Washington DC Message Boards

Colin Powell might endorse Obama this Sunday

Luke_Wilbur

MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell is reporting that Colin Powell will be on Meet the Press Sunday to possibly endorse Barack Obama on Meet the Press.

For 60 years, "Meet the Press" has featured headline-making interviews with world-leaders and U.S. newsmakers every Sunday morning on NBC.

Former Secretary Powell was a professional soldier for 35 years, during which time he held myriad command and staff positions and rose to the rank of 4-star General. His last assignment, from October 1, 1989 to September 30, 1993, was as the 12th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest military position in the Department of Defense. During this time, he oversaw 28 crises, including Operation Desert Storm in the victorious 1991 Persian Gulf war.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uui...8A3A7BE4000142C

Retired Gen. Colin Powell, once considered a potential running mate for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), now may endorse his opponent, Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), according to Republican sources. But an air of mystery surrounds Powell's planned live appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," and no one is sure what he will say.

Powell's unassailable national security credentials could sway voters who are vacillating about whether Obama is ready to be commander in chief, and his endorsement of the Illinois senator would make a national security emphasis by McCain in the election's closing days extremely difficult.

Powell, 71, a professional soldier for 35 years, has advised the last three Republican presidents.

The general's camp is being coy about what he might or might not say on Sunday. But some McCain advisers suspect, without being sure, that Powell will endorse Obama.

"It's going to make a lot of news, and certainly be personally embarrassing for McCain," a McCain official said. "It comes at a time when we need momentum, and it would create momentum against us."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/

Exclusive! Colin Powell

Exclusive! Former Secretary of State Gen. Colin Powell (Ret.) who has been courted by both Obama and McCain will break his recent silence and share his views on a variety of important issues in a live interview Sunday. Then, we will look at the 2008 battleground and new state polls with NBC's political director Chuck Todd. Plus, insights & analysis on Decision 2008 with David Brooks, Jon Meacham, Andrea Mitchell

Send Meet the Press your question

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6872152/

Here is information on how you can watch the show.

Washington, DC

WRC-TV, 10:30 AM

WTWP-AM-Radio, 7:00 PM

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

Guest BlingBling_*

Was that not a great moment to see that the "Lion" of the Republican party endorse Obama. Guess that throws the claim that Obama has no experience out the window.

I also loved when Christopher Buckley, the son of William Buckley, one of the intellectual founders of modern conservatism, defected from the McCain campaign. This was a particularly embarrassing blow for National Review readsers and Republicans as well.

Guest Rich First

Did any catch McCain and Palin on NBC’s “Nightly News” talk about the Colin Powell effect.

Oct. 22, 2008

SPEAKERS:

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN, R-ARIZ.

GOV. SARAH PALIN, R-ALASKA

BRIAN WILLIAMS, NBC NEWS ANCHOR

WILLIAMS: Let me ask you both about what must have been a hurtful Sunday for you, especially you, Senator McCain, Colin Powell’s endorsement of Barack Obama . And, Governor, respectfully, the heart of his quote, about Governor Palin, Senator McCain, “I don’t believe she’s ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of vice president. And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Senator McCain made.”

When you heard those words from a man you’ve known for a long time, what was your reaction, saying basically, we have little to judge these future leaders on, except for the big decision of picking a running mate?

MCCAIN: Well, it’s -- I know that if General Powell had wanted to meet Governor Palin, we could have arranged that easily, number one.

But number two is, then obviously, General Powell does not know Governor Palin’s record. Reform, Governor, 24,000 employees, I believe, of the state of Alaska, negotiated a $40 billion natural gas pipeline by taking on the oil and gas interests, took on the governor of her own party, who is an incumbent, stood up against corruption, cut taxes, gave her constituents money back, shares my worldview, has frankly, in all due respect, a son who’s got his life on the line right now in defense of freedom.

And that’s not qualified? Tell me, what is qualified? I am overjoyed to have a person who’s a real reformer. What Americans want right now more than anything else, they want us to reform the way we do business in Washington, and they want our economy put back on track.

Here’s a proven record. And so, all I can say is, I see all these attacks on Governor Palin. I don’t live in a bubble. But those people obviously are either not paying attention to, or don’t care about, the record of the most popular governor in the United States of America.

PALIN: And, look, let me interrupt for a second here too. I’m not going to toot my own horn. But I do I have more executive experience than Barack Obama even has, dealing with multibillion- dollar budgets and thousands of employees in positions as mayor, as manager, as a regulator of oil and gas, and then as governor.

But let’s not forget also, in this context of one endorsement, Senator -- or Colin Powell’s, that you have received the endorsement of at least four former secretaries of state and hundreds...

MCCAIN: Five secretaries...

PALIN: Five.

MCCAIN: ... former secretaries of state.

PALIN: And hundreds of retired top U.S. brass and U.S. military brass that see also in John McCain the ability to win the wars and to keep our nation safe. And, of course, those who are in more economic minded also, who are endorsing John McCain because they know too that he will get our economy back on track. He will reduce taxes on our small businesses and on our families, so that we can keep more of what we produce and earn so that we can hire more people as business owners.

That’s how jobs are created. That’s how the economy gets rolling. And he’s got that in him. He’s got that in his plan, and that’s recognized. So I’m appreciative of all the endorsements that you have received. MCCAIN: Henry Kissinger, George Shultz, Jim Baker, Larry Eagleburger, and Al Hague, all of those have been strong supporters of mine, plus 200 or more retired generals and admirals. I am more proud of that.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.