Washington DC Message Boards

Kerry Plans For 2008

Guest Observer

Guest Observer

Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) "huddled with his top fund-raisers Monday night in his Georgetown mansion, preparing a massive money push aimed at keeping the defeated presidential nominee's ambitions alive," the Boston Herald reports.

"Strategists say Kerry will use his new political action committee, Keeping America's Promise, to promote his agenda, help party causes and keep his army of 2.7 million supporters together."

• 3 weeks later...

Hmph.

I really like Mr Kerry, but I can see his window closing fast. Mr Bush was vulnerable in 04, and a more worthy opponent would have smelled blood.

Can John Kerry, after being tagged (albeit unfairly) as a flip-flopper, stand up to a Jeb Bush or Condoleeza Rice campaign, especially if Karl Rove is at the helm?

A lot of democrats put their guns away after the Dean campaign was sunk, and didn't fire them for Kerry.

One thing Kerry has going for him now is experience at mudslinging with

the other candidates.

I think it is important to watch Rove's close bonds with Jeb Bush and Sen. John McCain.

I just do not see a Hillary vs. Rice Presidential race. But, I could be wrong.

Guest Human

What connection is there with jeb bush? that his brother is the President?

As a republican myself, I could have easily worked with the democrats if they won the elections. The democrats in those elections choose to fight and belittle bush instead.

Well!!! the rest is History, bush won not just once but twice.

John McCain reconciled with Karl Rove and President Bush. That was clear during

the elections. I am not stating that he has personal friendship.

If I was John McCain, Jeb Bush (yes, I think he is a candidate), or Rudi Giuliani I would want Karl Rove in my camp. If I was John Kerry or Hillary Clinton I would want Karl Rove in my camp.

Rove is a brilliant campaign strategist. Anyone who could convince people to slander a well respected War Hero like John McCain with stories that the Senator had fathered a black baby by a prostitute, his wife was a drug addict, and that he had become unstable due to his years in a Vietnamese prison camp is amazing in my book. Then to get John McCain, to be an enthusiastic supporter of President Bush during the last campaign is legendary.

Karl Rove used the same strategy against John Kerry and his war record. He will resurrect Hillary's Whitewater notes as well.

Karl Rove is a master at making people look beyond the issues. I wonder if Howard Dean can do anything to bounce Rove's message back.

Guest human
Karl Rove is a master at making people look beyond the issues. I wonder if Howard Dean can do anything to bounce Rove's message back.

It's the people you have working for you that makes a difference.

I aint worried about the Democrats right now. They are just playing catch up.

Guest Roman
Roman,

I see that you are making some harsh statements about the Senator. Do you have an evidence you can show us that this is true? Please post ! Thanks in advance.

Self admitted war criminal and mass murderer of innocents, He in fact says that he is guilty:

"I personally didn't see personal atrocities in the sense I saw somebody cut a head off or something like that," Kerry said. "However, I did take part in free-fire zones, I did take part in harassment and interdiction fire, I did take part in search-and-destroy missions in which the houses of noncombatants were burned to the ground. And all of these acts, I find out later on, are contrary to the Hague and Geneva conventions and to the laws of warfare. So in that sense, anybody who took part in those, if you carry out the application of the Nuremberg Principles, is in fact guilty.

Liberals are dusgusting.

Guest Benita

Here is the full quote that Roman took out of context.

There are all kinds of atrocities, and I would have to say that, yes, yes, I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed in that I took part in shootings in free fire zones. I conducted harassment and interdiction fire. I used 50-caliber machine guns, which we were granted and ordered to use, which were our only weapon against people. I took part in search and destroy missions, in the burning of villages. All of this is contrary to the laws of warfare, all of this is contrary to the Geneva Conventions and all of this is ordered as a matter of written established policy by the government of the United States from the top down. And I believe that the men who designed these, the men who designed the free fire zone, the men who ordered us, the men who signed off the air raid strike areas, I think these men, by the letter of the law, the same letter of the law that tried Lieutenant [William] Calley, are war criminals. - John Kerry, Testimony before subcommittees of the U.S. Senate, April, 1971

Guest BillG

Roman,

I am a diehard Republican and what I see is you are trying to give our party a bad

name. You slander Kerry (Who I did not and never will vote for) by taking quotes out of context. If you want to help out our party, stick with the issues.

BG

Guest Roman

Liberals supported the slaughter of 40 million American babies since 1973, they call it their "right". Now Liberals support an admitted mass murderer for President of the USA that met illegally with the enemy during war time and later talked about the assassinations of several Senators of the USA in his anti-war group, finally voting "no" stopping the terrorist plot ( FBI documented).

Very telling.

Liberals are disgusting immoral cold blooded killers.

You equate Kerry to a mass murderer because he is prochoice.

What about the Rebulican Senators that are pro-choice?

Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island

Senator Susan Collins of Maine

Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska

Senator Gordon Smith of Oregon

Senator Olympia Snowe of Maine

Senator Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania

Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska

Senator John Warner of Virginia

Guest Roman
You equate Kerry to a mass murderer because he is prochoice.

No, I say Kerry is a mass murderer because he admitted to burning the villages of innocents to the ground and slaughtering them with 50 caliber machine guns in seek and destroy missions yet liberals praise this type of activity and call him a hero.

Go figure.

Liberals are cold blooded murderers.

Guest Veteran4Freedom

Roman,

War is not gentle for anyone. We do what we are told and hope to God the

chain of command above us makes the right decisions. I have been fighting

this Vietnam baby killer image for almost 30 years. I can tell by the way

you write, that you probably have never been in the service. You do this country

a great dishonor by smearing our soldiers who put their life on the line to

protect your freedoms.

God Bless America

God Bless George Bush

Guest Roman
Roman,

War is not gentle for anyone. We do what we are told and hope to God the

chain of command above us makes the right decisions. I have been fighting

this Vietnam baby killer image for almost 30 years. I can tell by the way

you write, that you probably have never been in the service. You do this country

a great dishonor by smearing our soldiers who put their life on the line to

protect your freedoms.

God Bless America

God Bless George Bush

I believe that the Nazis tried that defense after WW2. It didn't hold then, it doesn't hold now.

John " kill em all and let God sort them out " Kerry made his choice and slaughtered innocents, liberals praise this man for his evil and want to raise him to the highest office on the land.

Quite telling.

I guess after supporting the slaughter of 40 million babies since 1973, liberals believe that a few dead " gooks" don't matter.

Liberals are disgusting

Roman,

You confuse me? Do you believe both Republicans and Democrats are both to blame? If yes, are you upset at the Nixon, Johnson, and Kennedy administrations for the War in Vietnam. From what I read of you posts you do not explain your

thoughts clearly.

Who would be the perfect Presidential candidate for you? and why?

Guest Roman
Roman,

You confuse me? Do you believe both Republicans and Democrats are both to blame? If yes, are you upset at the Nixon, Johnson, and Kennedy administrations for the War in Vietnam. From what I read of you posts you do not explain your

thoughts clearly.

Who would be the perfect Presidential candidate for you? and why?

Liberal Democrat wars have killed 60,000 Americans ( Viet Nam and Korea ).

Liberals have supported the slaughter of 40 million American babies since 1973.

Liberals support an ideology ( communism ) that slaughtered 60 million people.

Liberals were overjoyed with starving a defenseless bed ridden woman for two weeks until her eyes bled and her ears exploded.

Liberals voted for an admitted mass murderer of innocents while on tour in Viet Nam, that conspired to assassinate American Senators, And met illegally with the enemy giving aid and comfort to the enemy at war time.

Liberalism is the next Nazi death party.

Liberals are evil.

Stay alive, stay free, vote Repulican.

• 1 month later...
Guest John Kerry

"The Constitution didn’t mandate a rubberstamp for George Washington, and the Constitution doesn’t mandate a rubberstamp for George Bush."

Excerpts of Remarks As Prepared for Delivery

Mr. President, we are here at a remarkable moment of confrontation. This is a great institution – at least it always has been – and is looked up to by people all over the world. But caught up as we are now in this moment of partisan, ideological quest for power, the Congress itself is dropping lower and lower in the view of the public.

Rather than reaching across the aisle to grapple with real crises, the Republican leadership moves unilaterally, shutting Senators out of Conference Committees, wasting energy and countless hours to change the rules by breaking the rules.

It’s a stunning moment. Words spoken in this chamber don’t fully convey the full importance of this moment.

Now, in 2005, feeling the flush of victory in controlling two branches of government, elected officials are prepared to serve the moment – not to serve history – not precedent – not common sense – not the real interests of the American people.

The real interests of Americans are served by remembering that the greatest strength and virtue of our democracy is the protection it provides to the minority. That’s what’s special about America. That’s what make’s us different. That’s what makes our democracy so respected and even awesome to people all around the world.

So, this is a dangerous time for our democracy. What’s at stake here is something far greater than the confirmation of these judges. No matter how much time is spent on the life story of Priscilla Owen, we all know it’s nothing more than a smoke screen for what this is really about. It’s not about these few judges. We could have confirmed four judges this morning, but Republican leadership is determined to deny the minority the right to hold the executive accountable for lifetime appointments to the judiciary. It’s about George Bush and Karl Rove and the Republican leadership and their quest for absolute power over the Supreme Court and this Congress. It’s about the gratification of immediate ideological goals and the pursuit of power regardless of the long-term consequences for the Senate – Congress – or our Constitution.

And independence is what this is about. Independence of the Senate and Judiciary from an Administration bent on getting its way – bent on gaining total control notwithstanding the rules. And members of Republican leadership who know what’s at stake work with the Administration to spread mistruths. But none of leadership’s arguments stand up to Constitutional scrutiny. None of them. None of these hollow, tortured, poll-tested statements like “up or down votes” or “unprecedented” are valid. They sound good, but they’re not true, and we all know it. Yet Senators continue to fall in line, turning this into a debate about twisted terminology, not the Constitution, history and rights of Senators.

And I think there would be more outrage if the value of truth had not been so diminished by this Administration. We have a budget that comes trillions short of counting every dollar we plan to spend. We had a Medicare actuary forced to fudge the numbers and lie to Congress to keep his job. We had falsified numbers in Iraq on everything from the cost of the war to the number of trained Iraqi troops to a “slam dunk” case for weapons of mass destruction. We have an Administration that continues to want to fund fake newscasts to mislead people all across America.

So now we find ourselves in a struggle between a great political tradition in the United States that seeks common ground so we can do the common good – and a new ethic that, on any given issue, will use any means to justify the end of absolute victory over whatever and whoever stands in the way.

The new view says if you don’t like the facts, just change them; if you can’t win playing by the rules, just rewrite them. The new view says if you can’t win a debate on the strength of your argument, demonize your opponents. The new view says it’s okay to ignore the overwhelming public interest as long as you can get away with it.

And this time the Republican leadership has gone farthest of all to get away with it, hoping to convince Americans that by breaking the Senate rules they are acting to defend the Constitution, honor the words of our Founding Fathers, and avert a judicial crisis.

But we all know this debate is fueled by ideology, not by defense of democratic principle or some shortage of judges on the bench. The facts have been repeated clearly again and again, and are repeatedly brushed aside and ignored. But with over 95% of the judges already approved, we all know this is nothing more than a power grab by an Administration bent on controlling every aspect of our government, even if that means weakening it.

What is threatened is a delicately balanced system that for 214 years successfully prevented the Executive from usurping power granted in good faith by the American people. And that threat manifests itself in a “nuclear option” that threatens the character of this Senate. The integrity of this Senate is threatened when the majority attempts to change the rules by breaking the rules. The balance of power is threatened when the power of advice and consent is gutted. Our democracy is threatened when we set the dangerous precedent that minority rights can be silenced whenever they inconvenience the majority. And I believe that our courts and the justice they are meant to deliver are threatened by some of the judges President Bush has nominated.

My colleagues should defend their judges, but defend them without tearing down our Constitution and our Founding Fathers, or destroying the rules and character of the United States Senate. Defend your judges without ceding dangerous and corruptive levels of power to this Administration. Defend your judges without erasing 214 years of wisdom and sacrifice that raised this nation from tyranny and spread freedom across the globe.

Congress, Washington, and our democracy itself are being tested. We each have to ask ourselves, will we let this continue? To those in this chamber who have reservations about the choices their leadership has made, and who worry about the possible repercussions on our Constitution and democracy, look at history and find the courage to do what’s right. History has always remembered those who are courageous, and will remember the courageous few who lived up to their responsibility and spoke truth to power when the Senate was tested – so that power did not go unchecked.

The Senate and the country need Senators of courage who are prepared to make their mark on history by standing with past profiles in courage, and defending not party, not partisanship, but defending principle and democracy itself.

Guest human

To whomever wrote for John Kerry, in the Judicial Process the fight was in the Senate, and not in the Congress.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Guest Roman

Liberals want an admitted murderer of innocents that betrayed the nation by giving aid and comfort to the enemy during war time to run the country.

Liberals hate America.

Guest BlingBling

Roman you cannot support your own arguement.

Kerry Fights communist in Vietnam

You equate liberals as Communist

You equate Kerry as a Liberal

Therefore, Kerry fights himself

Duh, you might want to take a few rhetoric classes

at your local community college before trying to engage

the general public with your dribble.

Strike that, with schooling you might become a dangerous

pundit of misinformation.

A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.