Washington DC Message Boards

The District may get representation!!!!

After three years of relentless work by DC Vote, a mark-up is scheduled in the House Government Reform Committee for a piece of legislation that would give DC residents a voting representative in the House for the first time ever.

The new legislation is the DC Fair and Equal House Voting Rights Act of 2006, which was announced by Representative Tom Davis (R-VA) and Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC). DC Vote has worked closely with Davis, Norton, and other members of Congress to address concerns about the original DC voting rights legislation (H.R. 2043) and build a consensus for the new bill.

"We are on the brink of a major voting rights victory," said DC Vote Executive Director Ilir Zherka. "DC Vote has dedicated long hours and tireless efforts to see movement on a voting rights bill, and today we celebrate with our coalition partners as we take one step closer to bringing democracy to America's capital."

DC Vote urges a swift mark-up in committee and action by Congress. Americans must raise their voices to help encourage Congress to bring this important issue to the forefront.

"We call on Washingtonians to rise up," said Zherka. "We are the closest we have ever been to voting representation in Congress, and DC residents should be shouting from the rooftops and engaging friends across the country to make this critical bill a law."

DC Vote has organized coalition meetings, met with congressional staffers, educated the public on the importance of DC voting rights legislation, and proposed changes to improve the bill.

The DC FAIR Act (H.R. 2043) would:

Give the historically-Democratic District of Columbia its first voting member in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Give the historically-Republican state of Utah a fourth vote in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Create these two new seats in the House by temporarily raising the number of Representatives from 435 to 437. After the 2010 U.S. Census reapportionment, the number of House seats would return to 435 with DC retaining a full vote in the House.

Contact your congressman today. Here is a letter you can cut and paste.

As a constituent, I am asking you to help provide Americans living in Washington, DC, with representation in Congress by co-sponsoring H.R. 2043, the DC Fairness in Representation Act ('DC FAIR Act').

DC residents pay federal income taxes, serve on juries and die in wars to defend American democracy. But, they do not have voting representation in the U.S. House of Representatives or the U.S. Senate. As we work to extend and secure democracy around the world, the time has come to provide American democracy for Americans living in our nation’s capital.

As you may know, Representative Tom Davis introduced the DC FAIR Act in 2005 with Republican and Democratic co-sponsors and the support of the Washington, DC City Council and Mayor. The bill provides Washingtonians with a voting member of the House of Representatives for the first time ever.

Together with the No Taxation Without Representation Act (S. 195 and H.R. 398) sponsored by Senator Joe Lieberman and DC Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, there is growing bipartisan interest in addressing DC voting rights. Rep. Davis, Sen. Lieberman, Del. Norton and others are tapping into a strong sentiment throughout the country. A national poll conducted by KRS research in January 2005 showed that 82 percent of Americans believe that DC residents deserve full voting representation in Congress.

The DC FAIR Act is an excellent first step. Some are concerned that the bill would force redistricting in Utah. But, recently the congressional Republican delegation from Utah, together with Utah's Governor, have embraced making the fourth temporary seat "at-large," thereby eliminating the need for redistricting.

Please help bring American democracy to people living in America's capital by cosponsoring the DC FAIR Act.

Sincerely,

Your Full Name

Your Address

City, State Zip

This service will assist you by identifying your Congressperson in the U.S. House of Representatives and providing contact information.

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

I see that Mayor Anthony A. Williams today issued the following statement following the announcement that Rep. Tom Davis (R-VA) had partnered with Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton and other lawmakers on a bill providing voting representation in Congress for District residents.

“This legislation marks a solid step forward to full representation for the people of the District of Columbia and I’m grateful to our allies on the Hill, especially Tom Davis and Eleanor Holmes Norton. I believe this could be the year our city finally wins the same rights enjoyed by other American cities,” said Mayor Williams. “Critics say this bill shortchanges us because it does not include a vote in the Senate. I say this effort gets us halfway there and obviously brings us closer than ever to full voting rights.”

Mayor Williams continued, “I’ve been a supporter of this effort for some time and the announcement today that Eleanor believes in this bill tells me we are on the right track. I will be closely watching the House Government Reform and Judiciary Committees to see how this legislation advances.”

Keep it up Luke...

I would probably win the POWERBALL LOTTERY before DC ever gets real representation!

I see that Mayor Anthony A. Williams today issued the following statement following the announcement that Rep. Tom Davis (R-VA) had partnered with Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton and other lawmakers on a bill providing voting representation in Congress for District residents.

“This legislation marks a solid step forward to full representation for the people of the District of Columbia and I’m grateful to our allies on the Hill, especially Tom Davis and Eleanor Holmes Norton. I believe this could be the year our city finally wins the same rights enjoyed by other American cities,” said Mayor Williams. “Critics say this bill shortchanges us because it does not include a vote in the Senate. I say this effort gets us halfway there and obviously brings us closer than ever to full voting rights.”

Mayor Williams continued, “I’ve been a supporter of this effort for some time and the announcement today that Eleanor believes in this bill tells me we are on the right track. I will be closely watching the House Government Reform and Judiciary Committees to see how this legislation advances.”

Keep it up Luke...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.