Washington DC Message Boards

Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief Effort

Guest Ken Mehlman

Guest Ken Mehlman

Hurricane Katrina has passed and now the people of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama must begin the process of rebuilding. Our thoughts are with those who were affected by this powerful storm. During times like these, there is no room for politics and partisanship. This is a time when we all come together to help our neighbors.

Due to the size of this storm and the area of impact, the cost for recovery will be staggering. For that reason, we are asking you, our supporters, to make a donation to hurricane relief efforts. The American Red Cross and the Salvation Army provide shelter, food, water, blankets and clothing to those who have lost everything.

We appreciate your willingness to help these groups. Your generosity will help the people impacted by the storm begin the process of rising up and recovering from this disaster.

http://www.redcross.org

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org

The Red Cross discourages donations of collected goods and individual items for disaster relief?

Collections of items require valuable and scarce resources such as time, money, and personnel to sort, clean, and distribute them, which come at the expense of the emergency activities relief workers are attempting to perform. The Red Cross has neither the resources, nor the logistical set-up, to properly handle these types of donations, and therefore cannot accept them.

In addition, because the organization has no way of knowing what spontaneous individual donations or unsolicited collections of items will consist of, and therefore cannot ensure there will be enough of a particular item to distribute it equitably, or if the donated products will even be appropriate for the relief effort.

Shipping donated goods is also costly and particularly difficult in the aftermath of a disaster, as roads are often damaged or impassable, and easily clogged with shipments of non-priority items. The Red Cross makes every attempt to procure items locally to save money by minimizing transportation and storage costs.

“We don’t want to discourage people who want to help,” said Lepof. “But, making a financial gift to support the relief operations really is the best way for people to help after a disaster like this.”

Monetary financial contributions enable the Red Cross to support the greatest needs in the most efficient manner. Cash can be used to purchase items in adjacent, staging areas and eliminate the added costs involved in transporting goods

Guest TrueBrit

Here is the link for making an online donation to victims of hurricane Katrina.

https://secure2.convio.net/arc/site/Donatio...AMPAIGN_ID=1161

Donate by Phone Call:

1-800-HELP-NOW

(1-800-435-7669)

English speaking

Call

1-800-257-7575

Spanish Speaking

Call

1-800-220-4095

For TDD Operator

Make sure you mention the Disaster Katrina Relief Fund

THE PRESIDENT: I've just received an update from Secretary Chertoff and other Cabinet Secretaries involved on the latest developments in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. As we flew here today, I also asked the pilot to fly over the Gulf Coast region so I could see firsthand the scope and magnitude of the devastation.

The vast majority of New Orleans, Louisiana is under water. Tens of thousands of homes and businesses are beyond repair. A lot of the Mississippi Gulf Coast has been completely destroyed. Mobile is flooded. We are dealing with one of the worst natural disasters in our nation's history.

And that's why I've called the Cabinet together. The people in the affected regions expect the federal government to work with the state government and local government with an effective response. I have directed Secretary of Homeland Security Mike Chertoff to chair a Cabinet-level task force to coordinate all our assistance from Washington. FEMA Director Mike Brown is in charge of all federal response and recovery efforts in the field. I've instructed them to work closely with state and local officials, as well as with the private sector, to ensure that we're helping, not hindering, recovery efforts. This recovery will take a long time. This recovery will take years.

Our efforts are now focused on three priorities: Our first priority is to save lives. We're assisting local officials in New Orleans in evacuating any remaining citizens from the affected area. I want to thank the state of Texas, and particularly Harris County and the city of Houston and officials with the Houston Astrodome, for providing shelter to those citizens who found refuge in the Super Dome in Louisiana. Buses are on the way to take those people from New Orleans to Houston.

FEMA has deployed more than 50 disaster medical assistance teams from all across the country to help the affected -- to help those in the affected areas. FEMA has deployed more than 25 urban search and rescue teams with more than a thousand personnel to help save as many lives as possible. The United States Coast Guard is conducting search and rescue missions. They're working alongside local officials, local assets. The Coast Guard has rescued nearly 2,000 people to date.

The Department of Defense is deploying major assets to the region. These include the USS Bataan to conduct search and rescue missions; eight swift water rescue teams; the Iwo Jima Amphibious Readiness Group to help with disaster response equipment; and the hospital ship USNS Comfort to help provide medical care.

The National Guard has nearly 11,000 Guardsmen on state active duty to assist governors and local officials with security and disaster response efforts. FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers are working around the clock with Louisiana officials to repair the breaches in the levees so we can stop the flooding in New Orleans.

Our second priority is to sustain lives by ensuring adequate food, water, shelter and medical supplies for survivors and dedicated citizens -- dislocated citizens. FEMA is moving supplies and equipment into the hardest hit areas. The Department of Transportation has provided more than 400 trucks to move 1,000 truckloads containing 5.4 million Meals Ready to Eat -- or MREs, 13.4 million liters of water, 10,400 tarps, 3.4 million pounds of ice, 144 generators, 20 containers of pre-positioned disaster supplies, 135,000 blankets and 11,000 cots. And we're just starting.

There are more than 78,000 people now in shelters. HHS and CDC are working with local officials to identify operating hospital facilities so we can help them, help the nurses and doctors provide necessary medical care. They're distributing medical supplies, and they're executing a public health plan to control disease and other health-related issues that might arise.

Our third priority is executing a comprehensive recovery effort. We're focusing on restoring power and lines of communication that have been knocked out during the storm. We'll be repairing major roads and bridges and other essential means of transportation as quickly as possible.

There's a lot of work we're going to have to do. In my flyover, I saw a lot of destruction on major infrastructure. Repairing the infrastructure, of course, is going to be a key priority.

The Department of Energy is approving loans from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to limit disruptions in crude supplies for refineries. A lot of crude production has been shut down because of the storm. I instructed Secretary Bodman to work with refiners, people who need crude oil, to alleviate any shortage through loans. The Environmental Protection Agency has granted a nationwide waiver for fuel blends to make more gasoline and diesel fuel available throughout the country. This will help take some pressure off of gas price. But our citizens must understand this storm has disrupted the capacity to make gasoline and distribute gasoline.

We're also developing a comprehensive plan to immediately help displaced citizens. This will include housing and education and health care and other essential needs. I've directed the folks in my Cabinet to work with local folks, local officials, to develop a comprehensive strategy to rebuild the communities affected. And there's going to be a lot of rebuilding done. I can't tell you how devastating the sights were.

I want to thank the communities in surrounding states that have welcomed their neighbors during an hour of need. A lot of folks left the affected areas and found refuge with a relative or a friend, and I appreciate you doing that. I also want to thank the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army and the Catholic Charities, and all other members of the armies of compassion. I think the folks in the affected areas are going to be overwhelmed when they realize how many Americans want to help them.

At this stage in the recovery efforts, it's important for those who want to contribute, to contribute cash. You can contribute cash to a charity of your choice, but make sure you designate that gift for hurricane relief. You can call 1-800-HELPNOW, or you can get on the Red Cross web page, RedCross.org. The Red Cross needs our help. I urge our fellow citizens to contribute.

The folks on the Gulf Coast are going to need the help of this country for a long time. This is going to be a difficult road. The challenges that we face on the ground are unprecedented. But there's no doubt in my mind we're going to succeed. Right now the days seem awfully dark for those affected -- I understand that. But I'm confident that, with time, you can get your life back in order, new communities will flourish, the great city of New Orleans will be back on its feet, and America will be a stronger place for it.

The country stands with you. We'll do all in our power to help you. May God bless you.

Thank you.

The Coast Guard strongly urges people in distress in the New Orleans area contact the search and rescue emergency lines for the State Office of Emergency Preparedness in Baton Rouge , La.

(225) 925-7708

(225) 925-7709

(225) 925-3511

(225) 925-7412

Additional Phone Numbers:

IN LOUISIANA, Louisiana State Police:

(225) 922-0325

(225) 922-0332

(225) 922-0333

(225) 922-0334

(225) 922-0335

(225) 922-0341

(225) 925-7398

IN MISSISSIPPI, Call the State EOC at (601) 360-0054

IN ALABAMA, or

To inquire about family and friends that did not evacuate the Greater New Orleans area contact the American Red Cross at the following number:

(866) 438-4636

Help After a Disaster

Applicant's Guide to the Individuals & Households Program

July 2004

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) under the authority of section 408 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. §5174, and Title 44 of the Code Federal Regulations (CFR) may provide financial assistance and, if necessary, direct services to eligible individuals and households who, as a direct result of a major disaster, have necessary expenses and serious needs and are unable to meet such expenses or needs through other means.

OVERVIEW OF THE INDIVIDUALS AND HOUSEHOLDS PROGRAM (IHP)

PURPOSE: When disasters take place, the Individuals and Households Program (IHP) provides money and services to people in the disaster area when losses are not covered by insurance and property has been damaged or destroyed.

This program guide provides information that will help you understand IHP and explains how to apply. You must meet specific eligibility conditions to qualify for help. IHP is designed to help you with critical expenses that cannot be covered in other ways.

LIMITATIONS: IHP will not cover all of your losses from damage to your property (home, personal property, household goods) that resulted from the disaster.

IHP is not intended to restore your damaged property to its condition before the disaster. In some cases, IHP may only provide enough money, up to the program limits, for you to return an item to service.

IHP does not cover business-related losses that resulted from the disaster.

By law, IHP cannot provide money to you for losses that are covered by your insurance.

While some money is available through IHP, most disaster aid from the Federal government is in the form of loans from the Small Business Administration (SBA) that must be repaid. Applicants to IHP may be required to seek help from SBA first, before being considered for certain types of IHP help.

TYPES OF ASSISTANCE:

The following list describes the types of assistance available through IHP and what each provides.

Temporary Housing (a place to live for a limited period of time) - Money is available to rent a different place to live, or a government provided housing unit when rental properties are not available.

Repair - Money is available to homeowners to repair damage from the disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to make the damaged home safe, sanitary, and functional.

Replacement: Money is available to homeowners to replace their home destroyed in the disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to help the homeowner with the cost of replacing their destroyed home.

Permanent Housing Construction: Direct assistance or money for the construction of a home. This type of help occurs only in insular areas or remote locations specified by FEMA, where no other type of housing assistance is possible.

Other Needs: Money is available for necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster. This includes medical, dental, funeral, personal property, transportation, moving and storage, and other expenses that are authorized by law.

YOUR CIVIL RIGHTS AND DISASTER ASSISTANCE

The Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act) is the law that authorizes Federal assistance when the President declares a State to be a disaster area. Section 308 of the Stafford Act protects individuals from discrimination on the basis of their race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, or economic status in all disaster assistance programs. Section 309 of the Stafford Act applies these non-discrimination provisions to all private relief organizations participating in the response and recovery effort.

In addition, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 also protects individuals from discrimination on the basis of their race, color, or national origin in programs that receive Federal financial assistance.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a Federal law that protects individuals with disabilities from discrimination in all programs receiving funds from the Federal government or operated by the Federal government. Section 508 of that law prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilities in regard to federally operated technology systems.

DISASTER ASSISTANCE PROCESS

(To be used by people in Presidentially declared disaster areas.)

1. Apply over the phone to FEMA: Call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) (hearing/speech impaired ONLY—call 1-800-462-7585). In addition to having a pen and paper, please have the following information ready to give to the person who takes your call:

-Your Social Security Number.

-A description of your losses that were caused by the disaster.

-Insurance Information.

-Directions to your damaged property.

-A telephone number where you can be contacted.

More information can be found at this link

http://www.fema.gov/txt/about/process/help...ter_english.txt

BEFORE THESE PEOPLE CRY ABOUT WHAT EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD DO FOR THEM TO FIX THIS SITUATION WHY DONT THEY STOP FOR A MINUTE THE LOOTING RAPING AND ACTING LIKE ANIMALS AND ASK WHAT ALL THOSE ABLE BODIED PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THE AREA CAN DO FOR THEMSELVES. I KNOW THAT WILL BE DIFFICULT SEEING HOW MOST COUNT ON THE GOVERMENT THAT THEY ARE ALWAYS COMPLAINING ABOUT FOR THERE BASIC EXISTENCE AS IT WAS BEFORE THIS EVENT. I CANNOT FATHOM WHY WE WOULD BE ASKED TO RISK OUR LIVES AND THE LIVES OF THE MILITARY FOR THIS SITUATION. IT BLOWS MY MIND THAT PEOPLE CAN BE SO USELESS AND STILL COMPLAIN WE ARE NOT DOING ENOUGH. KUDOS TO BUSH YOU ALLREADY DO TO MUCH FOR THESE PEOPLE I PERSONALLY SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH THEY ARE nnnnooottt WORTH IT

PS I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO GIVE ALL THAT I COULD TO HELP THE ANIMALS THE ONLY ONES I REALLY FEEL FOR IN THIS EVENT.

Guest Anti-Maria

In response to Maria (posted below)

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!! These people could not leave the area because of finances or transportation and have lost everything. I agree that the looting of non-necessity items is wrong. Rape and Murder are inexcusable. However those crimes are being perpetrated by a miniscule fraction of the victims. The majority of these people are suffering through the delayed government response without turning to crime. Some of them are DYING while they wait for help! It is not only the government’s responsibility to help but the responsibility of every American to do what they can, whether it is donating money, volunteering or opening their home. Your perspective is appalling and downright un-American!

Guest DC Red Cross

Citizens are asked not to donate new or used clothes for use by the victims of Hurricane Katrina who are being evacuated to the District government sponsored shelter to be located at the DC National Guard Armory.

The American Red Cross will manage the shelter for the District government, but does not accept or solicit small, individual donations or collections of items for emergency relief purposes. Small items such as collections of food, used clothing, and shoes often must be cleaned, sorted, repackaged and, sometimes, stored which ties up the valuable resources of money, time and personnel that are needed for other aspects of the relief effort.

The city is soliciting large, bulk donations. Persons or corporations that wish to make large, bulk donations should first call (202) 727-1000. Donors of these items must be able to package the items in bulk, palletize them and deliver them directly to the designated site.

Persons who wish to volunteer to assist shelter residents also should call (202) 727-1000 to be placed into the volunteer database being maintained by Serve DC. Volunteers will be matched with volunteer needs and will be contacted about when and where to report.

Volunteers should not self-deploy or show up at the shelter to volunteer. All volunteers must register with Serve DC by calling (202) 727-1000.

Hurricane Katrina's toll on communities, homes and lives has devastated the nation. Now victims must face the daunting question of where to go next--and we can help.

Tens of thousands of newly homeless families are being bused to a stadium in Houston, where they may wait for weeks or months. At least 80,000 are competing for area shelters, and countless more are in motels, cars, or wherever they can stay out of the elements. The Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Red Cross are scrambling to find shelter for the displaced.

This morning, MoveOn.org launched an emergency national housing drive to connect your empty beds with hurricane victims who desperately need a place to wait out the storm. You can post your offer of housing (a spare room, extra bed, even a decent couch) and search for available housing online.

http://www.hurricanehousing.org

The process is simple:

* You can sign up to become a host by posting a description of whatever housing you have available, along with contact information. You can change or remove your offer at any time.

* Hurricane victims, local and national relief organizations, friends and relatives can search the site for housing. We'll do everything we can to get your offers where they are needed most. Many shelters actually already have Internet access, but folks without 'net access can still make use of the site through case workers and family members.

* Hurricane victims or relief agencies will contact hosts and together decide if it's a good match and make the necessary travel arrangements. The host's address is not released until a particular match is agreed on.

Rev. Larry Snyder, president of Catholic Charities USA, is in Baton Rouge this week assisting with local Catholic Charities Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

“Traditionally, Catholic Charities’ role in disaster response has been in helping families and communities recover to the point they were before the storm. In the past, our agencies usually began their long-term recovery weeks after a disaster,” said Fr. Snyder. “However, with Katrina, it is much different. The two Catholic Charities working together in Baton Rogue, as well as the other Catholic Charities all over the country are already assisting displaced people with their immediate needs.”

To date, Catholic Charities has sent a total of $760,000 in emergency grants to eight local Catholic Charities to support their immediate response, which includes temporary housing; food, clothing, and other basic necessities; crisis and grief counseling; and financial assistance.

Because it had to evacuate the city, Catholic Charities of New Orleans is operating out of the offices of Catholic Community Services of Baton Rogue. Both agencies are working collaboratively with state authorities, FEMA, and Red Cross to identify unmet needs and offer relief, food, water, shelter, and counseling and to help people who have been separated from one another to regain communication. The agencies are also networking with other Catholic Charities as a part of Operation Home Away From Home—a national initiative to provide temporary housing for displaced people.

While Catholic Charities agencies around the country are working to meet the immediate needs of evacuees, they are planning their long-term recovery efforts. “Catholic Charities USA is firmly committed to helping people rebuild their lives,” said Fr. Snyder.

Learn more about Catholic Charities’ Katrina recovery efforts at http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/news/katrina.cfm.

Mercy-USA continues to provide food, hygiene packages, clothing and shelter assistance to hurricane survivors from New Orleans and surrounding areas. The need is so great and every dollar counts! Please join us in alleviating the hardships faced by so many hurricane-affected persons.

You may send your contribution immediately through the secure online donation form

http://mercyusa.org/HurricaneKatrinaRelief.cfm

or mail it to:

Mercy-USA for Aid and Development

Attn: Hurricane Katrina Relief

44450 Pinetree Drive, Suite 201

Plymouth, Michigan 48170-3869

Guest katrinachat

Katrina Victims can actually get money from FEMA (except Macintosh or Linux users who are blocked out of their website). "Call 800-621-3362 (800-462-7585 for the hearing- or speech-impaired). The registration line is being operated round-the-clock daily. The best time to call is between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m." Yes, that's right, according to the Houston Chronical the best time to call is in the middle of the night. Evacuees can call the American Red Cross at 800-975-7585 to register for financial assistance. But don't hold your breath or bet your life on FEMA.

Guest Deborah Cook

We are legit go to the texas Secretary of state website.

Enclosed is a list of items needed:

Bandages

Ointment

Underwear for boys, girls, men, women

Shoes casual and dress for boys, girls, nem and women

Slippers for men, women, boys, and girls

Sneakers

Work boots

Hair Spray

Hair styling gel,

hair styling picks

Air freshener

Bleach

Diswashing Liquuid

Can you please send me new ladies and men underwear If you don't want to send boxes of underwear, send a walmart, or target gift card.

LADIES BRAS - All sizes

LADIES PANTIES - All SIZES

LADIES SLIPS - All sizes

GIRLS PANTIES - SIZES 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14

BOYS UNDERPANTS - SIZES 8, 10, 14, 16, 18

MENS UNDERWEAR - ALL SIZES

SOCKS - ALL TYPES

People ALSO needed the flip flops for shower shoes and clean sneakers that had not gone through the toxic Lousiana water.

other items also needed.

Washing Powder

Cleaning Supplies

Lysol

First Aid Supplies

Aspirin

Tylenol

Paper Plates

Plastic Silverware

We are in dire need. We are helping families with up to 30 extra people living with them and we need everything. If you can help us please copy and forward email to everyone that you know. WE are for real. Both listed agencies are nonprofit 501 3 c agencies.

The need is just now getting started. We need Everything.

We need Underwear, Diapers, SIMILAC, Baby Things, PLUS SIZE Womens Clothing, Large men's clothing, Feminine Products, Hair Care supplies for Black Hair, Barrettes, Bands for braids, Soaps, Toiletry Items, Tax Deductible receipt will be given if you provide a list of items given with their cost.

Please email me with items you are sending.

Mail items to:

Pathway of Life Church

Care of

Deborah Cook

8510 Military Parkway

Dallas, Texas 75227

You may contact me directly at

Family Life Outreach Ministries

Deborah Cook

7410 Gillon Drive

Rowlett, Texas 75089

Office Number 972 463 6954

Displaced Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi child support clients

If you have been displaced by Hurricane Katrina and are not receiving child support payments, contact your state child support agency to let them know where you are.

Alabama

Call the Child Support Hurricane Hotline at

1-800-951-1274 or e-mail childsupportstorm@dhr.state.al.us

Louisiana

Call the Louisiana Customer Service Center at

1-800-256-4650 or 1-225-922-8100.

Mississippi

Call the Child Support Hurricane Hotline at 1-866-388-2836 or e-mail poluade@mdhs.state.ms.us

I'm also wondering what is wrong with Maria. She's obviously been brainwashed by the current government. Bush is useless and cares for nothing and no one except promoting HIS agenda (war). Wake up, girl! :angry:

A guest

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.