Washington DC Message Boards

Understanding the Wisdom of Our Lord

Luke_Wilbur

Is it possible for the the Holy Spirit is both the Glory (Shekinah) and Wisdom (Sophia) of God? Do we have a soul blessed with water when we enter this world. Many people throughout history on earth have been searching for answers to our existence. A reoccurring theme is how God cast light on understanding the way of the righteous. I pray that I may gain discipline and the fruit of prudence. My aim is to fear, love, please and serve our Lord by learning and following His law. Here is what I have found.

Targum of Jonathan Ben Uzziel

1 In wisdom (be-hukema) the Lord created.

Hebrew Midrash - Exodus Rabba

Water, air, and fire were created before the world; the water begat darkness, the fire begat light, the spirit or air begat wisdom, and with these the world is always governed, viz., wind, fire, wisdom, light, darkness, and water.

Proverbs

3:19 By wisdom the Lord laid the foundation of the earth;

8:12 “I, wisdom, live with prudence,

and I find knowledge and discretion.

8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil;

I hate arrogant pride and the evil way

and perverse utterances

8:14 Counsel and sound wisdom belong to me;

I possess understanding and might.

8:15 Kings reign by means of me,

and potentates decree righteousness;

8:16 by me princes rule,

as well as nobles and all righteous judges. 32

8:17 I love those who love me,and those who seek me find me.

8:18 Riches and honor are with me,long-lasting wealth and righteousness.

8:19 My fruit is better than the purest gold, and what I produce is better than choice silver.

8:20 I walk in the path of righteousness,in the pathway of justice,

8:21 that I may cause those who love me to inherit wealth, and that I may fill their treasuries.

8:22 The Lord created me as the beginning 40 of his works, before his deeds of long ago.

8:23 From eternity I was appointed, from the beginning, from before the world existed.

8:24 When there were no deep oceans I was born,
when there were no springs overflowing with water;

8:25 before the mountains were set in place –

before the hills – I was born,

8:26 before he made the earth and its fields, or the beginning of the dust of the world.

8:27 When he established the heavens, I was there;when he marked out the horizon over the face of the deep,

8:28 when he established the clouds above,when the fountains of the deep grew strong,

8:29 when he gave the sea his decree that the waters should not pass over his command,

when he marked out the foundations of the earth,

8:30 then I was beside him as a master craftsman, and I was his delight day by day, rejoicing before him at all times,

8:31 rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth, and delighting in its people.

8:32 “So now, children, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways.

8:33 Listen to my instruction so that you may be wise, and do not neglect it.

8:34 Blessed is the one who listens to me,
watching at my doors day by day,waiting beside my doorway.

8:35 For the one who finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord.

8:36 But the one who does not find me brings harm to himself; all who hate me love death.”

8:35 For whoso finds me finds life, and obtains favor of the LORD.

9:1 Wisdom has built her house, she has hewn out her seven pillars;

9:2 She has prepared her meat, she has mixed her wine; she also has arranged her table.

9:3 She has sent out her female servants; she calls out on the highest places of the city.

9:4 “Whoever is naive, let him turn in here,”

she says to those who lack understanding.

9:5 “Come, eat some of my food,and drink some of the wine I have mixed.

9:6 Abandon your foolish ways so that you may live, and proceed in the way of understanding.”

9:7 Whoever corrects a mocker is asking for insult; whoever reproves a wicked person receives abuse.

9:8 Do not reprove a mocker or he will hate you; reprove a wise person and he will love you.

9:9 Give instruction to a wise person, and he will become wiser still; teach a righteous person and he will add to his learning.

9:10 The beginning of wisdom is to fear the Lord, and acknowledging the Holy One is understanding.

9:11 For because of me your days will be many,
and years will be added to your life.

9:12 If you are wise, you are wise to your own advantage, but if you are a mocker, you alone must bear it.

11:12 The one who denounces his neighbor lacks wisdom, but the one who has discernment keeps silent.

11:13 The one who goes about slandering others reveals secrets, but the one who is trustworthy conceals a matter.

21:16 The one who wanders from the way of wisdom will rest among the Shades.

Psalms

51:5 Look, I was guilty of sin from birth, a sinner the moment my mother conceived me.

51:6 Look, you desire integrity in the inner man; you want me to possess wisdom.

51:7 Sprinkle me with water and I will be pure;
wash me and I will be whiter than snow.

51:8 Grant me the ultimate joy of being forgiven!

78:1 Pay attention, my people, to my instruction! Listen to the words I speak!

78:2 I will sing a song that imparts wisdom;

I will make insightful observations about the past.

78:3 What we have heard and learned – that which our ancestors have told us –

78:4 we will not hide from their descendants.
We will tell the next generation about the Lord’s praiseworthy acts, about his strength and the amazing things he has done.

Isaiah

47:10 You were complacent in your evil deeds;

you thought, ‘No one sees me.’ Your self-professed wisdom and knowledge lead you astray, when you say, ‘I am unique! No one can compare to me!’

47:11 Disaster will overtake you; you will not know how to charm it away. Destruction will fall on you; you will not be able to appease it.

Calamity will strike you suddenly, before you recognize it.

Daniel

9:11 “All Israel has broken your law and turned away by not obeying you. Therefore you have poured out on us the judgment solemnly threatened in the law of Moses the servant of God, for we have sinned against you.

9:12 He has carried out his threats against us and our rulers who were over us by bringing great calamity on us – what has happened to Jerusalem has never been equaled under all heaven!

9:13 Just as it is written in the law of Moses, so all this calamity has come on us. Still we have not tried to pacify the LORD our God by turning back from our sin and by seeking wisdom from your reliable moral standards.

9:14 The LORD was mindful of the calamity, and he brought it on us. For the LORD our God is just in all he has done, and we have not obeyed him.

Prophecy Of Baruch

3:14 Learn where is wisdom, where is strength, where is understanding: that thou mayst know also where is length of days and life, where is the light of the eyes, and peace.

3:15 Who hath found out her place? and who hath gone in to her treasures?

3:26 26 There were the giants, those renowned men that were from the beginning, of great stature, expert in war.

3:27 The Lord chose not them, neither did they find the way of knowledge: therefore did they perish.

3:28 And because they had not wisdom, they perished through their folly.

3:29 Who hath gone up into heaven, and taken her, and brought her down from the clouds?

3:30 Who hath passed over the sea, and found her, and brought her preferably to chosen gold?

3:31 There is none that is able to know her ways, nor that can search out her paths:

3:32 But he that knows all things, knows her, and hath found her out with his understanding:

He that prepared the earth for evermore, and filled it with cattle and fourfooted beasts:

3:33 He that sends forth light, and it goes:

and hath called it, and it obeys him with trembling.

3:36 This is our God, and there shall no other be accounted of in comparison of him.

3:37 He found out all the way of knowledge, and gave it to Jacob his servant, and to Israel his beloved.

3:39 Afterwards he was seen upon earth, and conversed with men.

3:40 "Was seen upon earth"... viz., by the mystery of the incarnation, by means of which the son of God came visibly amongst us, and conversed with men.

The prophets often speak of things to come as if they were past, to express the certainty of the event of the things foretold.

Wisdom

1:4 For into a malicious soul wisdom shall not enter; nor dwell in the body that is subject unto sin.

1:5 the holy spirit of discipline will flee deceit, and remove from thoughts that are without understanding, and will not abide when unrighteousness cometh in.

1:6 For wisdom is a loving spirit; and will not acquit a blasphemer of his words: for God is witness of his reins, and a true beholder of his heart, and a hearer of his tongue.

7:7 Wherefore I prayed, and understanding was given me: I called upon God, and the spirit of wisdom came to me.

5:12 Wisdom is glorious, and never fades away: yea, she is easily seen of them that love her, and found of such as seek her.

5:13 She prevents them that desire her, in making herself first known unto them.

5:14 Whoso seeks her early shall have no great travail: for he shall find her sitting at his doors.

5:15 To think therefore upon her is perfection of wisdom: and whoso looks for her shall quickly be without care.

5:16 For she goes about seeking such as are worthy of her, shows herself favourably unto them in the ways, and meets them in every thought.

5:17 For the very true beginning of her is the desire of discipline; and the care of discipline is love;

5:18 And love is the keeping of her laws; and the giving heed unto her laws is the assurance of incorruption;

7:7 Wherefore I prayed, and understanding was given me: I called upon God, and the spirit of wisdom came to me.

7:8 I preferred her before scepters and thrones, and esteemed riches nothing in comparison of her.

7:9 Neither compared I unto her any precious stone, because all gold in respect of her is as a little sand, and silver shall be counted as clay before her.

7:10 I loved her above health and beauty, and chose to have her instead of light: for the light that cometh from her never goeth out.

7:11 All good things together came to me with her, and innumerable riches in her hands.

7:12 And I rejoiced in them all, because wisdom goes before them: and I knew not that she was the mother of them.

7:13 I learned diligently, and do communicate her liberally: I do not hide her riches.

7:14 For she is a treasure unto men that never fails: which they that use become the friends of God, being commended for the gifts that come from learning.

7:15 God hath granted me to speak as I would, and to conceive as is meet for the things that are given me: because it is he that leads unto wisdom, and directs the wise.

7:17 For in his hand are both we and our words; all wisdom also, and knowledge of workmanship.

7:22 For wisdom, which is the worker of all things, taught me: for in her is an understanding spirit holy, one only, manifold, subtil, lively, clear, undefiled, plain, not subject to hurt, loving the thing that is good quick, which cannot be letted, ready to do good,

7:23 Kind to man, steadfast, sure, free from care, having all power, overseeing all things, and going through all understanding, pure, and most subtle, spirits.

7:24 For wisdom is more moving than any motion: she passes and goes through all things by reason of her pureness.

7:25 For she is the breath of the power of God, and a pure influence flowing from the glory of the Almighty: therefore can no defiled thing fall into her.

7:26 For she is the brightness of the everlasting light, the unspotted mirror of the power of God, and the image of his goodness.

7:27 And being but one, she can do all things: and remaining in herself, she makes all things new: and in all ages entering into holy souls, she makes them friends of God, and prophets.

7:28 For God loveth none but him that dwelleth with wisdom.

7:29 For she is more beautiful than the sun, and above all the order of stars: being compared with the light, she is found before it.

7:30 For after this cometh night: but vice shall not prevail against wisdom.

8:1 Wisdom reaches from one end to another mightily: and sweetly doth she order all things.

8:2 I loved her, and sought her out from my youth, I desired to make her my spouse, and I was a lover of her beauty.

8:3 In that she is conversant with God, she magnified her nobility: yea, the Lord of all things himself loved her.

8:4 For she is privy to the mysteries of the knowledge of God, and a lover of his works.

8:5 If riches be a possession to be desired in this life; what is richer than wisdom, that worketh all things?

8:6 And if prudence work; who of all that are is a more cunning workman than she?

8:7 And if a man love righteousness her labors are virtues: for she teaches temperance and prudence, justice and fortitude: which are such things, as en can have nothing more profitable in their life.

8:8 If a man desire much experience, she knoweth things of old, and conjectureth aright what is to come: she knoweth the subtilties of speeches, and can expound dark sentences: she foreseeth signs and wonders, and the events of seasons and times.

9:4 Give me wisdom, that sits by thy throne; and reject me not from among thy children:

9:5 For I thy servant and son of thine handmaid am a feeble person, and of a short time, and too young for the understanding of judgment and laws.

9:6 For though a man be never so perfect among the children of men, yet if thy wisdom be not with him, he shall be nothing regarded.

9:9 And wisdom was with thee: which knows thy works, and was present when thou made the world, and knew what was acceptable in thy sight, and right in thy commandments.

9:10 O send her out of thy holy heavens, and from the throne of thy glory, that being present she may labor with me, that I may know what is pleasing unto thee.

9:11 For she knows and understands all things, and she shall lead me soberly in my doings, and preserve me in her power.

9:17 And thy counsel who hath known, except thou give wisdom, and send thy Holy Spirit from above?

9:18 For so the ways of them which lived on the earth were reformed, and men were taught the things that are pleasing unto thee, and were saved through wisdom.

10:1 She preserved the first formed father of the world, that was created alone, and brought him out of his fall,

10:2 And gave him power to rule all things.

10:3 But when the unrighteous went away from her in his anger, he perished also in the fury wherewith he murdered his brother.

10:4 For whose cause the earth being drowned with the flood, wisdom again preserved it, and directed the course of the righteous in a piece of wood of small value.

10:5 Moreover, the nations in their wicked conspiracy being confounded, she found out the righteous, and preserved him blameless unto God, and kept him strong against his tender compassion toward his son.

10:6 When the ungodly perished, she delivered the righteous man, who fled from the fire which fell down upon the five cities.

10:7 Of whose wickedness even to this day the waste land that smokes is a testimony, and plants bearing fruit that never come to ripeness: and a standing pillar of salt is a monument of an unbelieving soul.

10:8 For regarding not wisdom, they gat not only this hurt, that they knew not the things which were good; but also left behind them to the world a memorial of their foolishness: so that in the things wherein they offended they could not so much as be hid.

10:9 Rut wisdom delivered from pain those that attended upon her.

10:10 When the righteous fled from his brother's wrath she guided him in right paths, shewed him the kingdom of God, and gave him knowledge of holy things, made him rich in his travels, and multiplied the fruit of his labors.

10:11 In the covetousness of such as oppressed him she stood by him, and made him rich.

10:12 She defended him from his enemies, and kept him safe from those that lay in wait, and in a sore conflict she gave him the victory; that he might know that goodness is stronger than all.

10:13 When the righteous was sold, she forsook him not, but delivered him from sin: she went down with him into the pit,

10:14 And left him not in bonds, till she brought him the scepter of the kingdom, and power against those that oppressed him: as for them that had accused him, she shewed them to be liars, and gave him perpetual glory.

10:15 She delivered the righteous people and blameless seed from the nation that oppressed them.

10:16 She entered into the soul of the servant of the Lord, and withstood dreadful kings in wonders and signs;

10:17 Rendered to the righteous a reward of their labors, guided them in a marvelous way, and was unto them for a cover by day, and a light of stars in the night season;

10:18 Brought them through the Red sea, and led them through much water:

10:19 But she drowned their enemies, and cast them up out of the bottom of the deep.

10:20 Therefore the righteous spoiled the ungodly, and praised thy holy name, O Lord, and magnified with one accord thine hand, that fought for them.

10:21 For wisdom opened the mouth of the dumb, and made the tongues of them that cannot speak eloquent.

Matthew

11:19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him, a glutton and a drunk, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But Wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.”

James

1:5 But if anyone is deficient in wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without reprimand, and it will be given to him.

1:6 But he must ask in faith without doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed around by the wind.

1:7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord,

1:8 since he is a double-minded individual, unstable in all his ways.

3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct he should show his works done in the gentleness that wisdom brings.

3:14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfishness in your hearts, do not boast and tell lies against the truth.

3:15 Such wisdom does not come from above but is earthly, natural, demonic.

3:16 For where there is jealousy and selfishness, there is disorder and every evil practice.

3:17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, accommodating, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial, and not hypocritical.

3:18 And the fruit that consists of righteousness is planted in peace among those who make peace.

2 Corinthians

3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is present, there is freedom.

3:18 And we all, with unveiled faces reflecting the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another, which is from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Colossians

4:5 Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunities.

4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer everyone.