Washington DC Message Boards

Harriet Miers For Supreme Court -- Yes Or No

philip

I am a bit confused over whether this Harriet Miers is

a good thing or not.

Here's what is confusing ... Bush recommended her ..

so I expected to see all of the conservatives jumping

up for joy .. but that is not really the case. I did

a bit of searching around and found that the heavy

duty conservatives @ Townhall.com seem to be a bit

pissed off:

http://www.townhall.com/blogs/c-log/J%20Ga.../03/159236.html

And ... on my side .. there doesn't seem to be much

joy .. so what's the deal with this chick?

Philip :D

Guest Freetospeak

Start with Miers choice of donations provided by Federal Election Commission.

Notice in Bold Miers was a supporter of the Democratic Party and switched to the RNC.

MIERS, HARRIET E MS.

ARLINGTON, VA 22202

U.S. GOVERNMENT/DEPUTY SHERIFF BUSH, GEORGE W ®

President

BUSH-CHENEY '04 (PRIMARY) INC $2,000

primary 10/08/03

MIERS, HARRIET

DALLAS, TX 75201

LOCKE LIDDELL & SAPP LLP STENBERG, DONALD B ®

Senate - NE

GOOD GOVERNMENT FUND $500

primary 07/13/00

MIERS, HARRIET

DALLAS, TX 75229

ATTORNEY NEWTON, JONATHAN ®

House (TX 04)

JON NEWTON FOR CONGRESS $1,000

general 06/01/00

Miers, Harriet E. Ms.

Dallas, TX 75201

Self Employed/Attorney

LOCKE LIDDELL & SAPP LLP PAC $415

primary 05/17/00

Miers, Harriet Mrs.

Dallas, TX 75201

Locke Liddell & Sapp/Attorney BUSH, GEORGE W ®

President

BUSH-CHENEY 2000 COMPLIANCE COMMITTEE INC. $1,000

general 04/28/00

MIERS, HARRIET

DALLAS, TX 75201

LOCKE PURNELL HUTCHISON, KAY BAILEY ®

Senate - TX

KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON FOR SENATE COMMITTEE $-1,000

primary 06/03/99

MIERS, HARRIET

DALLAS, TX 75201

Senate - TX

KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON FOR SENATE COMMITTEE $1,000

general 06/03/99

MIERS, HARRIET

DALLAS, TX 75201

Senate - TX

primary 05/11/99

MIERS, HARRIET E

DALLAS, TX 75201

LOCKE LIDDELL & SAPP BUSH, GEORGE W ®

President

BUSH FOR PRESIDENT INC. $1,000

primary 03/10/99

MIERS, HARRIET

DALLAS, TX 75201

Senate - TX

primary 04/23/97

MIERS, HARRIET ELLAN

DALLAS, TX 75229

ATTORNEY

FRIENDS OF PHIL GRAMM PAC ® $1,000

general 05/07/96

MIERS, HARRIET

DALLAS, TX 75229

LOCKE & PURNELL SESSIONS, PETE ®

House (TX 32)

PETE SESSIONS FOR CONGRESS $500 02/24/95

MIERS, HARRIET E

DALLAS, TX 75229

LOCKE PURNELL RAIN HARRELL GRAMM, WILLIAM PHILLIP ®

President

PHIL GRAMM FOR PRESIDENT, INC. $1,000

primary 02/21/95

MIERS, HARRIET ELLAN

DALLAS, TX 75229

LOCKE & PURNELL SESSIONS, PETE ®

House (TX 32)

PETE SESSIONS FOR CONGRESS $500

general 09/23/94

MIERS, HARRIET E

DALLAS, TX 75229

LOCKE PURNELL RAIN HARRELL A PROFES

LOCKE PURNELL RAIN HARRELL FEDERAL POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE $225

primary 01/08/90

MIERS, HARRIET E MS

DALLAS, TX 75229

DNC SERVICES CORPORATION/DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL COMMITTEE (D) $1,000

primary 11/03/88

MIERS, HARRIET E

DALLAS, TX 75219

LOCKE PURNELL RAIN HARRELL

LOCKE PURNELL RAIN HARRELL FEDERAL POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE $630

primary 02/16/88

MIERS, HARRIET E MS

DALLAS, TX 75219

LOCKE PURNELL RAIN HARRELL GORE, AL (D)

President

ALBERT GORE JR FOR PRESIDENT COMMITTEE INC $1,000

primary 02/16/88

MIERS, HARRIET E MRS

DALLAS, TX 75201

LOCKE PURNELL ETAL BENTSEN, LLOYD SENATOR (D)

Senate - DC

SENATOR LLOYD BENTSEN ELECTION COMMITTEE $1,000

primary 03

Guest Freetospeak

I know that Miers was the first woman hired at the Dallas law firm of Locke Purnell Rain Harrell in 1972. As a litigator, she represented such clients as Microsoft and the Walt Disney Co.

In 1996, she became president of her firm. Later, it merged and she became co-managing partner of the 400-lawyer firm Locke Liddell & Sapp

I understand that Political Action Committees (PAC) exist legally as a means for corporations, trade unions etc. to make donations to candidates for Federal office -something that they cannot do directly.

What I am trying to figure out is

MIERS, HARRIET E

DALLAS, TX 75229

LOCKE PURNELL RAIN HARRELL A PROFES

LOCKE PURNELL RAIN HARRELL FEDERAL POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE $225

primary 01/08/90

Guest Complaining

If the crap that you even typed is true, it is from 1988. Who cares, are you suggesting she has been planning this whole thing since than. Thats absurd, we all know that whether democratic or republican presidents have always pushed for one of thier own in these offices. Thats how political wars are fought. I just dont care anymore.

Guest Freetospeak

Complaining,

Keep in mind that Al Gore back in 1986 was a pro-life Democrat. Many conservatives want to know why she switched ship?

Do you think the Democrats would be happy if the President were a Democrat and he/she nominated a Supreme Court candidate who contributed to the RNC and to a current critic of their administration? Its that simple.

Guest no its not

I see where you are coming from. But sometimes **it happens and people disagree. I would rather she be involved in politics no matter which side, its better than going into this with no prior political ties at all. Maybe something happened along time ago she didnt agree with so she bailed and switched. I could understand if she just recently switched than i could see the arguement more. I can see how this may tick you off but it was almost twenty years ago. Dont see a point in being grudgeful thats all.

I think Senator Brownback stated it best. Here is a quote from him about Miers.

I have said in the past that I would like a nominee with a proven track record on important issues to all Americans and whose judicial philosophy is well-formed. I am not yet confident that Ms. Miers has a proven track record and I look forward to having these questions answered. President Bush has a long-standing working relationship with Ms. Miers and I trust the President knows her heart and her mind. Even so, the confirmation process has just begun and questions about her views on the Constitution need to be answered. As President Bush and President Reagan have commented in the past, in this regard I feel we must trust but verify.

This why I get so upset about this choice. The President at a RNC dinner at the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium stated things we already know about Miers and basically said he will not give more information about her.

I've had a chance to name two good people as nominees to the Court. And I take this obligation and responsibility very seriously. As you know, I named a good man in John Roberts to be the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, and I want to thank the United States Senate for confirming him. (Applause.) And I have another pick, and I named a really fine person in Harriet Miers to be considered by the United States Senate.

I was looking for somebody who knew the law, somebody who had been a good practicing attorney. Harriet Miers has been a pioneer in my state of Texas. She ran a big law firm, as a matter of fact, the first woman to do so in that firm. She was the president of the Texas State Bar Association. She was consistently named one of the 50 top women attorneys in the United States of America.

I wanted somebody who hadn't been on the court; I thought it was important for the Supreme Court to have a fresh perspective, somebody who had been practicing the law in real life. But more importantly, I was interested in having somebody on the Court who understands the judicial philosophy that I believe is important; that we ought to have people on the Court that will not legislate from the bench, but will strictly interpret the Constitution of the United States. And that person is Harriet Miers. (Applause.)

Recently, you may have read where members of both parties have been demanding documents from the White House. See, it's very important for people to understand this issue. It's important for me to get good, sound advice in the Oval Office. It's important for people who work in the White House to be able to come in and tell me what's on their mind without fear of what they're having to tell me ends up in the newspapers. You see, in order to make sure that the President gets good advice, whether it be me or whoever is coming down the pike, there must be confidentiality in the White House. Asking for those documents is a red line, as far as I'm concerned, in protecting the White House and the ability to operate. (Applause.)

Miers withdraws Supreme Court nomination

In a statement, President Bush said he “reluctantly accepted” her decision to withdraw, after weeks of insisting that he did not want her to step down.

Bush blamed her withdrawal on calls in the Senate for the release of internal White House documents that the administration has insisted were protected by executive privilege.

It is clear that senators would not be satisfied until they gained access to internal documents concerning advice provided during her tenure at the White House -- disclosures that would undermine a president's ability to receive candid counsel," Bush said. "Harriet Miers' decision demonstrates her deep respect for this essential aspect of the constitutional separation of powers -- and confirms my deep respect and admiration for her.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.