Washington DC Message Boards

ITS OBAMA'S ELECTION TO LOSE

Psycho

ITS OBAMA'S ELECTION TO LOSE

capt_0db4f5f14b10412dbf558add25c8d1d8_obama_2008_dcsw101.jpg

Barack Obama has some urgent making up to do among a lot of angry white women — lifetime Democrats who spurned him for Hillary Rodham Clinton in the primaries and now are threatening to stay home or even vote for Republican John McCain in November.

Amid all the talk about a first black president, many women are deeply disappointed, in some cases furious, that Clinton's own historic campaign fell short and that Obama's campaign undercut her along the way. Her loss was painful for women who have encountered sex discrimination themselves, especially older women who saw her as the best hope for electing a female president in their lifetimes.

Obama needs to make up not just to white women but Jews, Hispanics and blue collar workers or this election will be his to lose.

Guest Craig

I think Obama will overcome this with voters. The reason is that John McCain has admitted that he has no clue about the Economy. How can we have a President that has no vision? I will not be voting for another Dubya.

I hate to say it but I agree with Slick Willy. I will not vote for Obama, but will either not vote at all or switch my vote to McCain. This is coming from a white woman over 50.

Part of my reasoning is he does not have enough experience. If he did not agree with what his minister was saying he would of left the church a long time ago. To me with him just leaving he condoned the ministers preaching, and does not support ALL the people of the United States.

I think Obama will overcome this with voters. The reason is that John McCain has admitted that he has no clue about the Economy. How can we have a President that has no vision? I will not be voting for another Dubya.

I rather have good judgement over bad experience anyday. GO OBAMA!!!!

Bling Bling then write in Luke.

I rather have good judgement over bad experience anyday. GO OBAMA!!!!

I am flattered. But, I am in no way suited for the job. I probably could not even handle being a neighborhood commissioner. It takes a rare breed of man or woman to handle that position. I am still on the fence on who I am going to vote for. I like Obama's charisma. I respect that at least one person from his side answered my question on Executive Privilege. All the other candidates campaign sites refused. Senator Clinton took my question off her web site. Ralph Nader did not even respond. I have not asked that question to Senator McCain yet, but I will. Whoever answers that question has my vote. The Executive Branch has become way too powerful. The 'Checks and Balances' of our government is fading away. And I will do my part to stop it from happenning.

I am already tired of this election season.

I may be old, and my brain is intact. As far as television it will rote your brain, try a book.

Guest Winston

I am experiencing election burnout. I think they should spend time covering what the candidates are for and let the rest be. All the news people are doing is stirring up hornets nests to get more commericals. Its too hot here. I am considering life in Canada.

Guest human_*

Nothing of substance is going to get done this election season. Everyone is too busy positioning themselves "even though the positioning part is a constant deal in D.C.".

A freshmen Senator who knows next to nothing on Legislative Affairs on the Hill, and NO experience when it comes to foreign policy.

Then there is a Senior Senator with experience on the Hill, and knows foreign policy, and on top of it all; He is a centrist. My group can call him a Conservative all they like, but it doesn't change the fact of what he is "Neither hardcore right, nor hardcore left.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am already tired of this election season.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mike G.

Yahoo news, recently posted an article on comments made by Illinois' Democratic senator Barack Obama regarding his views on separation of church and state. Surprisingly for a democrat, he feels that this wall is too high and the article highlights many rather unappetizing comments he made.

The article points out that Obama has chastized fellow democrats for failing to "acknowledge the power of faith in the lives of the American people". I feel that this is an incorrect statement. I have no doubt that democrats are well aware of how effectively the faith card can be played to garner votes. I feel that many democrats just feel that there are more important things to our country than a belief in a higher power and that they should not have to bow to such ridiculous interests.

His next comment is one I personally agree with:

Not every mention of God in public is a breach to the wall of separation. Context matters

As I mentioned, I agree strongly with this statement. The first ammendment guarantees religious freedoms which include the expression of such religions. However, there are times when expressing such things is appropriate, and times when it is not.

When someone is expressing their own convictions, there is no problem with it. But when they are acting as a representative for our country, expressing such convictions are out of place. They do not represent only those that share their faith, but must also represent the rapidly growing portion of the population that expresses no religious affiliation.

He claims that "ecularists are wrong when they ask believers to leave their religion at the door before entering the public square." Yet no justification is given as to why our tax dollars should go to politicians who use their office to pronounce, promote, and prosetlyze their faith. Especially given that our constitution forbids such actions.

Obama goes on to claim:

It is doubtful that children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance feel oppressed or brainwashed as a consequence of muttering the phrase 'under God'

I really wonder if Obama has bothered garnering an opinion from secularists before venturing to make such a statement. I will gladly speak for myself and say that I did feel oppressed when forced to pledge to a nation under a God I did not believe in. As such, I refused to recite the words, and was ostracized as a result. Many other members of SOMA and other atheistic groups have shared similar stories.

Some would say that Obama is a demonstration that faith and the democratic party are not inseperable. I, however, would conclude that he merely demonstrats that when your opponent in the election is caught in a scandal just before the election, anyone can get elected.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.