Washington DC Message Boards

Thanks for opening my eyes!

All of you whether in the Sam Brooks camp or Jonathan Rees camp made it possible for me as a voter to know who is running in my ward for city council to replace Kathy Patterson.

Without all of this mudslinging, I would never have known who the field of candidates were.

So that I would get to know more about these two guys, I decided to visit their respective websites and judge them on the content, what they have to say about matters now facing us voters, what they want to do to improve things and who seems to be better qualified based upon what they say to represent me.

Based upon the foregoing, between Brooks and Rees, I would go with Rees. Why?

Brooks says nothing about what is going on in our city, offers nothing that he will do and his website is so bland it makes me want to fall asleep.

On the other hand, Rees addresses what might be the cause of our problems, offers specific solutions and seems to have a good knowledge and command of viable solutions.

I know some of you will not like what I have said but most would agree that my analysis is accurate.

In sum, I am judging a book by its cover and Brooks just does not say anything I want to hear and he might take that to heart and go back and do better.

All of you whether in the Sam Brooks camp or Jonathan Rees camp made it possible for me as a voter to know who is running in my ward for city council to replace Kathy Patterson.

Without all of this mudslinging, I would never have known who the field of candidates were.

So that I would get to know more about these two guys, I decided to visit their respective websites and judge them on the content, what they have to say about matters now facing us voters, what they want to do to improve things and who seems to be better qualified based upon what they say to represent me.

Based upon the foregoing, between Brooks and Rees, I would go with Rees. Why?

Brooks says nothing about what is going on in our city, offers nothing that he will do and his website is so bland it makes me want to fall asleep.

On the other hand, Rees addresses what might be the cause of our problems, offers specific solutions and seems to have a good knowledge and command of viable solutions.

I know some of you will not like what I have said but most would agree that my analysis is accurate.

In sum, I am judging a book by its cover and Brooks just does not say anything I want to hear and he might take that to heart and go back and do better.

Welcome Tammy! Tell us a little bit about yourself!!!

Edited by truthseeker

Thank you for the greetings.

Sorry, I missed your part about wanting to know a bit about me.

Well, I guess it is obvious that I am a woman, I am concerned about matters that will affect us women, I live in the Tenleytown area of our ward and I work with a non profit organization that deals with women who are victims of domestic violence.

So may I ask who are you asking?

Welcome Tammy! Tell us a little bit about yourself!!!

I have in the past volunteered with WEAVE, House of Ruth and I have given my time assisting two churches that have provided GED studies for Hispanic immigrants.

Cool. I know the folks who run the volunteer program at House of Ruth. I'll tell them I met you online when I talk to them, probably tomorrow!!

Which office? DC or the Blatimore one? I volunteered for the Baltimore chapter and assisted women who had to appear in the District Court in Hyattsville, Maryland.

Cool. I know the folks who run the volunteer program at House of Ruth. I'll tell them I met you online when I talk to them, probably tomorrow!!

Which office? DC or the Blatimore one? I volunteered for the Baltimore chapter and assisted women who had to appear in the District Court in Hyattsville, Maryland.

Say G'night to Jonathan for me!

(OOPS. Time to go to a RDA meeting I guess.)

Edited by truthseeker

Excuse me but who are you speaking to?

How about telling me a bit about you and what you do.

I guess you belong to one of those political camps, did not like what I had said and took offense and decided to allege that I am a part of the opposition.

Would you have said the same if I had spoken well of your camp?

G'night Jonathan!

(OOPS. Time to go to a RDA meeting I guess.)

Excuse me but who are you speaking to?

How about telling me a bit about you and what you do.

I'm engaged in a number of volunteer projects myself. I also work in business, in the US. I enjoy tandem bicycling, writing symbolist poetry and inventing things. I am a low-level philanthropist and am pursuing an advanced degree in biostatistical criticism.

That sound very impressive but what do you mean by low-level philanthropist ?

Do you teach or write?

I'm engaged in a number of volunteer projects myself. I also work in business, in the US. I enjoy tandem bicycling, writing symbolist poetry and inventing things. I am a low-level philanthropist and am pursuing an advanced degree in biostatistical criticism.

By the long list of postings you have done I think that I would not be wrong by concluding that you are very active politically but is there a good cause you seek to come to pass?

That sound very impressive but what do you mean by low-level philanthropist ?

Do you teach or write?

Well, I'm not a high-level philanthropist, if you get my drift

Yes! I write. Automatic writing mostly. And the ocassional epigram. I've sold a few pieces to Photoplay, but not recently

As for my political life, I support the Wobblies agenda, though I'm not a hardliner.

Edited by truthseeker

Sounds like fun. So what is your interest in this particular race for the city council?

I am hoping that we will effectively clean house in the upcoming elections and elect a mayor and council that can get along better than what we have.

I am inclined to lean toward candidates who have vast experience in business and away from those who are lawyers or career politicians.

Well, I'm not a high-level philanthropist, if you get my drift

Yes! I write. Automatic writing mostly. And the ocassional epigram. I've sold a few pieces to Photoplay, but not recently.

Sounds like fun. So what is your interest in this particular race for the city council?

I am hoping that we will effectively clean house in the upcoming elections and elect a mayor and council that can get along better than what we have.

I am inclined to lean toward candidates who have vast experience in business and away from those who are lawyers or career politicians.

'Tammy"

My interest is, as always, in truth and justice and fair play. I don't know for whom I'd vote if I lived in DC, as it's still early in the political year. Even so, I certainly know whom I'd vote -against- and with great enthusiasm. He's a dangerous and allegedly unstable person, but I've vowed not to invoke his name again tonight.

Edited by truthseeker

You need not say any more as I know who you are speaking of but in my neighborhood and I will play your we will not speak his name game, most of the women in my building are leaning toward him because of his reputation of defending the rights of women and with people like Dr. Gabriella Lemus and other well known ladies backing him by helping to give out his political literature along with for the past six months, you cannot go anywhere in this ward without seeing his posters or getting one on your car window I believe that he has saturated our ward so well that his name is well known and nobody else is as of yet.

My opinion is, unless somebody better comes along, he may be the lesser of the evils we have to chose from.

'Tammy"

My interest is, as always, in truth and justice and fair play. I don't know for whom I'd vote if I lived in DC, but I definitely know whom I'd vote -against-. He's a dangerous and allegedly unstable person, but I've vowed not to invoke his name again tonight.

You need not say any more as I know who you are speaking of but in my neighborhood and I will play your we will not speak his name game, most of the women in my building are leaning toward him because of his reputation of defending the rights of women and with people like Dr. Gabriella Lemus and other well known ladies backing him by helping to give out his political literature along with for the past six months, you cannot go anywhere in this ward without seeing his posters or getting one on your car window I believe that he has saturated our ward so well that his name is well known and nobody else is as of yet.

My opinion is, unless somebody better comes along, he may be the lesser of the evils we have to chose from.

Thank you for clearing this up for me so quickly! I think anyone who reads the above will understand -exactly- where you're coming from.

Night all.

Faithfully,

Not SB, nor BF

Thank you as I enjoyed this discourse we have had.

I will say goodnight and conclude with saying, stayed tuned people for the further adventures of Him and we will not speak his name.

Thank you for clearing this up for me so quickly! I think anyone who reads the above will understand -exactly- where you're coming from.

Night all.

Faithfully,

Not SB, nor BF

Good monring Tammy,

It is nice to make your acquaintance.

I was curious on your post...it is interesting that you are coming to this forum to find out about the political candidates. I for one have not seen very much activitiy by any of the candidates themselves -- other than hawking websites, which would not lend itself to any decision making for an election that is taking place so many months from now.

I guess if you base your political decisions on the ramblings of "supporters" of Jonathan Rees or the detractors of said "supporters", then that is your choice. I haven't seen anyone on this forum espousing the virtues of any of the announced candidates, other than Mr. Rees.

I for one, am waiting until all of the candidates are declared, as I understand there ar a number of viable ANC Commissioners as well as a few individuals from the private sector who are weighing their bids.

By the way, you should join the Tenley Yahoo! Group. There are some very nice people who post there and I understand there is often a lot of good political and neighborhood banter. Of course, since I do not live in that neighborhood, I only lurk that forum.

B. Frank

Edited by bfrankdc

Dear Bfrankdc,

I thank you for your advice to take a look at the Tenleytown Yahoo group. I did and found that it did not really address much of what is happening in local politics.

Right now if you live in my ward, we have been inundated since last July 2005, with political campaign stuff coming mainly from Fenty for Mayor, Bolden for City Council at Large and Rees for Ward 3 City Council.

These three guys have hit fast, hard and have left no stone unturned.

Being the first out and reaching a mass audience has its advantage even if it annoys some.

Many think it was way too soon but I will disagree in that my father is in the advertising business and will argue that if what these three have done does not work then they and countless others before them would not have done it and won.

My interest is to see our that our next elected mayor be able to get along and work better with our city council. In this respect, I believe that we will need to get rid of some of the bad blood and people.

As for judging candidates by what they say on their website. Well, I believe that the majority of people don’t pay attention to the issues, have a habit of voting based upon names they remember best and this is what Fenty, Bolden and Rees are doing; namely, grabbing name recognition and hammering it home.

Who would I vote for at this point for the three above positions? Johns for Mayor, Bolden for Council at Large and Rees for Ward 3 City Council. Why? Because what they have said addresses our current problems, offers solutions and none of their competitors do that.

While we can discuss here the merits of each candidate, pick on their short comings and all have many of them, attempt to sway voters by what I have seen some do, I feel that anything we post her that is negative will be seen by readers as not being real and something posted by one candidate and his camp to smear the other and that never sits well with voters.

To end this rambling, it is never too soon to start but definite way too late to try or catch up.

Goof monring Tammy,

It is nice to make your acquaintance.

I was curious on your post...it is interesting that you are coming to this forum to find out about the political candidates. I for one have not seen very much activitiy by any of the candidates themselves -- other than hawking websites, which would lend itself to any decision making for an election that is taking place so many months from now.

I guess if you base your political decisions on the ramblings of supporters of Jonathan Rees or the detractors of said "supporters", then that is your choice. I haven;t seen anyone on this forum espousing the virtues of any of the announced candidates, other than M. Rees.

I for one, am waiting until all of the candidates are declared, as I understand there ar a number of viable ANC Commissioners as well as a few from the private sector who are weighing their bids.

By the way, you should join the Tenley Yahoo! Group. There are some very nice people who post there and I understand there is often a lot of good political and neighborhood banter. Of course, since I do not live in that neighborhood, I only lurk that forum.

B. Frank

Tammy,

I respect your attitude that the three candidates you mention have hit the streets hard and early and have "captured name recogtnition".

I have only received information from the Fenty camp in the mayoral race. I saw the Rees posters last summer, although most seem to have faded or fallen off at this point. Other than the few front yard signs for a handful of candidates, I think the campaigning really hasn't started in earnest yet. So the concept of my having been inundated hasn't happened. I don't know, maybe I don't live in the "right" part of the Ward to have received such attention.

I think Adrian Fenty is a great guy and has been sensational for constituent services in Ward 4. However, for as much time as he has spent on his blackberry monitoring email and neighborhood Listserves, he has received criticism from his colleagues (according to the Washington Post) that he hasn't been focused in council proceedings. As I am not in those meetings, this is clearly not primary infomation. I am not sold on Linda Cropp or any of the other candidates. I am interested to see how the Baseball thing plays out before making any decisions.

I know nothing of Bolden...is that an At-Large thing? I think Mr. Mendelson's time on the Council is passed, and am interested in reviewing any of the At-Large contenders once the ballot is set.

I think my views of Mr. Rees are pretty clear. I do not think his narrow-minded views are appropriate for a fairly progressive Ward 3 Constituency. I think the text on his website are more ramblings than an actual well-articulated platform. Certainly his spamming posts on the internet, at least the ones we know are him, have been incoherent, grammatically incorrect screeds. Indeed, there are a number of ANC Commissioners and others who are still considering an election run. As a result, I think it is too early to make any committments for any candidate.

If you examine Mr. Rees's "press releases" which are archived at DC Watch (another place where DC politics are hashed out), you will see an almost comical attempt at political discourse. Of course, that is just my opinion, but many have commented about it at DC Watch and elsewhere. Based on the lashing out I have seen on this forum and on DCist (as proven by the IP addresses), I do not believe Mr. Rees is the person who will represent our Ward and be the type of person who will sooth relations between the Council and the Executive, as you suggest. Indeed, I think the opposite is true. I believe Mr. Rees would have a very polarizing affect on the Council, and will make Marion Barry seem like the paragon of political excellence.

If you are truly interested in Ward 3 and DC Politics, I would suggested you subscribe to themail which is part of the DC Watch discussions. That forum is much more diverse in opinions and does not tolerate the kind of slipshot banter that other forums present.

B. Frank

Dear Bfrankdc,

I thank you for your advice to take a look at the Tenleytown Yahoo group. I did and found that it did not really address much of what is happening in local politics.

Right now if you live in my ward, we have been inundated since last July 2005, with political campaign stuff coming mainly from Fenty for Mayor, Bolden for City Council at Large and Rees for Ward 3 City Council.

These three guys have hit fast, hard and have left no stone unturned.

Being the first out and reaching a mass audience has its advantage even if it annoys some.

Many think it was way too soon but I will disagree in that my father is in the advertising business and will argue that if what these three have done does not work then they and countless others before them would not have done it and won.

My interest is to see our that our next elected mayor be able to get along and work better with our city council. In this respect, I believe that we will need to get rid of some of the bad blood and people.

As for judging candidates by what they say on their website. Well, I believe that the majority of people don’t pay attention to the issues, have a habit of voting based upon names they remember best and this is what Fenty, Bolden and Rees are doing; namely, grabbing name recognition and hammering it home.

Who would I vote for at this point for the three above positions? Johns for Mayor, Bolden for Council at Large and Rees for Ward 3 City Council. Why? Because what they have said addresses our current problems, offers solutions and none of their competitors do that.

While we can discuss here the merits of each candidate, pick on their short comings and all have many of them, attempt to sway voters by what I have seen some do, I feel that anything we post her that is negative will be seen by readers as not being real and something posted by one candidate and his camp to smear the other and that never sits well with voters.

To end this rambling, it is never too soon to start but definite way too late to try or catch up.

Dear Mr. Bfrank,

I agree with you about Mr. Mendelsohn but I disagree about Mr. Rees as I like what he says in general and you will find at least in my area of the ward a lot of people who do but his message is simple and that is, until taxes and the size of DC Government is cut, we will continue to lose businesses and people. He is a candidate focused on matters of economics. On that point, I agree with what he says 100%. What do you expect of him? He is a businessman as sees things from their point of view.

On the flip side, we know nothing about where he stands on other major issues and yes, I have read his stuff on DC Watch and it gives us a small glipse of how he feels on some issues where I feel many in our ward might agree with him on most of it but that still does not tell us where does he stand.

As you know, our ward is full of very cocky and somewhat obnoxious people who think they are always right and this is reflected in the ongoing war within my ANC commission.

Your points are well taken but as I said to Truthseeker, he appears just to be the lesser of all evils and I haven't seen anyone better yet.

Tammy,

I respect your attitude that the three candidates you mention have hit the streets hard and early and have "captured name recogtnition".

I have only received information from the Fenty camp in the mayoral race. I saw the Rees posters last summer, although most seem to have faded or fallen off at this point. Other than the few front yard signs for a handful of candidates, I think the campaigning really hasn't started in earnest yet. So the concept of my having been inundated hasn't happened. I don't know, maybe I don't live in the "right" part of the Ward to have received such attention.

I think Adrian Fenty is a great guy and has been sensational for constituent services in Ward 4. However, for as much time as he has spent on his blackberry monitoring email and neighborhood Listserves, he has received criticism from his colleagues (according to the Washington Post) that he hasn't been focused in council proceedings. As I am not in those meetings, this is clearly not primary infomation. I am not sold on Linda Cropp or any of the other candidates. I am interested to see how the Baseball thing plays out before making any decisions.

I know nothing of Bolden...is that an At-Large thing? I think Mr. Mendelson's time on the Council is passed, and am interested in reviewing any of the At-Large contenders once the ballot is set.

I think my views of Mr. Rees are pretty clear. I do not think his narrow-minded views are appropriate for a fairly progressive Ward 3 Constituency. I think the text on his website are more ramblings than an actual well-articulated platform. Certainly his spamming posts on the internet, at least the ones we know are him, have been incoherent, grammatically incorrect screeds. Indeed, there are a number of ANC Commissioners and others who are still considering an election run. As a result, I think it is too early to make any committments for any candidate.

If you examine Mr. Rees's "press releases" which are archived at DC Watch (another place where DC politics are hashed out), you will see an almost comical attempt at political discourse. Of course, that is just my opinion, but many have commented about it at DC Watch and elsewhere. Based on the lashing out I have seen on this forum and on DCist (as proven by the IP addresses), I do not believe Mr. Rees is the person who will represent our Ward and be the type of person who will sooth relations between the Council and the Executive, as you suggest. Indeed, I think the opposite is true. I believe Mr. Rees would have a very polarizing affect on the Council, and will make Marion Barry seem like the paragon of political excellence.

If you are truly interested in Ward 3 and DC Politics, I would suggested you subscribe to themail which is part of the DC Watch discussions. That forum is much more diverse in opinions and does not tolerate the kind of slipshot banter that other forums present.

B. Frank

Tammy, get the message. Unless you worship Sam Brooks you will automatically be accused of being Rees as this is Brooks modus operandi to get free publicity and sympathy by wanting to deceive people to believe that he is the victim of a smear campaign.

All we have to do is turn Brooks into a God and then we will no longer be Rees!

Dear Mr. Bfrank,

I agree with you about Mr. Mendelsohn but I disagree about Mr. Rees as I like what he says in general and you will find at least in my area of the ward a lot of people who do but his message is simple and that is, until taxes and the size of DC Government is cut, we will continue to lose businesses and people. He is a candidate focused on matters of economics. On that point, I agree with what he says 100%. What do you expect of him? He is a businessman as sees things from their point of view.

On the flip side, we know nothing about where he stands on other major issues and yes, I have read his stuff on DC Watch and it gives us a small glipse of how he feels on some issues where I feel many in our ward might agree with him on most of it but that still does not tell us where does he stand.

As you know, our ward is full of very cocky and somewhat obnoxious people who think they are always right and this is reflected in the ongoing war within my ANC commission.

Your points are well taken but as I said to Truthseeker, he appears just to be the lesser of all evils and I haven't seen anyone better yet.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.