Washington DC Message Boards

John Edwards backs Obama

Guest LAW_*

Guest LAW_*

Democratic front-runner Barack Obama scored a coup in his White House nominating battle against Hillary Clinton by winning the high-profile endorsement of blue-collar champion John Edwards.

Edwards, the party's 2004 vice presidential nominee, formally backed the Illinois senator Wednesday at an exuberant Michigan rally, reinforcing signs of the Democratic establishment closing ranks behind Obama.

The announcement punctured Clinton's short-lived boost after her landslide win in Tuesday's West Virginia primary. Clinton added 20 delegates and Sen. Barack Obama won eight. The net gain of 12 delegates was negated by Edwards passing his 19 pledged delegates to Mr Obama, helping extend his lead over the former first lady, who has so far resisted demands to give up the race for the good of the Democratic party.

Edwards backing could aid Obama's efforts to win the support of the white working-class voters who have migrated to Clinton in recent contests.

Appearing with Obama in Michigan, Edwards appealed to the party to "come together as Democrats" to defeat John McCain, the likely Republican candidate.

"We are here tonight because the Democratic voters have made their choice, and so have I," he said, adding that Obama "stands with me" in a fight to halve

Edwards hailed Clinton as a woman "made of steel" who had strengthened the Democratic Party and the eventual presidential nominee by fighting so doggedly for issues dear to her heart.

But the former North Carolina senator said: "The Democratic voters of America have made their choice and so have I.

"There is one man who knows and understands this is the time for leadership. There is one man that knows how to create the change, the lasting change you have to build from the ground up.

"There's one man who knows in his heart, it's time to create one America, not two. That man is Barack Obama."

Guest Obama for America

I'm deeply honored by John's support. He is a true leader who dedicated his career to improving the lives of ordinary Americans.

John ran a strong, principled campaign for president, focusing on a number of important issues where we share common ground -- universal health care, bringing our troops home from Iraq, and eliminating poverty in America.

The way he ran his campaign was also important. He ran in a way that reflected our shared conviction that we need to fundamentally change politics.

Like our campaign, John's campaign never accepted donations from Washington lobbyists or special interest PACs.

Let's welcome John Edwards to the campaign with an outpouring of the kind of grassroots support that is bringing our political process back to the people.

Thank you for all that you're doing,

Barack

Now how are you going to do that Barack? When I was the one who got you, and a few other African Americans to throw 19 to 23% of your own group to the streets "For the Latino Vote"? Honey

Explain that away. Remember! It's what's on paper that counts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm deeply honored by John's support. He is a true leader who dedicated his career to improving the lives of ordinary Americans.

John ran a strong, principled campaign for president, focusing on a number of important issues where we share common ground -- universal health care, bringing our troops home from Iraq, and eliminating poverty in America.

The way he ran his campaign was also important. He ran in a way that reflected our shared conviction that we need to fundamentally change politics.

Like our campaign, John's campaign never accepted donations from Washington lobbyists or special interest PACs.

Let's welcome John Edwards to the campaign with an outpouring of the kind of grassroots support that is bringing our political process back to the people.

Thank you for all that you're doing,

Barack

Edited by Human

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.