Washington DC Message Boards

GOV SARAH PALIN TO BE MCCAIN'S RUNNING MATE

Psycho

I do not know about the rest of you, but I am a grown adult and like to read. I read about many different subjects and all this reminds me of is this:

n his 1821 play, Almansor, the German writer Heinrich Heine — referring to the burning of the Muslim holy book, the Qur'an, during the Spanish Inquisition — wrote, "Where they burn books, so too will they in the end burn human beings." ("Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning#...ical_background

I also do not like that fact that they are trying to force their religion on me, or on anyone else for that matter.

People acutely interested in high level politics in the US who also work in libraries may be interested in this Time magazine article about Sarah Palin. I was very interested in this paragraph.

[Former Wasilla mayor] Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. “She asked the library how she could go about banning books,” he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. “The librarian was aghast.” The librarian, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn’t be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire her for not giving “full support” to the mayor.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/...1837918,00.html

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ruth Rubinstein

The call of so-called feminists to coddle Palin is really disguised sexism and based on a medieval, male-chauvinist mentality that women are weak and fragile and should be protected. We don’t need an American Margaret Thatcher, an icon and poster child for right-wing policies that harm poor and middle-class working women, the majority of women. It’s time to expose Palin for what she really is.

Some women groups and advocates are screaming that media bashing of Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is sexism.

In truth, their call for media and the rest of the public to go slow in critiquing Sarah Palin is driven by real sexism. They are virtually saying: She’s a woman, who have been oppressed, and so don’t bash her, don’t allow the media and the public to grill her and criticize her sharply, like they do the male candidates. Actually, this kind of thinking smacks of a medieval male chauvinist, sexist mentality that said: Women are weak and fragile, so they should be protected, and put on a pedestal.

What this call to coddle Palin sets back the drive for women’s equality by the real women’s liberation movement. That movement fought for the right for women to enter the political fray and fight for progressive change on equal terms with men. Those so-called pro-women who are seeking to coddle Palin are really false feminists, who are betraying the ideals of women’s liberation. These false feminists are really closet sexists and feminists.

What the Bush people and the Republicans want to do is create a right-wing media icon out of Palin in the mold of Margaret Thatcher, a right-wing “Iron Lady”. And the mainstream, right-wing media rides on this by having her pose with a shotgun. And like Thatcher, the right-wingers want her to be their poster child for right-wing policies such as neo-liberalism {let the market and Wall Street take care of the economy, but let the working taxpayers bail out Wall Street, let Big Oil jack up gas prices and rip off the public), anti-science (stop stem-cell research, this might slash the profits of the drug companies) and anti-environment (drill, drill and drill even in the Alaska Natural Wildlife Refuge and to hell with the environment; global warming, what me worry? I’m worried about the welfare of Big Oil).

But the real story here is that like the old master Thatcher, the new American right-wing protégé Palin will work against the welfare of the working women of America, who make up the majority of American women. She is at bottom anti-feminist and anti-women. We don’t need an American Thatcher, a female poster child and icon for right-wing, anti-women policies! Time to expose Palin for what she really is! Time to get real!

Don't worry Raven, no one is going to tell you what you should, or should not believe in.

You are an adult, you can make up your own mind, and when you hit that certain age when you need bi-focal or tri-focal? Don't look upon it as a bad sign, look upon it as the age were you really get to live life to its fullest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not know about the rest of you, but I am a grown adult and like to read. I read about many different subjects and all this reminds me of is this:

n his 1821 play, Almansor, the German writer Heinrich Heine — referring to the burning of the Muslim holy book, the Qur'an, during the Spanish Inquisition — wrote, "Where they burn books, so too will they in the end burn human beings." ("Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning#...ical_background

I also do not like that fact that they are trying to force their religion on me, or on anyone else for that matter.

I think Palin is just a novelty simular to Obama was earlier this year. I am looking forward to the debates.

Hillary fans will soon realize that Sarah Palin is the direct opposite the Senator. Hillary is Pro-Gay, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Control, Pro-Healthcare, Pro-Stem Cell Research and attended Yale Law School. Sarah is creationist Anti-Gay, Anti-Choice, Pro-Gun, Anti-Health Care, Anti-Embryo Stem Cell Research, and a Bachelor of Science degree in communications-journalism at the University of Idaho.

Did you see where Governor Sarah Palin is sending her reletive to Iraq for a 1 year deployment? Isn't she admitting to having troops in Iraq for at least a year???

I think her son Track is in the National Guard and is only required to serve one year. Although, I have heard that security will be tighter around him.

I have been reading Charles Gibson's interview with Republican vice presidential nominee. What Sarah Palin revealed is that she has not been interested enough in world affairs to become minimally conversant with the issues. The AP says Palin "struggled with foreign policy, unable to describe President Bush's doctrine of pre-emptive strikes against threatening nations and acknowledging she's never met a foreign head of state." The Chicago Tribune also notes Palin "seemed unfamiliar with the 'Bush doctrine,' which says the United States does not need to wait to be attacked before going to war." The New York Times says in "choosing Mr. Gibson as Ms. Palin's interlocutor, the campaign was going with a journalist known for having a mild manner but the gravitas to be taken seriously. But the interview was hardly gentle." Gibson "expressed exasperation" with Palin, complaining that she "had buried him in 'a blizzard of words.'" When she was quizzed if she could step in to be the US president, she said: "I'm ready."

The Wall Street Journal reports Palin said Georgia and Ukraine "should be admitted to NATO and that the U.S. should be prepared to go to war if Russia invades Georgia again." The Washington Post says Palin's remarks "were strikingly devoid of the diplomatic language generally used by U.S. officials when discussing relations with Russia." She also condoned cross-border attacks into Pakistan, a move McCain warned against because Pakistan is a sovereign country. Gibson questioned Palin if new sanctions fail to stem Iran's nuclear program if she would back Israel if it were to seek to eliminate Iran's facilities militarily. "We are friends with Israel," Palin said, "and I don't think that we should second-guess the measures that Israel has to take to defend themselves and for their security." When pressed, she said twice more that she would not "second guess" Israel.

Later on Nightline, she said she agreed to disagree with McCain over drilling for oil in Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, which she favors and he has not. The Los Angeles Times said that Mrs Palin's interview "wasn't without stumbles. The Alaska governor reversed her stand on the cause of climate change, telling ABC News that she believes "man's activities certainly can be contributing to the issue of global warming." Less than a year ago, she said the opposite. In an interview with a Fairbanks newspaper within the last year, Palin said: "I'm not an Al Gore, doom-and-gloom environmentalist blaming the changes in our climate on human activity."

Guest Fire Is Born

Former Alaska Native chief speaks out on Palin, oil and his state of Alaska

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/tundra-talk/...ka.html?start=1

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooo

Let me get specific about what is at stake and how this relates to Palin and the Republican leadership in Alaska and across this country. To this day, Alaska Native peoples are among the only Indigenous peoples in all of North America whose Indigenous Hunting and Fishing Rights have been extinguished by federal legislation and yet we are the most dependent people on this way of life. Most of our villages have no roads that connect them to cities; many live with poverty level incomes, and all rely to varying degrees on traditional hunting, fishing, and harvesting for survival. This has become known as the debate on Alaska Native Subsistence.

As Alaska Governor, Palin has continued the path of her predecessor Frank Murkowski in challenging attempts by Alaska Native people to regain their human right to their traditional way of life through subsistence.

The same piece of unilateral federal legislation, known as the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) of 1971, that extinguished our hunting and fishing rights, also extinguished all federal Alaska Native land claims and my Tribe’s reservation status. In the continental United States, this sort of legislation is referred to as ‘termination legislation’ because it takes the rights of self-government away from Tribes. It is based in the same age-old idea that we are not capable of governing our people, lands, and resources. To justify these terminations, ANCSA also created Alaska Native led for-profit corporations (which were provided the remaining lands not taken by the government and a one time payment the equivalent of about 1/20th of the annual profits made by corporations in Alaska each year) with a mission of exploiting the land in partnership with the US government and outside corporations. It was a brilliant piece of legislation for the legal termination and cultural assimilation of Alaska Natives under the guise of progress.

Since the passage of ANCSA, political leaders in Alaska, with a few exceptions, have maintained that, as stated by indicted Senator Ted Stevens, “Tribes have never existed in Alaska.” They maintain this position out of fear that the real injustice being carried out upon Alaska Natives may break into mainstream awareness and lead to a re-opening of due treaty dialogues between Alaska Native leaders and the federal government. At the same time the federal government chose to list Alaska Native tribes in the list of federally recognized tribes in 1993. Governor Palin maintains that tribes were federally recognized but that they do not have the same rights as the tribes in the continental United States to sovereignty and self-governance, even to the extent of legally challenging our Tribes rights pursuant to the Indian Child Welfare Act. What good are governments that can’t make decisions concerning their own land and people?

The colonial mentality in and towards Alaska is to exploit the land and resources for profits and power, at the expense of Alaska Native people. Governor Palin reflects this attitude and perspective in her words and leadership. She comes from an area within Alaska that was settled by relocated agricultural families from the continental United States in the second half of the last century. It is striking that a leader from that particular area feels she has a right, considering all of the injustices to Alaska Native people, to offer Alaskan oil and resources in an attempt to solve the national energy crisis at the Republican Convention. Palin also chose not to mention the connection between oil development and global warming, which is wreaking havoc on Alaska Native villages, forcing some to begin the process of relocation at a cost sure to reach into the hundreds of millions.

Our tribes depend on healthy and abundant land and animals for our survival. For example, my people depend on the Porcupine Caribou herd, which migrates into the coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge each spring to birth their young. Any disruption and contamination will directly impact the health and capacity for my people to continue to live in a homeland we have been blessed to live in for over 10,000 years. This is the sacrifice Palin offered to the nation. The worst part of it is that there are viable alternatives to addressing the energy crisis in the United States, yet Palin chooses options that very well may result in the extinguishment of some of the last remaining intact ecosystems and original cultures in all of North America. Palin is also promoting off shore oil drilling and increased mining in sensitive areas of Alaska, all of which would have a lifespan of far fewer years than my grandfather walked on this earth and which would not even make a smidgen of an impact on national consumption rates or longer term sustainability. McCain was once a champion of protecting the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and it is sad to see, that with Palin on board, he is no longer vocal and perhaps even giving up on what he believes in to satisfy Palin’s position.

While I have much more to say, this is my current offering to elevate the conversation about what is at stake in Alaska and for Alaska Native peoples. Please share this offering with others and help us to make this an election that brings out honest dialogue. We have an opportunity to bring lasting change, but only if we can be open to hearing the truth about our situations and facing the challenges that arise.

Many thanks to all those who are taking stands for a just and sustainable future for all of our future generations.

Guest Gloucester, VA

If John McCain really did as he claims to put "country first" he would have never selected her, someone with a very weak background in government and too many personal challenges, regardless of her gender.

I agree. I also do not like the fact that she is mixing church and state together saying the war is God's will. My God is not a vengeful one, and to cause harm to another is not his way.

If John McCain really did as he claims to put "country first" he would have never selected her, someone with a very weak background in government and too many personal challenges, regardless of her gender.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.adn.com/opinion/comment/story/295464.html

McCain VP pick laughs as radio host calls Alaskan Senator a ‘doggess’ and a ‘cancer’

During a radio interview last January, McCain VP nominee Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin laughed as the host questioned Alaska Senate President Lyda Green’s parenting, and then further attacked the cancer survivor calling her a “doggess” and a “cancer.”

Outraged Alaskan news media chastised the Governor for “conduct unbecoming a human being, never mind a governor.” and others demanding that Palin apologize for her behavior.

Gov. Palin’s office then released a public statement that said “Governor Palin was caught off guard by Bob Lester’s reference to Senate President Lyda Green.” but a writer for the Anchorage Daily News wrote in an op-ed that he ‘didn’t buy’ Palin’s explanation and goes on to relay the continued on air attack of Green, and Palin’s reactions:

“But there is more. Lester then describes Green’s chair as big and cushy. A clear reference to the senator’s weight. Palin laughs a third time. She’s just having a grand old time.

Palin was clearly enjoying every second of Lester’s vicious attack on her political rival.

But it gets worse.

Lester asks Palin point blank: “Do you have any idea of what you did, to make Lyda Green dislike you, hate you?” How does Palin respond? Does she do the right thing? What you would expect from a mature leader, a governor and say, “Bob, Lyda doesn’t hate me.”

No, she responds like a 13-year-old and says, “Um, you know once and a while I try to figure that out but I can’t figure that out.”

Guest McCain-Palin Victory 2008

When I joined John McCain as his running mate, I knew I was in for a roller coaster ride of ups and downs on the campaign trail. But, I want you to know that I joined John McCain and the others on our ticket in this great election because I'm putting our country first.

John McCain and I have been called "mavericks" and "reformers" because we're guided by shared values and principles and we're not afraid to stand up to the status quo in their defense. And that's why we want you to send us, and other reformers like us, to Washington.

Will you help send us to Washington by making a generous contribution of any amount to McCain-Palin Victory 2008 right away? Your financial support will go a long way in electing Reform Republicans in November.

As the mother of an active duty soldier, I want John McCain as our next Commander in Chief. And I want to elect a Congressional majority in November who has the courage to support our troops and who will stop bowing to political pressure and admit the surge has been successful. We need to send a team to Washington who will support the brave men and women in uniform and bring them home with their heads held high in victory.

Friends, in the course of a few weeks, the Obama-Biden Democrats have launched attack after attack on me, my family and John McCain. They're desperate to win and they'll no doubt launch these attacks against other reformers on our ticket.

They are spreading lies and misinformation and we must stop them. Your immediate contribution of any amount- whether it's $25 or $250- helps McCain-Palin Victory 2008 fight back before they turn these shameful tactics on others we support.

I'm sure you've heard that in this election, the Obama-Biden Democrats have a large financial advantage over us. You can help us close this gap today by following this link to make your secure online donation to McCain-Palin Victory 2008. The financial support you give today will make all the difference in this election. Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Governor Sarah Palin

P.S. I hope you will join me, John McCain and the other Reform Republicans in standing up to the status quo. Our ticket is ready to take Washington by storm and shake things up to address our nation's most pressing issues. Won't you join us today by making a financial contribution to McCain-Palin Victory 2008? Your generosity is appreciated and I look forward to seeing you out on the campaign trail. Thank you.

Guest Mike Summefield

I am asking all Republicans with power to consider for Sarah Palin to take herself out of the race as John McCain’s running mate. Conservative writer and thinker Kathleen Parker states that while Palin is “attractive, earnest, [and] confident,” she is just “way out of her league.” She cited Palin’s three most recent formal interviews (with Gibson, Hannity, and Couric) to back up her case.

Katie Couric interviewed John McCain and Sarah Palin together in Columbus, Ohio on September 29th 2008. It looked like Palin needed the help of her daddy to answer the questions.

Couric asked whether Palin and McCain were on the same page on his position on Afghanistan. Couric stated that Palin shares the same position as Obama when she said the US should "absolutely launch cross border attacks from Afghanistan into Pakistan..." "to stop the terrorists from coming any further in." A view that McCain criticized Democratic nominee Barack Obama For during the first debate. When Couric asked if Palin was sorry that she made the statement John McCain interjected and accused Katie Couric of "gotcha journalism" even though the quote from Palin came while she was talking to a voter, not a reporter.

View the video at YouTube.

Guest BlingBling_*

Everytime I look for something to write about Palin you folks are have done it.

I do look forward to Thursday night and debating Sen. Joe Biden," Palin said while introducing John McCain at a rally here. "We are going to talk about those new ideas, new energy for America. I'm looking forward to meeting him too. I've never met him before. But I've been hearing about his Senate speeches since I was in, like, second grade. - Sarah Palin

Couric: You have a 72-year-old running mate - is that kind of a risky thing to say, insinuating that Joe Biden's been around a while?

Palin: Oh no, it's nothing negative at all. He's got a lot of experience and just stating the fact there, that we've been hearing his speeches for all these years. So he's got a tremendous amount of experience and, you know, I'm the new energy, the new face, the new ideas and he's got the experience.

Does Sarah Palin take any time to think about the fact that her running mate is in fact older than the STATE OF ALASKA!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/30/...in4490618.shtml

Today John McCain praised Sarah Palin's knowledge of energy issues.

NPR: Given what you've said Senator, is there an occasion where you could imagine turning to Governor Palin for advice in a foreign policy crisis.

MCCAIN: I've turned to her advice many times in the past, I can't imagine turning to Senator Obama or Senator Biden cuz they've been wrong, they were wrong about Iraq, wrong about Russia...

NPR: But would you turn to Governor Palin?

MCCAIN: I certainly wouldn't turn to them, and I've already turned to Governor Palin particularly on energy issues and I've appreciated her background and knowledge on that and many other issues.

NPR: Does her energy qualification extend to the international energy market?

MCCAIN: Of course. Of course. That's what it's all about. It extends to a broad variety of issues from her worldview to threats that we face, to radical Islamic extremism, to specific areas of the world. I'm very proud of her, and proud of the knowledge and background that she has.

In August Sarah Palin supported Senator Obama's energy plan. This was taken straight from the State of Alaska web site.

No. 08-135

August 4, 2008, Fairbanks, Alaska - Governor Sarah Palin today responded to the energy plan put forward by the presumptive Democratic nominee for President, Illinois Senator Barack Obama.

"I am pleased to see Senator Obama acknowledge the huge potential Alaska's natural gas reserves represent in terms of clean energy and sound jobs," Governor Palin said. "The steps taken by the Alaska State Legislature this past week demonstrate that we are ready, willing and able to supply the energy our nation needs."

In a speech given in Lansing, Michigan, Senator Obama called for the completion of the Alaska natural gas pipeline, stating, "Over the next five years, we should also lease more of the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska for oil and gas production. And we should also tap more of our substantial natural gas reserves and work with the Canadian government to finally build the Alaska natural gas pipeline, delivering clean natural gas and creating good jobs in the process."

Governor Palin also acknowledged the Senator's proposal to offer $1,000 rebates to those struggling with the high cost of energy.

"We in Alaska feel that crunch and are taking steps to address it right here at home," Governor Palin said. "This is a tool that must be on the table to buy us time until our long-term energy plans can be put into place. We have already enjoyed the support of Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, and it is gratifying to see Senator Obama get on board."

The Governor did question the means to pay for Obama's proposed rebate a windfall profits tax on oil companies. In Alaska, the state's resource valuation system, ACES, provides strong incentives for companies to re-invest their profits in new production.

"Windfall profits taxes alone prevent additional investment in domestic production. Without new supplies from American reserves, our dependency and addiction to foreign sources of oil will continue," Governor Palin said.

I guess that means Sarah Palin supports Obama's Energy and Foreign Policy. So, maybe she should drop out and become an Obama Supporter.

Guest GO NAVY
post-3996-1220021421_thumbjpg

This morning Senator John McCain picked Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska as his running mate.

Picking Palin would be designed to appeal to women especially those who are still angry over Hillary Clinton not getting it and it would shake up this race in a big way.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW SARAH. WE WILL BE ROOTING FOR YOU!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Here is bigger story coming out. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s vendetta against the state trooper who divorced her sister may have spilled over into a broader retaliation against Alaska’s police with more than $2 million slashed from their budget as well as the elimination of temporary staff positions and the firing of the public safety commissioner, according to police representatives.

The Alaska Supreme Court has rejected Republican legislators' demand to withhold a legislative report on whether Gov. Sarah Palin improperly fired the state's public safety commissioner in a family vendetta. The court's order clears the way for a 14-member legislative panel to vote today on whether to release some or all of the 263-page report, and perhaps some of the hundreds of pages of supporting documents.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DC Resident

I see that Palin apologized for her 'real America' comment stating, "We believe that the best of America is in the small towns that we get to visit and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call real America, being here with all of you hard-working, very patriotic, very pro-America areas of this great nation."

According to Palin in an interview with Drew Griffin, it was a "misunderstanding" that people thought she meant some parts of the country are more "patriotic" than others. "I don't want that misunderstood," Palin said. "If that's the way it came across, I apologize."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.