Washington DC Message Boards

Walmart Business Practices Bad for America

Luke_Wilbur

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walmart will bring the end to America as we know it. They offer no benefits to their employees. They sell chinese products. I would rather go somewhere and pay a little more knowing it is not foreign made. But obviously the USA is all people who only think of themselves. America is going to be a third world country.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some facts on Walmart that I found to share with you.

Walmart has more full-time employees -- 2.1 million -- than seven times the population of Iceland.

Walmart's $405 billion in revenue last year makes it the 23rd-largest economy in the world, bigger than Sweden.

This year, everyone in the world will make an average of 1.1 purchases at a Walmart.

Each week nearly one-third of the U.S. population visits Walmart's U.S. stores.

China's exports to Walmart accounted for 11% of the growth of the total US trade deficit with China between 2001 and 2006.

A Walmart store in Shenzen, China has it's own fight song ("My heart is filled with pride .. I long to tell you how deep my love for Wal-Mart is ...")

Walmart operates internationally under 55 different names, including Walmex in Mexico, Asda in the UK, Seiyu in Japan, and Best Price in India.

Walmart is becoming an abomination. They reap billions in profits, yet they treat their employees horribly (many without benefits) and bully their vendors. There is not too many American ones left.

Guest just sayin

Walmart's $4 Drugs Coming From Indian Companies Whose Products Have Been Banned from direct distribution in US and Canada

To profit on $4 dollar prescriptions, Walmart is importing drugs from foreign countries, including India.

Walmart's Indian drug suppliers, Ranbaxy Laboratories, LTD, has been repeatedly investigated by the Food and Drug Administration and the Department of Justice for "inadequate" safeguards against contamination, falsification of records and submitting false information to the FDA. Yet Walmart still imports generic drugs made by Ranbaxy. Walmart even awarded the company a "Supplier Award" for improving shipping times and performance!

The local pharmacies and even Safeway/Albertsons can connect responsible consumers with prescription discounts that at least will not likely endanger your loved ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest madmilker

After Sam passed away why they took that hyphen from Wal-Mart and replaced it with a big single STAR. But…some of those same folks can’t understand why they moved their Global Procurement Offices to Hong Kong and than to China.

Oh! and lets not forget their deal in 2006 on a port in Mexico between the government of China, Mexico and a container company from Hong Kong. Especially knowing who owns that container company.

For me….I would just like to know who ended up with Ol'Roy, Sam’s bird dog after Sam had him stuffed.

• 2 weeks later...

WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price

See The Feature Film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GINui9LdIQ

So what should we do, ban ourselves from making any purchases form Sam's Club and Wal-Mart stores?

wal-mart-the-high-cost-of-low-price-movie-poster-1020481693.jpg

:huh:

See the movie trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSmlmXp-aU

Edited by Doug_White

Guest Goat Boy

Sales at U.S. Wal-Mart stores open at least a year fell 1.3 percent, the sixth consecutive quarterly decline at the world's largest retailer. I wonder if the holiday season will push them back up.

The Supreme Court's decision will drive the outcome for the millions of women who believe Walmart discriminated against them.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704156304576003313491986164.html

The Supreme Court agreed Monday to hear Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s bid to block a massive class-action lawsuit alleging that the retailing giant discriminated against as many as 1.5 million female employees.

Beyond its significance for the nation's largest retailer and the employees who were allegedly harmed, the case could clarify federal rules on class action suits and perhaps establish a uniform national standard.

The issue before the high court is whether the would-be members of the class have enough in common that their claims can be fairly decided in a single action.

Filed in 2001, the suit alleges Wal-Mart paid women less than men and gave them fewer opportunities for promotions—claims that, if proved, could lead to billions of dollars in back pay and punitive damages.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704156304576003313491986164.html

Guest David Morin

Walmart is the epitome of all that is wrong with America. Endless, personality-free sprawl, addiction to CHEAP crap and materialism, and a complete lack of respect for its patrons or employees. I will starve in the street before I go to Walmart again.

Guest IHateDiamonds

When Walmart wanted to come to my hometown (Rosemead, CA) they literally bought off the city council with about 2 million dollars. I think the best hope for resistance is the mob. Fight fire with fire.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest walmartwatch

The evil Lord Waldemart killed Harry's parents business. Now Harry must stop him in his attempt to torture House Elves and suck the magic from local communities! Go to www.walmartwatch.com to find out how you can help! Photographed and edited by Ian Brownell. Costumes by Tim Baum.

The reason why Walmart does not really care about the United States anymore is that Barclays Global Investors UK Holdings Ltd is the largest shareholder. So in reality Walmart is a British company.

From what I see the Waltons still have control.

Here are the top individual owners

http://sec.gov/cgi-bin/own-disp?CIK=0000104169&action=getissuer

WALTON JIM C 10 percent owner

10,493,219.2448 Shares

1,680,506,739 Shares by LLC

John T. Walton Estate Trust 10 percent owner

Estate of John T. Walton 10 percent owner

WALTON S ROBSON

1,680,506,739 by LLC

Barclays Global Investors UK Holdings Limited is the largest corporate shareholder

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1139734/000113973409000065/f13ukhold-093009.txt

WAL MART STORES INC 13604240 SH Defined 3 9120396 0 4483844

WAL MART STORES INC 55435104 SH Defined 6 42549988 0 12885116

WAL MART STORES INC 15927295 SH Defined 7 15927295 0 0

WAL MART STORES INC 14497 SH Defined 13 14475 0 22

WAL MART STORES INC 1442444 SH Defined 15 1442444 0 0

WAL MART STORES INC 4792829 SH Defined 18 4792829 0 0

WAL MART STORES INC 180126 SH Defined 22 180126 0 0

Wal-Mart's per-capita footprint is biggest in three of Patchwork Nation's least wealthy county types - the socially conservative Evangelical Epicenters (2.5 stores for every 100,000 people), Latino-heavy Immigration Nation (2.1 stores for every 100,000) and small town Service Worker Centers (1.9 stores for every 100,000).

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/12/the-holiday-economic-divide-walmart-vs-sachs.html

• 5 weeks later...

The overwhelming weight of the independent research on the impact of Wal-Mart stores on local and national economies – including jobs, taxes, wages, benefits, manufacturing and existing retail businesses – shows that Wal-Mart depresses area wages and labor benefits contributing to the current decline of good middle class jobs, pushes out more retail jobs than it creates, and results in more retail vacancies.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like China is starting to crackdown on Walmart deceptive price gouging. I wonder if local governments will start looking at what they are doing here in the States.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/26/news/international/walmart_china_fines/

China has accused Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, and its French competitor Carrefour of price gouging and misleading consumers by advertising false discounts on goods sold in their stores.

The National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), the Chinese agency that coordinates economic and social development, made those charges in a statement posted on its website on Wednesday.