Washington DC Message Boards

District Seasonal Grass Cutting Rules

Guest DC Government Worker

Guest DC Government Worker

The DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) will begin enforcing “seasonal grass cutting rules” on May 1 and is encouraging all property owners to keep their lawn trimmed.

The growing season runs from May 1 through October 31 every year. DCRA inspectors will be on the lookout for overgrown grass and weeds.

Grass and weeds that are more than 10 inches tall could lead to fines and other costs. During growing season, all property owners are required to maintain their premises in a healthy and sanitary manner free of trash and excessive vegetative growth.

During the 2007 growing season, DCRA issued more than 1,400 violations, cut the grass at 446 properties, and placed liens on the homes of hundreds of District residents who failed to keep their lawns mowed and their property free of weeds.

Grass pollen is a common trigger for asthma and allergies. Keeping grass cut is part of an overall preventative strategy to control respiratory illness. Excessive growth can harbor rats and other vermin leading to serious public health implications.

DCRA regulates all types of excessive vegetative growth including: kudzu, poison ivy, plants with obnoxious odors, weeds, grasses causing hay fever, and any weed growth that creates a breeding place for mosquitoes. Regulations require that these weeds are not in place more than seven days.

Weeds may be defined as, but are not limited to, poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac and all vegetation at any state of maturity that:

Exceeds more than 10 inches tall, is untended, or creates a dense area of shrubbery that is a detriment to the health, safety and welfare of the public;

Creates a harbor (including hiding places for persons), or a provides a place to conceal refuse or trash, regardless of height;

Develops into deposits, or accumulation of, refuse or trash;

Harbors rodents and vermin or provides a refuge for snakes, rats or other rodents;

Creates an unpleasant or noxious odor;

Constitutes a fire hazard; or

Contains grass or weeds that are dead and diseased.

Failure to comply with a Notice of Violation during the growing season may result in DCRA cleaning the property and billing the owner for cost of the cleanup. Report suspected violations to DCRA at (202) 442-4400.

Seasonal grass cutting rules are from Section 800.10 of the DCMR14.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Luke

I just set up an appointment with

Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs

941 North Capitol Street, NE

Washington, DC 20002

Telephone (202) 442-4400

Hours:

8:30 am - 4:30 pm - M,T,W,F

9:30 am - 4:30 pm - T

The appointment is at 1:00 pm

The inspecter is Devin Hunter 202-439-4401

When you call for an inspection use the following

Telephone (202) 442-4400

Press 1

Press 2

Press 2

7:30 am through 3:30 pm

No one answered at DCRA at 12:00 noon. It appears the are out to lunch. Left message.

Today I left Gloria Shelby a message about the problem. Gloria is the representative for Ward 5.

Her number is 202-481-3534

Her voice mail said for immediate service to call Mrs. Jenkins at 2024813526

Ok. I talked with Mrs. Jenkins and told me to contact

Kim Queen of the Vacant Properties department at 202.442-4332

I spoke with Kim Queen and she promised to send me an email of the status of the property.

• 1 month later...
Guest Neighbor

I spoke with Kim Queen and she promised to send me an email of the status of the property.

I contacted Alan Smith and told him nothing has been done. He said he was going to talk with Kim Queen about the property to see its status.

Guest Neighbor

I contacted Alan Smith and told him nothing has been done. He said he was going to talk with Kim Queen about the property to see its status. Thanks for doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I spoke with Angela about the status of the vacant property on 21 street NE. She told me the woman who Devin Hunter gave the photos to is no longer working. Angela told me that she gave notice on July 22 to the owner and that the District is required to give 15 days notice to resolve the issue. 15 days has passed and nothing has been done. Angela is going to have her supervisor Pamela Payne call me about the problem.

Today I spoke with Angela about the status of the vacant property on 21 street NE. She told me the woman who Devin Hunter gave the photos to is no longer working. Angela told me that she gave notice on July 22 to the owner and that the District is required to give 15 days notice to resolve the issue. 15 days has passed and nothing has been done. Angela is going to have her supervisor Pamela Payne call me about the problem.

I spoke with Angela again today and she apoligized for not getting back with me and told me that she has spoken to the owner of the vacant property on 21 T Street. She also said that the Deputy Director is now involved in resolving the problem. When I asked what the name of the Deputy Director Angela would not give the name. She stated that her manager Pamala Payne is now taking handling this case. Hopefully, something will be resolved soon. It has been three months to get the District to do anything about this problem to our neighborhood.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.