Washington DC Message Boards

Federal Reserve Says Unemployment High Until 2015

Guest Randel is not happy

Guest Widow's Son

For the last decade China and India have been coming out with real good business concepts and products. These foreign intellectuals you are talking about are already getting investment from American and European banks. Soon Americans will be completely selling services to these foreign companies. That will be the sign that the wealth of the middle class has changed hands.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration project. It has been expanded and modified several times since then. For instance, beginning in 1994, the CPS estimates reflect the results of a major redesign of the survey.

Hires Rate

The hires rate was unchanged in December, remaining at 3.1 percent for the fifth consecutive month. The rate hovered between 3.0 percent and 3.2 percent since February 2009. After falling from the most recent peak of 5.6 million hires in July 2006, the hires level reached a low

point in June 2009 of 3.9 million. In December 2009, the hires level was 4.1 million. The hires rate decreased in professional and business services and was essentially unchanged for all four regions.

Separations

Total separations includes quits (voluntary separations), layoffs and discharges (involuntary separations), and other separations (including retirements). The total separations, or turnover, rate was little changed in December and remained low at 3.2 percent. The total

separations rate (not seasonally adjusted) decreased over the 12 months ending in December for total nonfarm and total private while the rate for government was little changed.

Net Change in Employment

Over the 12 months ending in December, hires totaled 49.4 million and separations totaled 53.6 million, yielding a net employment loss of 4.2 million.

Princeton University economist Alan S. Blinder estimates that 22% to 29% of all current U.S. jobs will be offshorable within two decades. The days when blue collar workers could live the American Dream are gone and they are not going to come back.

Only if you believe it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Princeton University economist Alan S. Blinder estimates that 22% to 29% of all current U.S. jobs will be offshorable within two decades. The days when blue collar workers could live the American Dream are gone and they are not going to come back.

Guest Human 2

I have a GREAT RESPECT for the homeless because they can live through conditions that would Kill the rest of us. They make us look like puppies by comparison.

Some of the best intellectual arguments that I have had, have been with the homeless.

Just because they have some physiological problems that need to be addressed does not mean that they are not highly intelligent.

Remember, you are reading this post in a nice warm room, and they are out there right now in this cold, and snow. No matter what you may think of the homeless? Respect what they can live through.

The reality is that once Americans lose their jobs they are increasingly finding it difficult to find new ones.

So true... I was laid off from a nonprofit in the face of the economy. 1 year, more than 400+ resumes later, I still don't have a job.

Guest William

That is good info. Its funny no one talks about the unemployment in the African-American community. They say its 17%, but I think it is much higher. My neighbors ask me if I odd jobs for them to do. I tell them I am trying to get by with my pension. I pray that we can get something going soon or I fear there will be riots like the time when Dr. King died.

In my community the African American community is fully up to date courtesy of me "A Republican". In my community the African American community is Not hurting at all.

The only thing that I have asked for in my community as a whole "All groups included"? is to use the information that I have given them WISELY, and that's it. Nothing more, nothing else.

African American churches, trust me. I have covered it all in my community.

I didn't do it to be nice. I did it because my community is QUIET. THAT'S THE REASON.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is good info. Its funny no one talks about the unemployment in the African-American community. They say its 17%, but I think it is much higher. My neighbors ask me if I odd jobs for them to do. I tell them I am trying to get by with my pension. I pray that we can get something going soon or I fear there will be riots like the time when Dr. King died.

Guest William

They did in Augusta Georgia. I was there during President Bush's tenure. People are tired of the race card being used. Don't get me wrong now. I am proud that Barack Obama is our President. I know he should not scold all those people and expect to get something in return. But, that is his way and I wish people would stop all the name calling. We are all Americans. You should put that information up for everybody. I just wait my turn at the library. The internet is a blessed gift.

At least you know that such a directory exists, and that the top African American Leadership in having it, and has not shared with the rest says a great deal about human nature.

They did in Augusta Georgia. I was there during President Bush's tenure. People are tired of the race card being used. Don't get me wrong now. I am proud that Barack Obama is our President. I know he should not scold all those people and expect to get something in return. But, that is his way and I wish people would stop all the name calling. We are all Americans. You should put that information up for everybody. I just wait my turn at the library. The internet is a blessed gift.

Here is what the "America Recruits Act" will do:

* Loans of up to $10,000 per job would be awarded to state, local or regional economic development agencies for use in their overall incentive package. These agencies would be required to provide at least a 25% match.

* Loans would be interest-free, and would be disbursed in two, $5,000 per-job-per-year installments to the employer.

* If the firm lives up to its promise to “onshore” eligible jobs, its initial installment will be forgiven after the first year. It also would become eligible for the second loan installment of $5,000.

* If the firm retains the onshored eligible jobs for the entire second year of the loan, the second installment will be forgiven at the end of the second year.

* If a loan recipient fails to honor its commitments, it must repay the first installment and would not be eligible to receive the second. If it fails to make the second certification, it must repay both installments.

* Loans could not be used to move a job from one state to another. They are designed to provide an incentive to locate jobs in America that potentially or currently are located overseas.

* The estimated $40 million cost of the program would be more than offset by the economic activity generated by these new jobs. For instance, a job paying $50,000 per year typically results in almost $6,000 in annual federal and state sales and income tax payments.

* In addition, economic development models show that each new high-end manufacturing and IT job typically “spins-off” other economic activity, including the creation of between four and five additional new jobs. A formula used by the U.S. Commerce Department shows Sen. Warner's proposal could result in the creation of nearly 24,000 direct and indirect jobs.

Guest Alternet

We now have a record high six people for every one job opening, companies have been able to further increase the workload on their remaining employees. They have been able to increase the amount of hours Americans are working, reduce wages and drastically cut back on benefits. Even though Americans were already the most productive workers in the world before the economic crisis, in the third quarter of 2009, average worker productivity increased by an annualized rate of 9.5 percent, at the same time unit labor cost decreased by 5.2 percent. This has led to record profits for many companies. Of the 220 companies in the S&P 500 who have reported fourth-quarter results thus far, 78 percent of them had "better-than-expected profits" with earnings 17 percent above expectations, "the highest for any quarter since Thomson Reuters began tracking data."

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national median wage was only $32,390 per year in 2008, and median household income fell by 3.6 percent while the unemployment rate was 5.8 percent. With the unemployment rate now at 10 percent, median income has been falling at a 5 percent rate and is expected to continue its decline. Not surprisingly, Americans' job satisfaction level is now at an all-time low.

There are also a growing number of employed people who, despite having a job, are still living in poverty. There are at least 15 million workers who now fall into this rapidly growing category. $32,390 a year is not going to get you far in today's economy, and half of the country is making less than that. This is why many Americans are now forced to work two jobs to provide for their family to hopefully make ends meet.

Use the internet to your advantage "Remember! It's a tool". There is ALOT of information online that you CAN apply offline.

There ARE alot of links that I don't post in here, because they would be misused in a heartbeat.

Middleclass loose jobs and have nowhere to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46r4yxttThw

You see the cold hard reality is? That there ARE other Governments watching this web site, as well as people involved in politics.

There are certain trends on the net that have been developing that is not healthy for U.S. Businesses, and thus not healthy for us.

That's why folks have been developing private networks.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.