Washington DC Message Boards

Universal Health Care for America

Guest CA

Guest Always Red

Boehner, YouTube Call for Different Direction on Health Care Reform

GOP Leader: "I believe that freedom is a right – and that any health care bill that takes away Americans' freedom is wrong."

House Republican Leader John Boehner (R-OH) has released a web video for YouTube's Citizen Tube in which he answers five health care questions submitted and voted on by the You Tube community. Boehner recorded the video on Thursday evening shortly after the conclusion of the nationally-televised health care "summit" hosted by President Obama.

"The questions posed to congressional leaders on You Tube are the same questions and concerns I hear from Americans across the country. They want to us scrap the current bill and start over with common-sense, step-by-step measures that lower health care costs. And they want to know why Congress insists on passing massive bills that no one in America has time to read or understand," Boehner said. "My Republican colleagues and I agree a different approach is needed – not just to health care reform, but to the way Congress works on every issue."

In the video, Boehner responds to citizens' questions about health care reform. "I believe that freedom is a right, and that any health care bill that takes away Americans' freedom is wrong," Boehner says in response to one submitted question. In other responses, the Republican Leader expresses his support for health care reforms aimed at lowering Americans' health care costs, such as medical liability reform and allowing Americans to purchase health insurance across state lines, and pledges he will insist on smaller, simpler bills and implement a mandatory 72-hour online reading period for all bills if Republicans are entrusted with the majority.

Over the past year, Republicans have used new media tools to interact directly with the American people. Whether on Twitter, where House Republicans outnumber their Democratic counterparts two-to-one, or YouTube, where eight of the top 10 most-viewed and most-subscribed YouTube channels in Congress are from the GOP, House Republicans are listening to and learning from the American people. Following is the video and the text of Leader Boehner's answers to You Tube:

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Always Red

“First let me thank the YouTube community for submitting some very thoughtful questions and comments. My colleagues and I believe the best ideas come from you, not from bureaucrats here in Washington. This effort isjust one more example of that.

“Before I get into your questions, I want to also make sure you knowthis isn’t the only chance you have to weigh in on the issues that areimportant to you and your family. Visit GOPLeader.gov to send me a message, or follow and reply to GOPLeaderon Twitter. With your help, direct media is making government more transparent and accountable. Forward this video to your friends, and let’s work together to make sure Washington listens to the people.

“The first submission is from ‘Blinn’ in Illinois. Blinn says ‘All people voting on these bills should be required to personally read the entire bill before being allowed to vote on it. It is ridiculous that these bills are thousands of pages long. Bills should be written inclear language.’

“Blinn, Americans have the right to know what is in these massive bills before Congress votes on them, and if I become Speaker of the House,we’ll run the House differently – differently from the current majority and from past Republican ones. And if I become speaker, there will be a72 hour reading period before any bill is brought to the floor. It’spart of our congressional transparency Initiative – you can check itout at GOPLeader.gov/ReadTheBill.

“But in addition to that, we don’t need to have these really big bills. We can keep these bills smaller, more targeted, so that people actually can read them and understand what they’re voting on before they come to the floor.

“Next, ‘C. Rodgers’ from Lincoln, Nebraska asks ‘Why not quit artificially limiting the market? Stop tying health insurance toemployers and increase the market dramatically. Allow insurance providers to sell across state lines and increase it even more. The larger the market the lower the price.’

“This is really one of the centerpieces of our Republican health care proposal. Marsha Blackburn talked about it today at the summit. Democrats claim they’ve included it in their bill, but they really haven’t. What theyreally are trying to do is say, we’ve got the same thing – buying across state lines – but only if you go to a government–run exchange with a government mandated health insurance policy that’s going to be designed by the government as well.

“Republicans believe that you should be able to buy any insurance policy across state lines and you can decide for yourself fits the needs for you and your family.

“Up next we have Pat from Chicago who asks ‘Thompson Reuters had performed a study in which they concluded that 40% of healthcare wastewas from unnecessary care. Unnecessary care is primarily a result of afear of being sued, aka malpractice. What is being done to address malpractice?’

“Well Pat, you heard today that medical malpractice is really important. And it’s not just that we reform this so that we’re not driving doctors out of states and out of communities, it’s also because of the defensive medicine that doctors practice.

“You know it was brought up today a number of times, but we never really got into the numbers. The Congressional Budget Office says that we would save $54 billion over the next ten years in the government-run programs if we had medical malpractice reform. PricewaterhouseCoopers issued a report in 2006 that said that we would save up to $125 billion over the next ten years.

“And we’ve got other reports. One that came out was a Gallup study that was done just six weeks ago, and they interviewed doctors all across the country, and a majority of doctors claimed that 26 percent of the care they give is defensive medicine. We know that if we can eliminate all of this defensive medicine that’s going on, we can dramatically lower the cost of health insurance around the country.

“Brian, a student, asks: ‘Do you believe that healthcare is a right, or that health insurance is a right?’

“We all know that if you have a health emergency in America, you have aright to be treated. It’s as clear as that. Health insurance – I’m not quite sure I’d call it a right – but we would clearly like to make health insurance affordable for more Americans. And the way to do thatis to drive down costs in the current system.

“I believe freedom is a right, and any health care bill that takes away Americans’ freedom is wrong. I think Americans should have the freedomto choose their own health care, and that the government shouldn’t choose it for them.

“Finally, the number one question based on your votes comes from Chrisat the University of Florida. Chris says: ‘What is the explicit reasoning behind mandating the purchase of healthcare services?’

“Well, Chris, liberals believe mandating health care coverage will lower costs. I believe that mandating coverage like this for everyone is unconstitutional. And I think there are better things we can do to lower the cost of health care and make it more affordable for all Americans.

“Well, that’s the last of the questions, but this conversation on health care is far from over. Visit GOPLeader.gov and reply to me via Twitter at GOPLeader. Thanks for watching.”

Guest ALWAYS RED

The emerging consensus after yesterday’s White House summit is that it failed to change public opposition to a massive government takeover of health care, while Republicans effectively articulated Americans’ demands for Washington to start over with a step-by-step, common-sense approach focused on lowering costs for families and small businesses. Here’s what they’re saying:

“HARD TO PICTURE HOW THE SUMMIT CHANGED” PUBLIC OPINION, “FOLKS IN THE WHITE HOUSE JUST MUST BE KICKING THEMSELVES RIGHT NOW”

“…Democrats are no more certain of getting health care done after the summit than they were before. The seven-hour session did little to change the underlying dynamics of the debate. …[T]he Republicans who showed up generally looked reasonable and sincere. Gallup polls going in showed the public didn’t favor Obama’s bill and also opposed the reconciliation process

– and it’s hard to picture how the summit changed those results.” (Politico, 2/26/10)

“After more than six hours of extraordinary debate on Thursday over health care policy, President Obama had not won over any of the Republicans, and he seemed to end the day largely where he started, with little choice but to try to rally his Democrats to act on their own.” (The New York Times, 2/26/10)

TIME’s Mark Halperin: “Today was an attempt to say to the Republicans and the country, this is your last chance to get on board with us. … I don`t think either of those things occurred. I don’t think [Democrats] increased their public support today.” (PBS, 2/25/10)

“According to strategists involved in 2010 races, fence-sitting Democrats needed to see Obama change the political dynamic. He needed to show how health care reform could be defended and how Republicans could be brought low. He did neither. White House aides and the president himself said he was going to press Republicans for how their plans would work, but he did that only twice -- and mildly. There was no put-up-or-shut-up moment." (Slate, 2/25/10)

“But in this case, the tie goes to Republicans, according to operatives on both sides of the aisle — because the stakes were so much higher for Democrats trying to build their case for ramming reform through using a 51-vote reconciliation tactic.” (Politico, 2/25/10)

National Review Online editorial: “…t seems likely that the public will react to what they heard from the Blair House meeting much as they have to the months-long debate in Congress: by agreeing in larger numbers with the Republican view that the bill the Democrats are pushing is hopelessly flawed.” (2/26/10)

CNN senior political analyst David Gergen: “The folks in the White House just must be kicking themselves right now. They thought that coming out of Baltimore when the President went in and was mesmerizing and commanding in front of the House Republicans that he could do that again here today. That would revive health care and would change the public opinion about their health care bill and they can go on to victory. Just the opposite has happened.” (CNN, 2/25/10)

REPUBLICANS “VERY EFFECTIVE,” “MORE THAN HELD THEIR OWN,” “BROUGHT THEIR A-TEAM”

“Healthcare summit ends: GOP scores, but both sides still far apart. The Republicans probably did themselves a favor by accepting Obama’s invitation to meet. … The Republicans were less deferential, more willing to interrupt the chief executive, who sat at the table, rather than standing at a lectern. The Republicans came with props – copies of the 2,700-page Senate Democratic healthcare bill – that illustrated the complexity and magnitude of what the White House is hoping to achieve.” (The Christian Science Monitor, 2/25/10)

New York Times columnist David Brooks: “If you thought Republicans were a bunch of naysayers who don’t know or care about health care, then this was not the event for you. They more than held their own.” (The New York Times, 2/26/10)

The Hill’s A.B. Stoddard: “I think we need to start out by acknowledging Republicans brought their A-Team. They had doctors knowledgeable about the system, they brought substance to the table, and they, I thought, expressed interest in the reform.” (Fox News, 2/25/10)

Fox News political analyst Charles Krauthammer: “The Republicans really helped themselves. The argument against them, it’s the party of no, they have no ideas, they are against anything, they’re nihilists. In fact, they spent seven hours, I think, presenting a very strong case. They're knowledgeable. They have ideas. They are interested in reform, but they have differences. Lamar Alexander was dazzling, Paul Ryan was rapier sharp in rebutting all of the smoke and mirrors that the democrats had presented.” (Fox News, 2/25/10)

“Republicans Use Multimedia Strategy to Attack Health Plans. ... Throughout the day, House and Senate Republican leadership offices issued “fact check” press releases that questioned the accuracy of Democratic comments on everything from Medicare cuts to cost controls on their health care reform proposals. By day’s end, the joint leadership effort was expected to have sent out more than 20 fact check e-mails to reporters, aides said. More than a dozen House Republicans appeared at least 54 times on television and radio programs on Wednesday and Thursday to talk about the health care summit.” (Roll Call, 2/26/10)

CNN senior political analyst Gloria Borger: “The Republicans have been very effective today. They really did come to play. They were very smart.” (CNN, 2/25/10)

CBS News chief political consultant Marc Ambinder: “The Summit was a Tie -- And That's Good News for GOP. Indeed, Republicans were successful when the focus of the debate was on process -- the details of the deals that Democrats and the White House struck with key states and the (seeming) lack of transparency.” (CBS Political Hotsheet blog, 2/25/10)

REPUBLICANS “COME OUT SWINGING,” REPEATEDLY ASKING THE PRESIDENT TO ‘SCRAP THE BILL’”

“Republicans come out swinging at health summit…. Republicans repeatedly cited public opinion polls showing that more Americans oppose healthcare revamp bills passed by Democrats in the House and Senate than approve of them.” (Reuters, 2/25/10)

“Republicans opened fire almost immediately, demanding that the president rule out using reconciliation to move a bill and repeatedly blasting the Democratic bills as a big-government Washington takeover of the healthcare system that would raise costs for average Americans.” (CongressDaily, 2/25/10)

“Republicans said Democrats should ‘scrap this bill … and start over again on a clean sheet of paper,’ as House GOP leader John Boehner put it, adopting a "step-by-step" approach that would cost less and prescribe a smaller government role.” (USA Today, 2/26/10)

“Republicans said that they share Democrats' assessment that the health-care system is broken, but that they view the pending legislation assembled by Democrats as deeply flawed. They questioned fundamental elements of the Democrats' approach, including whether it is appropriate for the government to set standards for coverage or require individuals to buy insurance.” (The Washington Post, 2/26/10)

“The GOP continued to assail Obama's proposal for its cost and size, repeatedly asking the president to ‘scrap the bill’ and start over.” (The Hill, 2/25/10)

“Congressional Republicans on Thursday again urged President Obama to scrap his plans for overhauling the health care system and restart the debate on how best to control medical costs and expand insurance coverage.” (CQ Today, 2/26/10)

“Rep. Charles Boustany Jr. (R-La.), a heart surgeon for 20 years, repeated Republican calls for ‘a step-by-step approach’ to reform rather than the Democrats' proposals for a comprehensive overhaul of the nation's $2.5 trillion health-care system.” (The Washington Post, 2/25/10)

“In a mid-afternoon session devoted to the deficit, House Republican Minority Leader John A. Boehner of Ohio unleashed a broad attack on the entire plan, calling parts of it unconstitutional. ‘This 2,700-page bill will help bankrupt our country," Boehner said. He labeled it ‘a dangerous experiment with the best healthcare system in the world. . . . I could go on and on and on.’” (Los Angeles Times, 2/26/10)

“Republicans, led by House Republican Leader John Boehner, called repeatedly for Democrats to start over. ‘The thing I have heard more than anything over the last six or seven months is that the American people want us to scrap this bill,’ Boehner said.” (New York Daily News, 2/26/10)

Guest Soldier of God

This page scares me.

http://reproductiveaccess.org/getting_started/faq.htm

Home > Clinicians > Integrating Early Abortion into Your Practice

FQHCs may provide abortion services so long as no Title X or 330 funds, directly or indirectly, support the provision of the abortion services.

If your CHC is a Federally Qualified Health Center AND purchases FQHC insurance from the federal government, your malpractice policy specifically excludes abortion services. However, "add-on" or "wrap around" policies are available and health centers have sometimes already purchased a wrap around policy for other areas of care that the Federal insurance does not cover (hospital medicine, obstetrics); contact RHAP for more information.

# Providing abortion services at the CHC provides continuity of care. As you know well, every time a referral is made to another system, some of your patients will fall through the cracks

# At many high-volume abortion clinics, women must deal with picketers or harassment

# Many women struggle intensely with the decision to have an abortion. Being able to talk it through and then just take a pill given by their own physician with support and understanding can make all the difference

# Referral to a clinic means additional appointments and travel for your patient, delaying the care she needs. The earlier abortion is provided the safer it is.

# By providing abortion as an integrated part of primary health care, you are decreasing the marginalization of women who need this service and the clinicians who provide it

Patients often sit in the exam room for 10 or 15 minutes waiting for the clinician. Consider putting up prochoice posters along with all the other informational posters on the walls of your exam room, along with patient-friendly artwork. You can also place bumper stickers and buttons on your bulletin boards with slogans such as "You are not alone, 45% of women have had an abortion" and "Ask me about Emergency Contraception".

Medication abortion using mifepristone and misoprostol involves 2 office visits, lab tests, ultrasounds, and administration of medication. The following codes can be used when providing these services:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Visit 1

Includes verification of pregnancy and pregnancy date, counseling of the patient, and administration of mifepristone,

Diagnosis code 635.92 (legally induced abortion, without mention of complication, complete). Please check ICD-9 manual for other codes for abortion with complications). Five-digit diagnosis code needed.

99204 or 99214 (level 4 new or established patient E/M visit)

J8499 (prescription drug, oral, nonchemo, not otherwise specified) or

J3490 (unclassified drug). If J codes are not accepted by insurance carrier, use 99070 (a cost of materials CPT code) or S0190 for Mifepristone. Each insurance carrier may reimburse for mifepristone using a different code. The name of the drug (mifepristone), the dosage (200 mg.), and the 11-digit national drug code (NDC) from the drug package must accompany this claim. In addition, submit a copy of the drug invoice to show the cost of the drug.

76817 (transvaginal ultrasound, pregnant uterus) or 76815 (limited ultrasound, pregnant uterus)

In addition, submit codes for appropriate lab tests or Micro Rhogham (90385) if done in office.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Visit 2

Verifies that the pregnancy has ended.

Diagnosis code 635.92

99213 or 99214 (level 3 or 4 E/M visit for established patient)

76817 or 76815 (ultrasound)

Sponsored by

http://www.earlyopti..._payer_policies

In the manager's amendment Senate Leader Harry Reid added to the Senate health care bill, HR 3590, a little noticed provision allowed $7 billion in funding for Community Health Centers buried deep in Section 10503 of the 383-page amendment.

A Manager's Amendment is a package of numerous individual amendments agreed to by both sides in advance.

The managers are the majority and the minority member who manage the debate on a bill for their side. This can be used in the Senate and the House of Representatives.

SEC. 10503. COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS AND THE NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE CORPS FUND.

(a) Purpose- It is the purpose of this section to establish a Community Health Center Fund (referred to in this section as the `CHC Fund'), to be administered through the Office of the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services to provide for expanded and sustained national investment in community health centers under section 330 of the Public Health Service Act and the National Health Service Corps.

( b ) Funding- There is authorized to be appropriated, and there is appropriated, out of any monies in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, to the CHC Fund--

(1) to be transferred to the Secretary of Health and Human Services to provide enhanced funding for the community health center program under section 330 of the Public Health Service Act--

( A ) $700,000,000 for fiscal year 2011;

( B ) $800,000,000 for fiscal year 2012;

( C ) $1,000,000,000 for fiscal year 2013;

( D ) $1,600,000,000 for fiscal year 2014; and

( E ) $2,900,000,000 for fiscal year 2015; and

(2) to be transferred to the Secretary of Health and Human Services to provide enhanced funding for the National Health Service Corps--

( A ) $290,000,000 for fiscal year 2011;

( B ) $295,000,000 for fiscal year 2012;

( C ) $300,000,000 for fiscal year 2013;

( D ) $305,000,000 for fiscal year 2014; and

( E ) $310,000,000 for fiscal year 2015.

( c ) Construction- There is authorized to be appropriated, and there is appropriated, out of any monies in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $1,500,000,000 to be available for fiscal years 2011 through 2015 to be used by the Secretary of Health and Human Services for the construction and renovation of community health centers.

( d ) Use of Fund- The Secretary of Health and Human Services shall transfer amounts in the CHC Fund to accounts within the Department of Health and Human Services to increase funding, over the fiscal year 2008 level, for community health centers and the National Health Service Corps.

( e ) Availability- Amounts appropriated under subsections ( b ) and ( c ) shall remain available until expended

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

White House Definition of CFC in HC

Invest in Community Health Centers.

Community health centers play a critical role in providing quality care in underserved areas. About 1,250 centers provide care to 20 million people, with an emphasis on preventive and primary care. The Senate bill increases funding to these centers for services by $7 billion and for construction by $1.5 billion over 5 years. The House bill provides $12 billion over the same 5 years. Bridging the difference, the President's Proposal invests $11 billion in these centers.

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

December 09, 2009 White House Release

Remarks by the President on Community Health Centers

South Court Auditorium

12:39 P.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Good afternoon, everybody. I am pleased that you could all join us today as we announce three new initiatives to help our community health centers provide better care to people in need all across America. (Applause.)

I want to thank our Secretary of Health and Human Services, Kathleen Sebelius; our Surgeon General, Dr. Regina Benjamin; our Administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration, Dr. Mary Wakefield; and our Deputy Secretary of HHS, Bill Corr, for being here today and for their outstanding work to support community health centers. There they are. (Applause.) By the way, Regina, it's good to see you in your uniform. (Laughter.) We had been waiting for that.

I also want to thank the many members of Congress who are with us today both in the audience and up on the stage, particularly Bernie Sanders and Representative Jim Clyburn. We are grateful for all that you've done. (Applause.)

And I especially want to recognize the leaders here today from health centers across the country for what all of you are doing in your communities every day –- working long hours to provide quality care at prices that people can afford, with the dignity and respect they deserve, and in a way that takes into account the challenges that they face in their lives.

For you folks, health care isn't just about diagnosing patients and treating illness –- it's about caring for people and promoting wellness. It's about emphasizing education and prevention, and helping people lead healthier lives so they don't get sick in the first place.

And it works. Studies show that people living near a health center are less likely to go to the emergency room and less likely to have unmet critical medical needs. CHCs are proven to reduce ethnic and racial disparities in care. And the medical expenses of regular CHC patients are nearly 25 percent lower than those folks who get their care elsewhere -- 25 percent lower.

So you can see why, in a speech marking the first anniversary of the first community health centers in America, Senator Ted Kennedy declared, "You have not only assured the best in health care for your families and neighbors, but you've also begun a minor revolution in American medicine."

Now, unfortunately, today, nearly 45 years later, that care has yet to reach many of the folks in this country who need it most. Today, millions of Americans still have difficulty accessing primary health care, and many of them are uninsured. Many have insurance, but live in underserved areas, whether in urban or rural communities. So they don't get regular checkups, they don't get routine screenings. When they get sick or hurt, they tough it out and hope for the best, and when things get bad enough they head to the emergency room.

So we end up treating complications, crises and chronic conditions that could have been prevented in the first place. And the cost is measured not just in dollars spent on health care, or in lost workplace absences and lower productivity, but in the kind of raw human suffering that has no place in the United States of America in the year 2009.

No matter what party we belong to, or where on the political spectrum we fall, none of us thinks this is acceptable. None of us would defend this system. And that's why we've taken up the cause of health insurance reform this year. It's why many of the folks in this room fought so hard to ensure that the Recovery Act included unprecedented investments –- a total of $2 billion –- to upgrade and expand our health centers –- investments that embody the act's core mission: to help folks hardest hit by this recession, to put people back to work, and to leave a legacy of improvements that will continue to lift up communities for generations to come.

Today, we're well on our way to meeting these goals. We've created or saved up to 1.6 million jobs, according to the CBO -- the Congressional Budget Office -- through the Recovery Act. Our economy is growing again. We're doubling our capacity in renewable energy and rebuilding schools and laboratories, railways, and highways. Yesterday, the Kaiser Family Foundation issued a new report showing the Recovery Act has helped many states keep and improve access to health insurance for families in need.

And so far, we've allocated nearly $1.4 billion to health centers across America so they can get to work building and renovating and hiring new staff this year. And today, I'm pleased to announce that we're awarding more than $500 million to 85 centers in more than 30 states and Puerto Rico that are providing critical care for so many folks with nowhere else to turn. (Applause.)

We're investing in places like Canyonlands Community Health Care in Arizona, that has one facility operating in a building originally constructed as a chicken coop and another in a cramped fire station. We're investing in places like Avis Goodwin Community Health center in Dover, New Hampshire, that's become so overcrowded -- you must be from there. (Laughter.) It's become so overcrowded the doctors are using bathrooms and closets as offices. We're investing in Bucksport Regional Health Center in Maine, where doctors are double-booked and the waiting rooms are often standing room only. We're giving places like these the funding they need to upgrade and expand their facilities so they can meet the skyrocketing demand for services that's come with this economic downturn.

But we won't just want our health centers to provide more care for more patients; we want them to provide better care as well. So starting today, we're making $88 million in funding available for centers to adopt new health information technology systems to manage their administrative and financial matters and transfer old paper files to electronic medical records. (Applause.) These investments won't just increase efficiency and lower costs, they'll improve the quality of care as well –- preventing countless medical errors, and allowing providers to spend less time with paperwork and more time with patients.

That's the purpose of the final initiative I'm announcing today as well -– a demonstration project to evaluate the benefits of the "medical home" model of care that many of our health centers aspire to. The idea here is very simple: that in order for care to be effective, it needs to be coordinated. It's a model where the center that serves as your medical home might help you keep track of your prescriptions, or get the referrals you need, or work with you to develop a plan of care that ensures your providers are working together to keep you healthy.

So taken together, these three initiatives –- funding for construction, technology, and a medical home demonstration –- they won't just save money over the long term and create more jobs, they're also going to give more people the peace of mind of knowing that health care will be there for them and their families when they need it.

And ultimately, that's what health insurance reform is really about. That's what the members of Congress here today will be voting on in the coming weeks. (Applause.)

Now, let me just end by saying a little bit about this broader effort. I know it's been a long road. (Laughter.) I know it's been a tough fight. But I also know the reason we've taken up this cause is the very same reason why so many members from both parties are here today –- because no matter what our politics are, we know that when it comes to health care, the people we serve deserve better.

The legislation in Congress today contains both Democratic ideas and Republican ideas, and plenty of compromises in between. The Senate made critical progress last night with a creative new framework that I believe will help pave the way for final passage and a historic achievement on behalf of the American people. I support this effort, especially since it's aimed at increasing choice and competition and lowering cost. So I want to thank all of you for sticking with it, for all those late nights, all the long weekends that you guys have put in. With so much at stake, this is well worth all of our efforts.

It is now my pleasure to sign the memo that will direct Secretary Sebelius to get started on that medical home demonstration. So let's do that. (Applause.)

END

12:48 P.M. EST

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

Title V. Health Care Workforce

Expanding Community Health Centers

The Act provides $11 billion in funding for the operation, expansion, and construction of community health centers throughout the Nation. This investment will help community health centers provide better care to people in need all across America.

http://www.whitehous...-health-centers

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

Guest ALWAYSRED

Add to your list:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/president-obama-announces-recovery-act-awards-build-renovate-community-health-cente

Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC)

FQHCs provide comprehensive primary and preventive health care for medically underserved populations who face the greatest economic and geographic barriers to accessing care. Overseen by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), the Health Center program is a national network of more than 1,100 community, migrant, homeless and public housing health center grantees. These organizations provide health care at more than 7,500 clinical sites, ranging from large medical facilities to mobile vans. In 2008, health centers served more than 17 million medically underserved people. FQHCs provide an environment to demonstrate the benefits of medical homes can offer to Medicare beneficiaries.

New Medicare Demonstration

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and HRSA will develop the demonstration, which would include a solicitation of applications from FQHC grantees. To participate, FQHC grantees will need to demonstrate that their clinic sites have the capacity to deliver continuous and coordinated care across providers and settings, including improving access to care by expanding service hours, facilitating and following up on referrals, and managing medications prescribed by different physicians. FQHC clinic sites selected to participate in the demonstration will receive a monthly care management fee for each Medicare fee-for-service beneficiary they enroll into the demonstration, in addition to payment for any other covered Medicare services they provide.

Guest Solomon24

http://www.americanwomensservices.com/faq/index.php?ans=cost

Will Insurance/Medicaid Cover The Procedure?

Most insurance companies will cover some, if not all, of the surgical procedure when done in the first trimester. You can call your insurance company to find out what your plan will cover.

Certain state assistance programs will cover elective abortion. This varies from state to state. American Women’s Services accepts Medicaid in New Jersey and Maryland Medical Assistance. Fee reductions are offered to patients in Pennsylvania and Virginia with medical assistance cards.

If you are interested in using insurance or medical assistance, please have your insurance information handy and call (800) 501-9162 to have them verify your coverage.

In December 2009, on the heels of the House of Representatives passing a health care reform bill that includes an abortion coverage ban, the Senate passed its reform measure. The Senate’s bill, while different from the House’s, inexcusably and impermissibly restricts coverage for abortion. Women throughout the country stand to lose if either provision is included in the final law. When the two chambers reconcile the differences between these bills, they should remove both the Senate and House abortion restrictions and instead ensure that real access to abortion coverage is included in the final health care legislation that they deliver to President Obama.

Guest ALWAYSRED

Contact this group and get their position on abortion

http://www.chc1.com/About/OurMission.html

Community Health Center, Inc. is a private, non-profit agency providing primary care and social services. Its quality health care services are available to all, and particularly to those who cannot gain access to such services elsewhere. The Community Health Center, Inc. takes leadership in promoting interagency cooperation. It is based on consumer control and is committed to ensuring human rights and respecting human dignity; as such, it strives to be a voice and vehicle for social change.

Both Democrats and Republicans agree on doing away with Pre-Existing Conditions.

If the Democrats do not wish to build upon from that point? Then the Democrats are just PLAYING POLITICS at the Disabled Communities Expense.

Guest Wait a minute

There are disagreements about whether abortion services should be covered in proposed health care reform plans. But as long as abortion funding is denied to low-income women, the effect is discriminatory and unfair. The Supreme Court has ruled that the right to choose abortion is guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. If a government sponsored universal health care plan fails to cover abortion, all women will lose insurance funding for this procedure, and low-income women and young women will be especially penalized. The right to make private decisions about childbearing and reproductive health care should apply to all women, not just those who can afford it.

Health Care Reform, Health Care Insurance Reform, Health Care Bill, Universal health Care, Health Care for Unions. Health Care Entitlement Reform.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both Democrats and Republicans agree on doing away with Pre-Existing Conditions.

If the Democrats do not wish to build upon from that point? Then the Democrats are just PLAYING POLITICS at the Disabled Communities Expense.

Guest Derrick Jones

Any member of Congress who votes for the final legislation proposed by President Obama will be voting for direct federal funding of elective abortion through Community Health Centers, and also an array of other pro-abortion federal subsidies and mandates.

Here is one problem, offered for illustration: The Senate bill, due to a last-minute amendment, provides $7 billion for the nation's 1,250 Community Health Centers, without any restriction whatever on the use of these federal funds to pay directly for abortion on demand. (These funds are entirely untouched by the "Hyde Amendment" that currently covers Medicaid.) Obama today proposed to increase that figure to $11 billion, but without adding a prohibition on the use of the funds for abortion. (The House-passed bill would provide $12 billion, but in the House bill the funds would be covered by the Stupak-Pitts Amendment.) Two pro-abortion groups, the Reproductive Health Access Project and the Abortion Access Project, are already actively campaigning for Community Health Centers to perform elective abortions. In short, the Senate bill would allow direct federal funding of abortion on demand through Community Health Centers. A memorandum documenting this issue in further detail is posted here:

http://www.nrlc.org/AHC/NRLCmemoCommHealth.pdf

Guest Human

All under the guise of universal health care. There is one bright spot? The Senate has NOT passed Universal Health Care also known as the Death Care Bill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this bill will hurt the elderly, disabled, and unborn. What monsters are they?

What we need to all understand is that like this bill, we all our not getting any younger.

Our children can put up with this rhetorical volleys all day long.

Force a cap on premiums. No patients are turned away. Physician care cost should depend on the level of premiums.

Luke

Guest Human

The democrats ARE going to do what they want to do, and THAT IS IT.

Nothing more to type about. The writing is already on the wall. THERE WILL BE NO NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE REPUBLICANS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What we need to all understand is that like this bill, we all our not getting any younger.

Our children can put up with this rhetorical volleys all day long.

Force a cap on premiums. No patients are turned away. Physician care cost should depend on the level of premiums.

Luke

Misinformation. Confusion. Chaos. In many ways, those have been the hallmarks of the health insurance reform debate, leaving the public with little clear understanding about essential elements of the bills the House and Senate have passed.

To bring clarity where there has been confusion, and shed light on some little-known provisions that will result in big improvements for women, the National Partnership for Women & Families has produced a new fact sheet, Improving Health Care for Women & Families: The Top Ten Best Kept Secrets about Health Insurance Reform and Why Congress Should Pass It Without Delay.

1. Better Benefits

Women and families will be guaranteed coverage for the care they need, from the doctors they need. In addition to physician and hospital care, health plans will be required to cover maternity and newborn care, pediatric services (including dental and vision care), prescription drugs, laboratory services, and mental health services. They will have to offer a sufficient number of specialists and hospitals in their networks to meet the full range of health needs for those in their plans.

2. Better Care

The bill promotes innovative new ways to provide health care that will promote higher quality, better coordinated care built to meet the needs of patients and families. These new approaches will support better communication and coordination among health care providers – and between doctors and patients (and their families) – to prevent problems like harmful medication drug interactions, conflicting diagnoses, and duplicate tests and procedures.

3. Free Preventive Care

Both private health plans and Medicare will cover the full costs of a range of preventive services and immunizations, so women and families can stay healthy without worrying about the expensive co-payments or deductibles that now often keep them from getting the care they need.

4. Coverage for Young Adults

Recent high school and college graduates won’t be left without coverage as they struggle to find work and start their careers. The new legislation will let young adults stay on their parents’ insurance plans until they are 26 years old.

5. Help for Small Businesses

Small businesses, which are predominately owned and operated by women1, will be eligible for tax credits to help them provide health insurance coverage to their employees.

6. More Access to Family Planning

States will be allowed to expand Medicaid eligibility for family planning services without having to jump through cumbersome administrative hoops. This no-cost and highly effective provision will let states act quickly and more easily to expand access to basic preventive care for low-income women.

7. Help for Pregnant Women

Pregnant and parenting women in Medicaid will gain access to critical new services and providers – including maternal, infant and early childhood home visiting programs; support services for, and education about, post partum depression; and free-standing birth centers.

8. Assistance with Prescription Drug Costs

Older and disabled women on Medicare will get help paying for their prescription drugs.

9. Improved Conditions for Working Mothers

Employers will be required to provide a reasonable break time and place for nursing mothers to breast feed.

10. A Stronger Health Care Workforce

The health care workforce will be strengthened by enhanced training and support available for nurses and other primary care providers, and increased funding for school-based health centers.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.