Washington DC Message Boards

What is Hezbollah?

Guest Candice

Let's hope it does not come to that.

Hezbollah or Hizbollah/Hizbullah or Hezb'Allah (Arabic: حزب الله‎, meaning Party of God) is a governmental and military Lebanese Shia Islamic group, with a military arm and a civilian arm, founded in 1982 to fight the Israeli Defense Forces who occupied southern Lebanon until the year 2000. Its leader is Hassan Nasrallah.

Hezbollah is considered a terrorist organization by Israel, the United States the United Kingdom and Canada. Hezbollah was "inspired by the success of the Iranian Revolution" and was formed primarily to combat Israel following the 1982 Lebanon War. The United States and Israel say that Hezbollah has received financial and political assistance, as well as weapons and training, from Iran and Syria.

The 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict is a series of ongoing military actions and clashes in northern Israel and Lebanon involving Hezbollah's armed wing and the Israel Defense Forces (IDF).

On 12 July 2006 Hezbollah initiated Operation Truthful Promise,named for a "promise" by its leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah to capture Israeli soldiers and swap them for the remaining three Lebanese prisoners held by Israel. The early morning raid into Israeli territory resulted in eight Israeli soldiers killed and two captured. Israel then responded with Operation Just Reward, later renamed Operation Change of Direction. This retaliatory strike has thus far encompassed a barrage of rockets fired into Lebanon and bombing raids by the Israeli Air Force (IAF), an Air and Naval blockade as well as some small raids into southern Lebanon by IDF ground troops.

Guest I just realized something

I notice that nobody is complaining about what Isreal is doing because they got attacked first. I support them completely but I know if this was a US retaliation I would see many complaints on here.

Guest Need bold action

Previous administrations have taken bold steps to limit violence in the region. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger famously came to the region and used "shuttle diplomacy" -- meeting repeatedly with each party -- to negotiate "disengagement agreements between Israel, Syria, and Egypt" following the 1973 Yom Kippur War. Similarly, in 1996, Secretary of State Warren Christopher spent "seven days shuttling between Damascus and Jerusalem" and successfully negotiated a "truce between Israel and Hezbollah guerrillas." The Bush administration, however, "effectively disengaged from the peace process," deriding diplomatic efforts as "naive and ineffectual" and abandoning the United States' traditional role as an "honest broker." Years of disengagement has led to a security vacuum on Lebanon's southern border, providing an opening for the recent violence to begin.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest human_*

What is Hezbollah?

Hezbollah is in deep trouble, and so is IRAN.

It surprised me that Israel was quite for so long. I think that they "Israel" finally got the message that

The biggest allies to the terrorists ARE the democrats, and that Israel has no other choice but to explain to

IRAN that they will NOT get the bomb.

With Gore, Kennedy, Cindy Sheehan? The writing was on the wall.

Like I said, I wasn’t surprised that Israel acted, I was surprised that it took them so long.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.