Washington DC Message Boards

OK fine, after due diligence I realize the absurdity of what Newt Gingrich said in the Jacksonville, FL debate was pandering and not much more, but the man said what he said.

Newt Gingrich said by his second term as president, by year 2020, that America would have a moon colony with 13,000 Americans living there and that they could apply for statehood so America would have 51 states. He also mentioned he wanted "manufacturing plants" on the moon.

Reread that last paragraph anywhere from zero to one hundred times or however many times it takes to really sink in. I myself I had to rewind the DVR several times because how could his statements have been anything but grandiose rhetoric uttered by a mentally-unstable individual?

A moon base? 13,000 people living on the moon?Statehood for The Moon Colony? Manufacturing plant? So by Newt's thinking, allowing Washington, DC to become a state with her 550,000 residents is, and I direct quote him, "crazy," but building the 51st United State in 8 years, on THE MOON is a great idea?

Am I the only one who this completely astounds? It's one of the craziest things I've heard, ever, the reasons for which I'll expound on later while the other reasons are glaringly obvious.

Anyone reading this agree with me? Per the topic title, I'm not letting this one go, not for a while anyway.

I'm not 100 percent "all there," but neither am I completely ... hmm ... gotta keep this clean ... "completely off my rocker."

There are: "...more than 600,000 residents of rural communities still do not have the

basic water and sanitation services the rest of us take for granted."

So, over half a million people in the United States of America don't have running water, yet what the USA really needs is a moon base so we can have 50 U.S. states and 1 U.S Moon state?

That's a pretty glaring example of politicians not having their priorities straight. Maybe a good campaign slogan would be "indoor plumbing before moon stations."

Wow a moon base...sign me up! LOL...I think it would be a cool idea but don't we all agree that there are to many issues we need to address here on planet Earth/USA before we build a moon base ? Plus it would take more than two terms in office to build something like that. I have friends who work for NASA and i went to a symposium on just that topic over 10 years ago in DC with some of the TOP scientist in the field talking about 2020 as a target but as we all know we have not even started to build it yet so forget about 8 years...No way...not enough time to do so. I will add to this post later but now its off to work. Butter...

In theory, a moon base isn't really a bad idea, but we, as a country, have more pressing issues currently such as millions of people losing their Earth houses thanks to the big banks, etc. Where does Newt propose we acquire the two-trillion-plus dollars this moon base would require for construction? Newt and the Republican base are categorically opposed to raising taxes on the wealthy

so maybe more talk of gutting Social Security, Medicare, Education, et. al. I somehow think I'm not the only one who believes this may be a, ahem, "bad idea."

If Newt wants to cut spending but wants another state, why not just go with making Washington, DC a state? Oh that's right, because, in Newt's own words: "that would be crazy."

Right...

Guest Mike Demitz

It's actually not a bad idea, per se, but the main problem, really, the only problem, would be funding. It would be several trillion dollars after all is said and done, and it's just not money we have right now, and won't for a long time. Again, millions live at or below the poverty line (myself included), with no health insurance and no future. Combine those three facts with I'm also white and college educated, and I'd like to see the several trillion dollars spent on something else besides a "moon base."

For instance, I think there are a few thousand bridges built throughout the the U.S. interstate system in the 1960's that are in dire need of repair or replacement. That's one "for instance" and there are hundreds more: priorities people, priorities...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest J. Hammar

"I was sad when right after Obama signed the Affordable Care Act, he death-paneled my mom. Please shelter me on your moon base." - Comedian Rob Delaney

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter J. Cochran

A quick informal poll for DC Message Board readers: If you had a chance to live on the moon, would you take it? I personally would not, because, well, it's the moon and inhospitable to human life. Sure, the "inside" temperature would be a constant and pleasant 72 degrees Fahrenheit, but a "moon day" lasts an "earth month" (the time it take for the moon to spin on it's axis is about 29 earth days). The lack of earth gravity would be fun, but the constant threat of death by explosive decompression would be no fun at all. I guess truth be told I'd like to spend a few days there just to see what it was like, I just hope the American taxpayers wouldn't mind the 10-20 million dollars it would cost them for my excursion.

Peter

Poughkeepsie, NY

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peter Cochran

Well now that Mr. Gingrich is no longer a contender in the 2012 presidential race it appears the Moon Base will be shelved for a few more decades. If it weren't for the astronomical (pardon the expression) cost - that cost likely being in the tens (and perhaps hundreds) of trillions of dollars. Oh well, it was a nice school-boy science fiction fantasy while it lasted.

Peter C.

Poughkeepsie, NY

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.