Washington DC Message Boards

This shows a different perspective on Ward 3 voters

http://www.dcwatch.com/themail/2006/06-02-26.htm

The Children of Entitlement

Jonathan R. Rees, jrrees@peoplepc.com

In my quest to be elected as the next Ward 3 council person, I have had to attend events city wide and, in this respect, I was a bit surprised to listen to people living on the other side of the city and having to hear their views about the people of Ward 3 as it concerns our government. What I have been hearing has been a bit of a shock. The most common things said have been: 1) the people of Ward 3 are snobs; 2) the people of Ward 3 are behind the un-admitted-to gentrification of the city; 3) the people of Ward 3 don’t care about those who are less fortunate and, when they say they do, it is very superficial; 4) the people of Ward 3 should not get any tax breaks as they don’t need it; 5) the people of Ward 3 caused the poverty in the other parts of the city; 6) the people of Ward 3 should move into Montgomery County, as they do not pull their weight; and other statements in which hostility for Ward 3 is loud and clear. Then I had to hear that Mayor Williams took away so much from the poor and gave to the rich of Ward 3, and the people of Ward 3 should pay for this when the political winds shift.

Of course many in Ward 3 may find this hard to believe, but how many Ward 3 residents go to the other side of town and sit down and talk to people there? Probably not that many, unless their jobs requires it. What goes through my mind is, how many people over in Wards 1, 4, 5, 6, 7m and 8 hold these feelings of hostility for the people of Ward 3, whom many think have lived the good life at the expense of everybody else. Is this why members of our city council have been running often in different directions on so many issues known and unknown to the public?

I wonder if in 2007 when we have at least four to five new faces on our city council, will we see the anger for the policies of Mayor Williams and for Ward 3 residents manifest itself in the type of legislation that will come down the pipes from members of the city council from those wards where people have taken the brunt of Mayor Williams and our current city council; or will we just hear the angry words still in the downwinds?

Where to start?

Well how about the fact that Ward 3 Residents bare the loins share of taxes paid into the District's coffers by non businesses is the economic fact of who pays the bills in the District. Yet we have some of the most run down falicities or lack there of in the District. Are we asking for more services, nope we just want a fire station and perhaps schools to be upgraded sometime within the next 5 years.

As to what other Wards think of this Ward. Having worked in the South East part of the District from over 10 years I can state that most of the people that I have met are more concerned about their own problems and are not concerned with whether Ward 3 residents are snobs. They would like to just have the District to respond when called and that has nothing to do with our Ward. At the meeting I have attended over the decade our Ward is used as an example of how orginize and get what residents want do. From our friend's groups involved in the parks to phone trees, and now listsevers that orgainzie by area the residents.

Prehaps a someone running to represent our Ward should concern themselves with what votes in this Ward think needs to be done here and let those running for Districtwide office deal with such issues. Here is a hint ! the recent Tax assessment that have comeout have just about everyone up in arms and guess what Ward is bearing the burnt?

My final point is that Washington is not a City, it is a District and those running for office should at least know the difference as it is a big one.

Ah, but Nelson. You'll note that the "candidate" typically left himself a convenient way to distance himself from his own comments:

he'll claim that this was just what he "heard" when he's been "attending events" and "talking to voters".

It's ALWAYS hearsay with this guy.

When he gets weeded out in September, my guess is that he'll claim that he was A Simple Decent Man Of The People

Brought Down By Effete Snobs. Just watch.

"Snobs"! What a hoot. This whole thing reads like an editorial in a school newspaper: "I heard the 8th graders all think the 9th graders

think they're SOOOO cool. "

Where to start?

Well how about the fact that Ward 3 Residents bare the loins share of taxes paid into the District's coffers by non businesses is the economic fact of who pays the bills in the District. Yet we have some of the most run down falicities or lack there of in the District. Are we asking for more services, nope we just want a fire station and perhaps schools to be upgraded sometime within the next 5 years.

As to what other Wards think of this Ward. Having worked in the South East part of the District from over 10 years I can state that most of the people that I have met are more concerned about their own problems and are not concerned with whether Ward 3 residents are snobs. They would like to just have the District to respond when called and that has nothing to do with our Ward. At the meeting I have attended over the decade our Ward is used as an example of how orginize and get what residents want do. From our friend's groups involved in the parks to phone trees, and now listsevers that orgainzie by area the residents.

Prehaps a someone running to represent our Ward should concern themselves with what votes in this Ward think needs to be done here and let those running for Districtwide office deal with such issues. Here is a hint ! the recent Tax assessment that have comeout have just about everyone up in arms and guess what Ward is bearing the burnt?

My final point is that Washington is not a City, it is a District and those running for office should at least know the difference as it is a big one.

Edited by truthseeker

Now I see why everyone is fighting like cats, and dogs about ward 3. I did a google search on ward 3.

I admit it, I used google. I rarely use google for anything; I am not a big google fan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Human,

Actually there is not a cat and dog fight going on. In fact, I have not heard anything from any of the other announced candidates except that they are running for office.

I am hopeful now that the real candidates for office will begin to discuss the issues that affect our lives.

The tax assessment is a good start. Schools, public safety, and "affordable housing" are other issues of importance to me.

I also wouldn't mind if the Council considered some stringent internet laws, where impersonations are taken seriously. Something that the last several weeks has taught me...nothing should be taken for granted where rational public discourse is concerned.

B. Frank

You want to see real change , it's simple but you and others would NEVER BE ABLE TO DO IT.

The reason is real simple too, it's because of this ~~~~~~~~~~~~> 1995 internet decency act section 230

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also wouldn't mind if the Council considered some stringent internet laws, where impersonations are taken seriously. Something that the last several weeks has taught me...nothing should be taken for granted where rational public discourse is concerned.

B. Frank

Interesting. I hadn't seen that before.

Thanks for the reference.

Alas......

You want to see real change , it's simple but you and others would NEVER BE ABLE TO DO IT.

The reason is real simple too, it's because of this ~~~~~~~~~~~~> 1995 internet decency act section 230

BFrank; I saw the signs back then for the 1995 internet decency act section 230, and I did not put 2&2 together.

(This time I am not picking on your side of the isle "just so you know". That type of Legislation is why we ALL have the type of problems that we do have on the internet today. That's why no matter whether it be Republican Legislation's or Democrat Legislation's WE MUST AS A SOCIETY BE WATCHING WITH A MAGNIFYING LENS THE TYPE OF LEGISLATION BEING PUSHED THROUGH.)

There is MORE than enough room for both groups in this Country. :)

Human,

I agree with you.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.