Washington DC Message Boards

Is Adams Morgan Safe?

Guest Faith

Guest Faith

Hello! I'm thinking about moving to the neighborhood of 16th and U for the summer. I'm a young female and I've read in a couple of places that the neighborhood can get sketchy. I'm from NYC,s o I"m not afraid of cities, but I was wondering what people think about the safety of the neighborhood? Would you suggest it for a female?

I actually think Adams Morgan is great place to live. They have a great Art and Entertainment scene. The income level is moving comparably with New York. If

you are used to living in the city, then you will have no problem. I am willing to

bet you make some great friends as well.

• 6 years later...
Guest Lisa Duperier

Adams Morgan is a great place for a single female, such as myself! The overall crime is average to below average compared to the rest of DC. There is a high rate of theft from autos because too many people leave items clearly visible in cars leading to smash and grabs. There are many places where you would feel comfortable and made welcome even if you went alone. This includes free WiFi spots, park areas, and Trivia and live music venues. [/size] There is one block which is "sketchy" but reasonable caution and awareness makes one safe. I.e. an inebriated person taking a bunch of cash out of an ATM machine and weaving down the street might attract a "robbery of opportunity." I think you would enjoy Adams Morgan and feel safe here.[/font]

• 2 months later...
Guest Adams Morgan Day

On the 2nd Sunday of each September, Adams Morgan holds an all day street festival called the Adams Morgan Day Festival.

It really is a great area for a street party.

Guest Adams Morgan Day

On the 2nd Sunday of each September, Adams Morgan holds an all day street festival called the Adams Morgan Day Festival.

It really is a great area for a street party.