Washington DC Message Boards

Mayor Williams Will Not Seek Third Term

Let me state that I have only been a District resident for two years now. In that time I have gained alot of respect for DC's sexiest man. He cleaned up the city and left its citizens with a positive cash flow. Now its time for you to gain some wealth.

Let me begin by thanking all of my supporters and everyone for coming out here today.

Seven years ago, on beautiful Kingman Island, not far from here, I began my candidacy for Mayor of the District of Columbia. Most of us remember the state of our city on that day.

We were under the thumb of the Control Board. We were bankrupt — our finances a wreck.

We lost 5,000 residents every year. Too many of our agencies languished in receivership.

City services, like garbage pickup and street paving, were abysmal. Potholes sat unfilled. Our DMV was long on lines, short on service. Telephones would ring unanswered, and customer service was unheard of.

Revenues were down. Spending was out of control. Our downtown was a ghost town, a place people feared after dark. As a city, we were closed for business. Homes were abandoned. Crime was sky high. And, worst of all, the reins of city government were being pulled by Congress — instead of by citizens in charge of their own destiny.

But we rose up. We harnessed the energy of many. We abandoned old ideas and ushered in new ones.

We put our house back in order. We sent the control board packing, two years ahead of schedule.

Agencies emerged from receivership. We balanced eight budgets in a row. We now have a large surplus, and a $300 million rainy day fund to protect citizens if the economy turns sour. We repaired our relationship with the federal government.

We returned our rightful elected leaders to the Wilson Building.

City services rose from the basement to the top floor. We launched the Mayor’s Call Center, which has responded to more than 1 million service requests. We went from junk bond status to an “A” bond rating. We created thousands of new homeowners. We boosted our number of police to 3,900, trained them better and reduced violent crime by 34 percent. We created the best municipal Web site in the country.

Together, we lifted up a city that had fallen into disrepair. Together, we spread economic development across all eight wards. Together, we created a government that actually responds to citizen requests. And together, we built a financial house with a firm foundation.

A few weeks ago, our city was among the first to step forward and reach out to the people of New Orleans —offering food, shelter, health care, job assistance, education, and most of all, compassion. Seven years ago, such a mobilization was impossible.

As your Mayor, I have led this city to the threshold of greatness. We have opened the door, and prepared this city to walk through it. But I have come to tell you today that I will not be the one to lead you through that door. I am announcing that I will not seek re-election to a third term as mayor of the District of Columbia.

Although I’ve been your mayor for two terms, my service to the District began in 1995, when I was appointed CFO. At the end of my current term, I will have devoted the last 11 years of my life to making this city a better place. It’s the toughest challenge I’ve ever had — but it’s also the one I’ve loved the most.

My biggest reason for not serving a third term is the feeling that it’s time for a change. Time for me to begin a new chapter in my life and to look for new challenges.

People say: “Why now?” I felt strongly that it was unfair to the people of this city to begin the political process so early. But I also don’t want my future plans to cloud the landscape of our great city.

I want to allow the candidates to make their case to the people as to why they should be elected. I hope that the candidates offer specifics – I hope they put forward concrete ideas about what they would do if they were Mayor. People should listen closely. I know I will.

As I look around the city, I am incredibly proud of what we’ve accomplished.

New retail opportunities for our residents — places like Home Depot, Gallery Place, Best Buy, Container Store, new Giant food stores in Brentwood and Columbia Heights, a Storehouse furniture in Ward 1, and a revitalized neighborhood in Barracks Row.

We opened the new convention center and we’re redeveloping the site of the old one.

On the horizon, we have the Southeast Federal Center, a Costco in Fort Lincoln, a new grocery store in Ward 8, a Target in Columbia Heights, two Harris Teeter grocery stores, a new National Portrait Gallery and the Newseum in Penn Quarter.

This year alone, we’ve opened new affordable housing at Henson Ridge in Ward 8, Capitol Gateway in Northeast, and the Fairmont Apartments in Ward 1.

We’ve got our waterfront plan that begins the Anacostia River’s renewal and rebirth. It’s my belief that the Anacostia River will be one of the great urban rivers in our country and a symbol of our city’s renewal.

Adding to that renewal is baseball. I fought hard and succeeded in bringing a baseball team back to our city after a 34 year absence. Today, the Washington Nationals have surpassed expectations, and baseball is thriving in the District of Columbia.

In a few years, a new ballpark will rise on the shores of the Anacostia. The ballpark will be an economic engine — creating jobs, and luring fans from near and far.

But the ballpark is just one piece in a mosaic of a revitalized Anacostia waterfront. One day this waterfront will be the most beautiful riverfront in the country.

There’s never been a day when I’ve been Mayor alone. From my staff to my agency directors to my deputy mayors, I will leave office confident that I appointed people who left this city better than they found it.

I’m grateful to my friends, supporters, staff and — yes— even my detractors, for helping me bring about the transformation of our magnificent city.

We have 15 months — yes, 15 months — left on this road. There’s still more work to be done. Just yesterday, I shared with you a list of 10 priorities for the coming months.

My “New Communities” and “Way to Work” initiatives will do more to rebuild some of our poorest neighborhoods, and provide jobs for people who live there. The incredible suffering we’ve seen unfold throughout the Gulf Coast is a vivid reminder of continued inequity among races and incomes in our country. My vision for our city is a healthy “stew” of white, black, brown — of all backgrounds and income levels, living side-by-side. I firmly believe that prosperity in our city can benefit and will benefit all residents.

In a few months we’re breaking ground on a new ballpark that will anchor and reinvigorate a corner of our city that today is unknown to most residents.

We need a new library system — starting with a new central library that is an inviting and safe place that’s an inspiration for people who want to learn.

Our schools, our universities, and our libraries are the backbone of instruction and teaching. We must build them up if we want our children to succeed.

Over the next year, I want our city to take more steps towards bridging the “digital divide.” Together, we’re going to make it easier for people of any background to harness the incredible potential of the Internet.

My priorities also include building a new hospital so residents in Wards 6, 7 and 8 don’t have to travel to Northwest for medical care.

I want the Council to approve my crime bill, which would target prostitution, domestic violence and gangs.

In January 2007, when my term is up, I want to leave this city even better than it is today.

Thank you, and God bless you.

Mayor Anthony A. Williams

• 2 weeks later...
Guest House Nigga

Come on people. Leave my home boy Tony Williams alone. Damn it, you wanted a real House Nigga and you got one in Tony.

Nobody should complain as he made you Crackers richer by putting his own deeper into poverty and chasing 35,000 into PG County.

DC owes Tony the HOUSE NIGGA of the century award.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.