Washington DC Message Boards

Election 2004

Guest DC Newsdesk

Guest DC Newsdesk

An evenly divided electorate split sharply, and in some states decisively, on age, gender, religious, racial and ideological lines, according to national exit polls.

Respondents painted contrasting images of what qualities they desired in a president, as well as what issues they felt were most important.

Sen. John Kerry's backers emphasized jobs, intelligence, empathy and desire for change. Supporters of President Bush, meanwhile, stressed terrorism, faith, clarity and trust.

A roughly equal number of respondents called "moral values" and the economy as the 2004 election's most importance issues. Those who cited the former backed Bush overwhelmingly (78 percent, with 19 percent for Kerry); those who made the latter a priority voted for Kerry by a similar margin (81 percent, with 17 percent for Bush).

Terrorism and the war in Iraq rated as the third and fourth top issues, respectively. While the voting public evenly split on the Iraq war, those who called it a top issue were far more likely to support Kerry. Bush won handily among those who prioritized terrorism.

Exit polls indicated a tense political climate, with little common ground between supporters of the two major candidates.

About two-thirds said Kerry and Bush attacked one another unfairly. While many voters expressed disapproval with the political process, many of the attacks seemed to resonate.

About 54 percent of respondents said Kerry mostly says what "people want to hear," rather than what he believes. On the flip side, about 57 percent said that Bush pays more attention to large corporations than "ordinary Americans."

One-quarter of respondents said they were "angry" with the Bush administration, with only 6 percent of Kerry voters saying they had a favorable opinion of the president. The senator did not rate high among Bush voters either, with 90 percent expressing an unfavorable opinion.

Economic, religious divide Respondents' views on the economy corresponded significantly with their vote. Bush won in a landslide among roughly 45 percent who called the current situation "excellent" or "good," while Kerry did similarly well among those who identified it as "not good" or "poor."

There was also a decided income divide: Those earning $50,000 or less resoundingly backed the Massachusetts senator (58 percent to 41 percent), while respondents with a higher annual income were more likely to back the president.

Regular churchgoers, especially in the Midwest and South, disproportionately voted for the president (58 percent to 40 percent), while Kerry made up that margin among those who said they "occasionally" or "never" went to church. Catholic voters split roughly evenly between the two candidates.

The president saw his support slip, compared to 2000, among baby boomers (age 45-59) and young voters, with those age 18-29 backing Kerry by a roughly 14 percentage point margin.

Ninety percent of African-Americans followed the historic trend and backed the Democratic ticket. Bush did make inroads among Latino voters, garnering 41 percent support (6 percent more than four years ago) to Kerry's 56 percent.

Guest DC Newsdesk

This election is a real nailbiter.

So far, the race has mirrored the 2000 election exactly, with Mr. Bush winning all the states he carried four years ago, and Kerry winning all the states former Vice President Al Gore captured.

If this Presidential race turns out to be a tie. The newly elected House of Representatives would have to vote for the New President.

This will depend on the Provisional ballots in Ohio. It really looks an uphill battle for Senator Kerry.

Guest Jack in the Box

Luke,

Here is something I found on Ohio Recount Procedure.

The procedure in Ohio for an election recount is set forth in chapter 3515 of the Ohio Revised Code. Under Ohio law, a recount can commence one of two ways: by application or, when the margin of victory is very small, automatically.

Application or Automatic

Any losing nominee or candidate in a primary, general, or special election can request a recount. Also, a group of five or more voters can request a recount on a question or issue. The recount process begins by filing a written application with the Board of Elections of each county in which votes are to be recounted. R.C. 3515.01. The application must be filed within five days after the results were declared. R.C. 3515.02. The application must also list each precinct within the county where votes are to be recounted, and for each precinct a $10 deposit must be paid. R.C. 3515.03.

If the margin of victory of the nominee, candidate, or issue is less than one-half of one percent of the vote, section 3515.011 of the Revised Code triggers an automatic recount in all county, municipal, and district elections. An even slimmer margin —one-fourth of one percent—triggers an automatic recount in a statewide election.

The Recount Process

Once the recount process is initiated, section 3515.03 compels the county Board of Elections to set a time, place, and method for the recount. The board must notify the applicant and others for whom votes were cast of the recount by certified mail no later than five days before the recount is scheduled. This notice, however, can be waived by filing a written notice. All who receive notice are permitted to attend the recount or select a witness to attend on their behalf.

At the designated time and place for the recount, the Board of Elections opens the sealed ballot containers and recounts the ballots. Only the director of the Board of Elections, board members, or employees can handle the ballots. Witnesses can only observe the recount; they cannot touch the ballots. R.C. 3515.04. Following the 2000 Florida punch card controversy, the Ohio General Assembly amended the recount procedure. Section 3515.04 now mandates that a selection on a punch card ballot will not count unless the chad is detached by at least two corners. ("Chad" means the small piece of paper or cardboard produced from a punch card ballot when a voter pierces a hole in a perforated, designated position on the ballot with a marking device to record the voter's candidate, question, or issue choice. R.C. 3506.16.)

Once a recount starts, the applicant or declared losing nominee or candidate can file a written request to stop the recount with the Board of Elections. R.C. 3515.04. However, if the results at the time of the request show that the election results would be reversed if the recount stopped immediately, the recount continues until all of the precincts have been recounted.

When the recount is complete, the Board of Elections declares the amended results, or in the case of a statewide election, the revised numbers are sent to the Secretary of State pursuant to section 3515.05. If the effect of the recount is to declare a different winner of the election, the candidate who came out on top in the original count may, within five days of the release of the new results, apply for a recount of any or all of the precincts that were not already recounted. R.C. 3515.06. In this second recount, all of the rules of the first recount apply, including the required deposit of $10 per precinct.

Contest of Election

The process might not end here. A defeated nominee or candidate could contest the election following a recount. Section 3515.09 provides for filing a contest of election petition by defeated nominees or candidates with the clerk of the appropriate court. The petition must be filed within 10 days of the announcement of the results of the recount. The petition must be verified and set forth the grounds for the contest and be accompanied by a surety bond sufficient to pay all the costs of the contest. In any contest of election involving a recount, all the recounted ballots are sent to the court, which conducts a recount as provided by section 3515.13. In order to prevail, a contestant must prove by clear and convincing evidence that voting irregularities affected enough votes to "change or make uncertain the result." In re Election Contest of December 14, 1999 Special Election for the Office of Mayor of the City of Willoughby Hills, 744 N.E.2d 745, 747 (Ohio 2001).

It appears that the GOP moral agenda was the decisive factor in this election. The majority of people who attend Church voted Republican.

President Bush and the Republican Party stand to gain complete control of Congress and the Supreme Court.

There is 3,200 lawyers on the Democrat side in Ohio. That's alot of Lawyers.

Ya know, I got to say it.

This has been Incredible.Tom Daschle has been defeated, that is Major.

What an Election this has been. WOW!!!!

Guest Brown Girl

What happened to "Rock the Vote" or "Vote or Die" ??????

I think the hype of young people coming out to vote was B.S.

Only 10% showed up to vote.

This message is for 90% 18-25 year olds that whine about the government,

just remember this election!

Bush did not personally claim victory. But at 5:45 a.m., his chief of staff, Andrew Card, appeared at Washington's Ronald Reagan Building to say "we are convinced that President Bush has won reelection . . . This all adds up to a convincing electoral college victory as well as a strong endorsement by his fellow Americans in the popular vote."

Bush currently leads Kerry in Ohio by a difference of 136,221 votes

Mr Bush is delaying a formal victory claim to give Senator Kerry "time to reflect" on the results, chief of staff Andrew Card said.

The president is expected to make a statement in the next few hours.

The Democrats are so far refusing to concede, saying a substantial number of uncounted provisional ballots could yet give them victory in Ohio, which has 20 votes in the Electoral College.

Current projections give Mr Bush 254 Electoral College votes and Senator Kerry 252.

Pending election kudos goes out to Karl Rove, the chief political strategist for President Bush's reelection campaign.

Rove's message of America needs President Bush for moral clarity and courage to do what is right seems to be what voters wanted to hear.

I will tell you people something here. When I worked for the Republicans, my recommendations for the Main chats were this.

Let the Democrats keep the main chats, those are worthless. It's the Boards where it's more serious.

Anyone who has been on the Main ISP chats know ,that those are a nightmare.

Simply no point in going on them.

When I worked for the Republicans.

Human,

What did you do for the Republican Party?

I do respect your courtesy and candor over the past few months I have been reading your posts. I do hope that both Republicans and Democrats can work

together now that the elections are over.

I also hope that you consider registering with DC Discussions. You would be

a valuable member to our community.

All ready registered. I forgot when I first came on to this Directory (It's been so long), I know it was before 95. Just can't remember anymore. You'll really have great directories, if more people came on to the directories that you have, they would get an education.

Your boards are good too. You can learn so much by what people post, like the educational grants directory (this is a good one)~~~~ http://www.lib.msu.edu/harris23/grants/3specpop.htm

Okay, that one is not exactly little,but it's fun.

This is a political revolution down Conservative tracts. Bush has a United Government, but a divided Country and the People around the Globe are

watching.

Look for more preemptive strikes on aggressive Institutions, privitized Social Security for the Baby Boomer generation, controlled stem cell research, a new look at abortions, a Federal definition of Marriage, a Walmartized employment situation, a corporate view of the Environment, and permanent higher income tax breaks. New Supreme Court justices that will shape the Constitution for generations.

Mark my words George Bush will remembered as the President that changed Our Nation's definition of Freedom.

This is the United States of America, not the United States of the Republican Party or the United States of the Democratic Party.

I pray that Our President will consider We the People in all decisions. I pray that

God will Enlighten and Unite Our Government to follow the Right direction. I pray that Citizens quit bickering and work in the name of PEACE.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.