Washington DC Message Boards

District Rent Control Reform Act

The rent control legislation simplifies the rent control program so that it is easier for both tenants and housing providers to understand. Tenants will know what their maximum rent increases will be from year to year, and they will be protected from excessive rent increases with even stronger protections for elderly and disabled tenants. The legislation will also relieve the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) and housing providers from the burden of filing what is currently more than 80,000 records each year to maintain the rent ceiling system. Finally, the legislation provides for a reasonable return for building owners, enabling the preservation of affordable rental housing in the District.

“The issue of rent control is usually laden with controversy and disagreement, so it is remarkable that we are here today to celebrate a reform package that has the blessing of tenants, landlords and the Council,” said Mayor Williams. “The legislation is truly a consensus measure that is easy to administer and understand, protects tenants from potential fraud and abuse and ensures that housing providers can preserve rental housing in the District.”

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blahblahblah

This reduces the incentive to own a rent controlled building in d.c. and provides another reason to DISLIKE TENANT ADVOCATES. The first right to purchase law serves their greedy and irrational "the world owes me" (for the nothings they are) mentality proven by the fact that most of them are the frivolous law suit type opportunist looking for a big big big pay day or to preserve their below market rental rate. The have accepted no financial risk or liability in the apartments they occupy and yet demand all the rewards of ownership by "joint venturing" with some non profit group or selling out to a developer that meets their pie in the sky make me rich too desires. They time burden sale regardless of the sellers health or financial needs just to seek their own unjust compensation. Right now, unless a buyer pays all cash for a d.c. apartment, the cash on cash rate of return is at or less than zero. If their is no appreciation in value (mostly derived by incresed rents) you helped kill this market, but provide for a great opportunity to appeal assessments and collect less taxes, etc. etc. Why not favor a free market and non profit and governmental subsidies? You do not think they are ineffective do you? I do.

Guest Jonathan R. Rees

I support a rent freeze for five years.

There is too much greed among property owners!

This reduces the incentive to own a rent controlled building in d.c. and provides another reason to DISLIKE TENANT ADVOCATES. The first right to purchase law serves their greedy and irrational "the world owes me" (for the nothings they are) mentality proven by the fact that most of them are the frivolous law suit type opportunist looking for a big big big pay day or to preserve their below market rental rate. The have accepted no financial risk or liability in the apartments they occupy and yet demand all the rewards of ownership by "joint venturing" with some non profit group or selling out to a developer that meets their pie in the sky make me rich too desires. They time burden sale regardless of the sellers health or financial needs just to seek their own unjust compensation. Right now, unless a buyer pays all cash for a d.c. apartment, the cash on cash rate of return is at or less than zero. If their is no appreciation in value (mostly derived by incresed rents) you helped kill this market, but provide for a great opportunity to appeal assessments and collect less taxes, etc. etc. Why not favor a free market and non profit and governmental subsidies? You do not think they are ineffective do you? I do.

Guest Enter your Name
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.