Washington DC Message Boards

Heavy Rainfall in DC

If anyone is in dire need please let us know. Maybe some person close by can help you. Currently, my

back yard is knee high in water.

At 837 PM...National Weather Service radar indicated showers and thunderstorms extending along a line from northern Balitmore County in Maryland to Stafford County in Virginia...moving slowly to the northeast. This activity will be capable of producing very heavy rainfall...on the order of 1 to 2 inches per hour. Thunderstorms will also bring occasional cloud to ground lightning and wind gusts to 30 mph. Some locations affected within the next 2 hours include...Baltimore City...Columbia...Rockville...the District of Columbia...alexadria...Arlington...and the city of Manassas.

DCC001-VAC013-510-610-260445-

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA DC-CITY OF ALEXANDRIA VA-CITY OF FALLS CHURCH

VA-ARLINGTON VA-

956 PM EDT SUN JUN 25 2006

...A FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1245 AM EDT FOR

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ...AND ARLINGTON...EAST CENTRAL CITY OF FALLS

CHURCH AND CITY OF ALEXANDRIA COUNTIES...

FLASH FLOODING WAS REPORTED TO HAVE CLOSED SEVERAL ROADS IN

NORTHEAST WASHINGTON DC. ANOTHER CLUSTER OF TORRENTIAL RAIN IS

APPROACHING THE WARNED AREA FROM THE SOUTH THROUGH 11:00 PM.

Guest human_*

Yeah!!! I think that we are all getting tired of this rain.

WAY TIRED, and I think on Wednesday it's supposed to be clear "crossing fingers here".

Oh!!! The rule of thumb when it comes to floods is;

24 hours after it stops raining, the water level peaks.

Don't cross low lying areas, the WATER WILL WIN.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried it once in water ankle deep in a wheelie, and lost my wheelchair “this was in my younger crazier days". Found the wheelchair later, and it looked liked King Kong played with it, and turned it into a pretzel.

The frame was in some parts bent, other parts broken, and that chair was a titanium wheelchair "hardcore sports chair".

Guest human_*

Since we are on this subject;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theregister.com/2006/06/23/conversation_killer/

Warning: mobiles and lightning don't mix.

Conversation killer

By Lester HainesPublished Friday 23rd June 2006 08:55 GMTFind your perfect job - click here for thousands of tech vacancies. UK doctors are advising mobile-addicted Brit youth to lay off the chat during thunderstorms - or risk the consequences.

According to the BBC, the British Medical Journal cites the case of a 15-year-old girl who was struck by lightning in a London park while talking on her phone. She suffered a burst eardrum and cardiac arrest and, a year later, "has severe physical difficulties as well as brain damage which has led to emotional and cognitive problems".

What the kids of today don't understand, apparently, is that when you're struck by lightning, your skin's high resistance will cause most of the charge to pass over the body in a process called "external flashover". If, however, you have metal objects or liquids in contact with the skin, these can provoke the charge to enter and pass through your body where it can wreak havoc with your internals.

The Northwick Park Hospital doctors who treated the unfortunate London victim discovered three fatal cases of mobile phone chat lightning strike - in China, Korea and Malaysia. Swinda Esprit, of the ear, nose and throat department said: "It is obvious really, but we all carry mobile phones and we don't think about it. Children particularly won't realise the risk."

It's not, however, simply a matter of not making calls during tempests. The mere presence of your phone about your person increases the risk of lightning-induced internal injury, as Met Office boffin Paul Taylor noted: "It is well known within the thunderstorm detection community that wearing or carrying metallic objects can increase the likelihood of injury.

"It certainly adds to the intensity of the skin damage and the article certainly amplifies that here. I would treat a mobile phone as yet another piece of metal that people tend to carry on their persons like coins and rings." ®

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.