Washington DC Message Boards

US Senator Larry Craig Gets Men's Room Footsie

Guest Mitchell Asford

Guest Mitchell Asford

You just have to love this kind of news about Republicans. Junior Senator from Idaho, Larry Craig has gotten caught up in some mess. Recently, Senator Craig pleaded guilty to a charge of third degree misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct.

According to the charges, Senator Craig initially stood outside a bathroom stall occupied by the officer, and then "look[ed] through the crack between the stall door and its frame into the stall that Sergeant Karsnia was occupaying," repeatedly "gazing into the stall" over a period of roughly two minutes. Craig allegedly "peered long enough" that the officer could “observe that the Defendant had blue eyes.”

After entering a bathroom stall next to the undercover officer’s, Craig allegedly moved his right foot from his own stall into the officer’s stall where he allegedly “touched Sergeant Karsnia's left foot” Next, the Idaho Senator was accused of swiping his hand under the bathroom stall divider three times with his palm up, moving it back and forth. The officer allged that he "observed a gold ring" on the ring finder of Craig’s left hand.

Approximately six (6) minutes after he first observed Craig allegedly peeping into his stall, followed by the bathroom stall encounter, the officer reported showed Senator Craig “his police identification under the stall,” and Craig allegedly “exclaimed 'No! GOP leaders are interested in the fact that Craig tried flashing a Senate business card during his arrest in a possible attempt to influence the outcome.

The senator was arrested and amazingly the story had been quiet for 3 months, up until yesterday. Craig now regrets admitting guilt, a realization that directly coincides with Roll Call's unearthing of the details of his bathroom bust.

http://news.findlaw.com/usatoday/docs/crim...g-70207cmp.html

After the media got a hold of the story, the Senator proclaimed his “straightness” and vowed he wasn’t gay. In the annals of GOP sexual hypocrisy excuses, we have this new one to add to the database -- the Wide Stance Defense. Craig denied any lewd intentions and told police he has a "wide stance" in the bathroom and reached down to pick up a piece of paper from the floor.

"It should be noted that there was not a piece of paper on the bathroom floor, nor did Craig pick up a piece of paper," Karsnia wrote in the police report.

As of now he has resigned as the head of Mitt Romney’s Idaho committee and no word on whether he will resign from the Senate. Mr. Craig calls the incident a misunderstanding and that he will be pursuing legal means to clear his name. Here is his latest press release

For Immediate Release:

August 27, 2007

Statement of Senator Craig:

BOISE, ID - Idaho Senator Larry Craig made the following statement in response to the Roll Call story this afternoon:

"At the time of this incident, I complained to the police that they were misconstruing my actions. I was not involved in any inappropriate conduct.

"I should have had the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have pled guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously."

http://craig.senate.gov/releases/pr082707a.cfm

The Idaho Statesman's Dan Popkey has a piece on its investigation of Craig's rumored closeted sexual netherworld after the senator was outed in 2006, which includes scuttlebutt going back to his college days, and the infamous 1982 pre-emptive denial regarding allegations of sex with underaged congressional pages going on up on the Hill.

The most serious finding by the Statesman was the report by a professional man with close ties to Republican officials. The 40-year-old man reported having adult activity with Craig at Washington's Union Station, probably in 2004. The Statesman also spoke with a man who said Craig made a sexual advance toward him at the University of Idaho in 1967 and a man who said Craig "cruised" him for sex in 1994 at the REI store in Boise.

The Statesman interviewed the Union Station cruise, who said that the men had sex in two restrooms with the encounter lasting "three or four minutes.

The issue, of course, isn't that Craig is gay. It's that he is gay and hypocritically advocates family values issues:

* Voted YES on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)

* Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)

* Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)

* Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)

* Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)

Earlier this year, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney was beside himself with praise for Republican Senator Larry Craig as he announced that Craig would be a Senate Liaison to the Mitt Romney presidential campaign, along with Republican Senator Robert Bennett:

“It is an honor to have the support and leadership in the United States Senate of Senator Bennett and Senator Craig. Throughout their years of service, they have compiled strong conservative records and have accomplished much for the people of their states and their nation,” said Governor Romney. “Both men have a unique perspective of the new generation of challenges confronting our nation. I look forward to working with them to find the solutions needed to ensure that our country remains a strong world leader.”

Getting caught playing 'hide the salami' with another man is certainly embarrassing. He has embarrassed his country, his state and the US Senate. Craig has a lot of egg on his face, but if you see him in an airport bathroom, it's probably not egg.

Looks like Senator Craig and Blowin' Bob Allen (Republicans) might have something in common. Blowin' Bob was the Repug who got caught offering to perform fellacio on an undercover cop.

It will be fun to see how the blogging morons of the Immoral Minority try to spin this one! As Bob Beckel said last night on O'Reilly, "You live by Family Values, you die by Family Values."

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years...8071craig1.html

Maybe the Senator just needed a square? Here is how it really happenned...

THE STALL

(in the Airport bathroom)

LARRY CRAIG

uh..excuse me

umm.. I'm sorry

this is.. this is kind of embarrassing but.. there's no toilet paper over here

SERGEANT KARSNIA

(from the stall on Larry Craig's right)

are you talking to me?

LARRY CRAIG

yeah.. I

I just forgot to check

so if you could just spare me some (Larry places hand under the bathroom stall divider)

SERGEANT KARSNIA

no I'm sorry

LARRY CRAIG

what?

SERGEANT KARSNIA

no I'm sorry, I can't spare it

LARRY CRAIG

you can't spare it??

SERGEANT KARSNIA

no there's not enough to spare

LARRY CRAIG

well I don't need much, just 3 squares will do it (Larry places hand again under the bathroom stall divider)

SERGEANT KARSNIA

I'm sorry I don't have a square to spare, now if you don't mind

LARRY CRAIG

3 squares? you can't spare 3 squares?? (Larry places hand a third time under the bathroom stall divider)

SERGEANT KARSNIA

no I don't have a square to spare, I can't spare a square

LARRY CRAIG

oh is it two-ply? cause it it's two-ply I'll take one ply, one ply, one, one

puny little ply, I'll take one measly ply (Larry moves his foot under the bathroom stall divider and taps Sergeant Karsnia's foot)

SERGEANT KARSNIA

look, I don't have a square and I don't have a ply (flushing and flashing his badge under the stall)

LARRY CRAIG

no no, no no, don't don't, I beg you

Guest human_*

If the RNC doesn't snatch you up "Luke" then my group truely is insane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard about that stuff "about gay men going into bathrooms like Springfield Mall bathrooms,George Town Hospital basement, and that dc park that is near the zoo."

Though I never really believed that people could actually get away with this stuff in public.

And Senator Craig, shame on you. You have let down all of us Republicans.

You really got to feel sorry for his wife, and the kids, and grandkids "Oh!!! those poor people".

Guest Jonathan Rees

Is the gay thing going to once again be a part of the 2008 presidential election rhetoric or used to scare people into voting a certain way?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard about that stuff "about gay men going into bathrooms like Springfield Mall bathrooms,George Town Hospital basement, and that dc park that is near the zoo."

Though I never really believed that people could actually get away with this stuff in public.

And Senator Craig, shame on you. You have let down all of us Republicans.

You really got to feel sorry for his wife, and the kids, and grandkids "Oh!!! those poor people".

Guest Human_*

Not that I know of. Like I said before;I've heard of this stuff before, and I thought to myself "Who in gods name would even do things like that in public places, and the potential diseases that you can get with people you don't even know".

a; I didn't think that people could really be that stupid.

b; I HONESTLY DIDN'T BELIEVE IT.

Is the gay thing going to once again be a part of the 2008 presidential election rhetoric or used to scare people into voting a certain way?

I truly believe that the true ruling party is the American League of Lobbyists (ALL).

The RNC and DNC just work for them. Issues like this just diffuse Americans from focusing on this truth. We love our scandals.

In reality most Americans do not care much about the sexual orientation representatives. There is a huge list of high profile gay politicians makes this quite apparent.

Rep. Barney Frank, Massachusetts

Richard Madaleno, Jr., Maryland State Senator

Andrew McDonald, Connecticut State Senator

Anne R. Kaiser, Maryland State Representative

Heather R. Mizeur, Maryland State Representative

Maggie L. McIntosh, Maryland State Representative

Adam P. Ebbin, Virginia State Representative

Beth Bye, Connecticut State Representative

Mike Lawlor. Connecticut State Representative

Kathy Webb, Arkansas State Representative

Tina Kotek, Oregon State Representative

Karla Drenner, Georgia State Representative

Gregory Harris, Illinois State Representative

Sarah K. Peake, Massachusetts State Representative

Cheryl Coakley-Rivera, Massachusetts State Representative

Gail C. Morrison, New Hampshire State Representative

Edward A. Butler, New Hampshire State Representative

David M. Pierce, New Hampshire State Representative

Maureen Baxley, New Hampshire State Representative

Dana S. Hilliard, New Hampshire State Representative

Marlene DeChane, New Hampshire State Representative

Paul G. Feinman, State Supreme Court Justice, New York

Marcy S. Friedman, State Supreme Court Justice, New York

Marilyn Shafer, State Supreme Court Justice, New York

Michael R. Sonberg, State Supreme Court Justice, New York

Virginia Linder, State Supreme Court Justice, Oregon

David A. Mills, State Appeals Court Judge, MA

Sean Patrick Maloney, First Deputy Secretary to the Governor, NY

Dan Anders, Judge, Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas

Edward Oakley, Mayor, Dallas, TX

Gary Cloutier, Mayor, Vallejo, CA

Patricia A. Coluzzi, City Commissioner, Rehoboth Beach, DE

Ruth Atkin, City Council, Emeryville, CA

Bill Brownson, City Council, Columbus, OH

Shane Burkett, City Council, Nashville, TN

Kecia Cunningham, City Commission, Decatur, GA

Geri Delevich, Borough Council, New Hope, PA

Karen Kellen, City Council, Lakewood, CO

Greg Lemke, City Council, Moorhead, MN

Henry Lo, Board of Education, Garvey, CA

Tim Schofield, City Council, Boston, MA

Ed Zipprich, City Council, Red Bank, NJ

Larry Gierer, Oakland Park, FL

Keith Durbin, City Council, District 12, Nashville, TN

Bruce A Kraus, City Council, District 3, Pittsburgh, PA

Joseph Hernandez, City Council, District 3, Dallas, TX

Chris Moss, City Council, Frisco, TX

Ray Johnson, Oak Park Village Trustee, Oak Park, IL

Marty Martinez, Alderman at Large, Somerville, MA

Thomas Peters, School Board, University City, MO

Matt Titone, New York State Assembly, District 61A

John Heilman, City Council, West Hollywood, CA

Craig Lowe, City Commission, Gainesville, FL

These politicians have been accused as being closet gay or bisexual, but have not openly confirmed preference.

Hillary Clinton, Senator NY

David Dreier, Congressman, CA

James McCrery, Congressman, LA

There are rumors that the gay and lesbian community control some closet politicians voting policy. Take a look at Mike Rogers blogactive.com web site. It has been a focal point for outing closeted gay politicians who actively oppose gay rights.

Senator Craig has resigned, so I hope our Representatives can start be more selfless in their decision making.

"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" should be seen by all Americans. Remember the part when Governor Hubert "Happy" Hopper (Guy Kibbee), has to pick a replacement to fill the unexpired term of a deceased Senator. His corrupt political boss, Jim Taylor (Edward Arnold), wants Hopper to choose his handpicked stooge. Popular committees want him to name a reform candidate. The governor's children want him to select Jefferson Smith (James Stewart), the head of the Boy Rangers. The governor chooses Smith, calculating that his clean image will please the people while his naivete will make him malleable to the political machine.

Here is a good example of that movie in real life.

Rep. Jim Moran, D-Va., supported earmarks (directing government funds) stemming from "Project M," a technology involving magnetic levitation. You can read all about it here:

http://www.vssl.com/ML.aspx

http://www.vssl.com/Content/2004-10_FY05Authorization.txt

As of last year, the Washington Post reported that the project received $37 million in earmarks. This project was designed to keep submarine machinery quieter, keep Navy SEALs safer in their boats, and protect Marines from roadside bombs. The Pentagon, however, has said that it has no use for the project. Representative Moran has stated that "Project M" 25 or so jobs were important to his district. Robert Conkling, owner of Project M's prime contractor, Vibration & Sound Solutions Ltd., has given a total of $19,000 in campaign contributions since 1998, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Now compare this to the dialogue of Senator Paine and industrial magnate (powerful businessman) Jim Taylor from "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington."

SENATOR JOSEPH HARRISON PAINE

Jim suppose we didn't try to go hrough with this Willet Creek Dam. Suppose we postpone it until the next session of Congress or drop it altogether.

JIM TAYLOR

That'd be a crime after all this work getting it buried in this Deficiency Bill, as nice as you please approved, all ready to roll.

How much does the Willet Dam mean to you, Jim?

JIM TAYLOR

Joe, I've got a lot of people to take care of in this State.

I know, but is it worth the risk of a scandal now that a new man is going to the Senate?

JIM TAYLOR

Joe what's the matter with you? Where you're concerned, I wouldn't take the slightest risk. Especially now after the great reputation you've made in the Senate. Why, look at this campaign I've started for you in all my papers. You're the logical man from the West on the National ticket. At the convention, anything can happen.

[There is a pause while Joe looks at a newspaper.]

JIM TAYLOR

Joe, that's coming a long way in twenty years since I met you practicing law down there in Main Street.

Jim, if what you say about the future is remotely possible, why not do as I say, drop things like this dam?

JIM TAYLOR

We can't drop it now, Joe. We bought the land around this Dam and we're holding it in dummy names. If we drop it or delay it we are going to bring about investigations, and investigations will show that we own that land and are trying to sell it to the State under phony names. No,

Joe, in my judgment the only thing to do is push this Dam through and get it over with.

Guest Human_*

Still Luke the reality is this; There are 12 Senate democrat seats up for grabs in the next election cycle and 22 Republican seats up for grabs in the senate.

If I were a betting man? I would say that the democrats can ride this one out, and not really care

about the safety and public welfare of the public.

The odds ARE in their favor.

Guest funky monkey

Politics is my least favorite subject, but I have to respond to this one. Has anyone thought that the Senator is not gay, but justs wanted a little man action. There are a lot of straight guys who think it's only gay if you do the act, not if you just let them do it to you.

For me, what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom is no ones business.

There is a fine line between what two people do in privacy, and what they do in bathrooms in airports, malls, parks, rest areas that are used by the general public.

I have a better question for you; Why are some in the Gay Community supportive of having sex in public areas?

"http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20529609/site/newsweek/?from=rss

That article gets me sick to my stomach. This country is at a crossroads of destiny of either letting the money hungry media turn America into a State without concience or giving voice to Americans that are fighting for what they know is right and wrong. This is not a choice young voters can make on their own.

I am making sure my kids do not use Craigslist anymore. Any web site that condones sex in public locations should be shut down.

I just did a quick search to see what areas in washington dc are a hot cruising ground for the gay community, and the results were sad.

At least I know now why I can never seem to use the handicap bathroom stalls in National Airport.

"It's just uncool” and Georgetown university library 1st floor.

There is more, and it's really depressing. I wont be posting the web site, but I will be giving it to the police.

Guest Concerned Parent

The commander of the DC Police Gay & Lesbian Liaison Unit said "We've definitely seen an increase in online dating crimes in the past five years" and added that victims of internet dating crimes are "overwhelmingly men cruising for sex" He also noted that these criminals are often technologically savvy and create profiles using fake information and other people's photos from cyber cafés or public libraries, making them difficult to trace.

Gay and Lesbian Liaison (GLLU)

Mailing Address:

300 Indiana Avenue, NW, 5th Floor

Washington, DC 20001

Office Location:

1369-A Connecticut Avenue, NW (Dupont Circle)

The entrance is on the Massachusetts Avenue side of the Sun Trust Bank Building.

It is accessible by Metro Rail and Bus (Red Line).

Page the On-Call member of the GLLU for Office Hours. Do not assume the office is open.

Phone: (202) 727-5427

Phone: (202) 347-8164 TTY

Fax: (202) 724-4120

Concerned Parent here is my complaint;

Those like me who are in wheelchairs for LIFE did not lobby for ADA just so the Gay Community

Can use the bathrooms as little sex dens "okay!”

Not to mention the Public Safety and Health concerns associated with such type of behavior.

Do you understand my point?

Guest Human_*

I agree fully, and what this shows me LOUD, and Clear is that the Gay Community really has to work on its moral side.

Honestly; Our side is not perfect either, but My Dear God!!!! Even this stuff leaves me speechless.

It really has NO PLACE in society, and I'm LUCKY enough to have a County Prosecutor living in my neighborhood.

For me, I'm going to work with the Legal Community in my Community, and craft a Plan to put a stop to this.

I am wondering where this immorality is coming from? It sure was not like when I was young.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.