Washington DC Message Boards

Saudi Arabia-NUCLEAR ARMS RACE

Human

To the Democrats; HOW does it feel to OPEN UP PANDORAS BOX?

I told all of you who have read my posts in here that the democrats quest for having power back "No matter what" had consequences.

The Middle East, and Latin America ARE incredibly dangerous because of your "democrats"actions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also this link; CIA chief says he thinks Iran is pursuing nuclear bomb

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stor...FF?OpenDocument

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5imG-Gmy...ThgngAD8VQ0MTG0

Report: New Nuclear Arms Race Possible

By BARRY SCHWEID – 3 days ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Saudi Arabia most likely would develop nuclear weapons if Iran acquires them, according to a report to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

High-level American diplomats in Riyadh with excellent access to Saudi decision-makers said an Iranian nuclear weapon frightens the Saudis "to their core" and would compel the Saudis to seek nuclear weapons, the report said. The American diplomats were not identified.

Turkey also would come under pressure to follow suit if Iran builds nuclear weapons in the next decade, said the report prepared by a committee staff member after interviewing hundreds of individuals in Washington and the Middle East last July through December.

While Turkey and Iran do not see themselves as adversaries, Turkey believes a power balance between them is the primary reason for a peaceful relationship, the report said.

Egypt most likely would choose not to respond by pursuing its own nuclear weapons program, said the report prepared in late February and obtained Wednesday. The impact on relations with Israel and the United States were cited as the primary reasons.

A U.S. intelligence estimate late last year said Iran worked on nuclear weapons programs until 2003 before abandoning them. However, the intelligence analysts also reported Iran was continuing to enrich uranium, a key weapons component, and possessed the capacity to produce nuclear weapons if it decided to do so.

Sen. Richard G. Lugar, R-Ind., the senior Republican on the committee, directed staff member Bradley Bowman to conduct the study.

Among its conclusions, the report said demands for nuclear energy and for matching Iran's nuclear progress virtually guarantees that three or four Middle Eastern countries will generate nuclear power by 2025.

And this, in turn, will reduce the obstacles to acquiring nuclear weapons, the report said.

The spread of nuclear weapons in the Middle East could reduce regional security and endanger U.S. interests, the report said.

In the next two or three years, the United States must take steps to restore Arab and Turkish confidence in U.S. security guarantees, the report concluded.

Otherwise, it said, "the future Middle East landscape may include a number of nuclear-armed or nuclear weapons-capable states vying for influence in a notoriously unstable region."

(This version CORRECTS reference in the third graf to Iran, not Iraq.)

Guest Human_*

The reason I posted this is simple; I don't want the democrats to EVER forget what they have done.

The democrats have made, and not just the Middle East in away more dangerous than my group"

The Republicans" could have EVER made it, but also Latin America.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya know in the political world that I swim in? I'm actually very lucky cause what keeps me from letting the TRAP of washington d.c. "Power" " get to me is the associated problems of being in a wheelchair "That's what keeps me in check".

But to the democrats, I have seen you swim in my world and you flounder ALOT.

Guest LAW_*

This is very serious. Saudi newspaper Okaz has reported that the Kingdom is getting ready for nuclear fallout from a U.S. strike. 'The latest military intelligence data point to heightened US military preparations for both an air and ground operation against Iran.' The Saudi Shura Council is preparing “national plans to deal with any sudden nuclear and radioactive hazards that may affect the kingdom following experts’ warnings of possible attacks on Iran’s Bushehr nuclear reactors.”

Starting on Sunday April 6, 2008 the Israelis will conduct the largest-ever nationwide, week-long defensive war drill simulating ballistic missile strikes on Israel from Iran and Syria. The US has recently positioned an array of Aegis destroyers, which excel in ballistic missile defense, close to its Persian Gulf allies and Israel, ready to intercept Iranian and Syrian missiles.

It must be noted here that the US, if it does strike Iran and Syria, will almost assuredly use nuclear-tipped bunker busters to ensure the destruction of key targets buried deep underground, including nuclear assets, command and control, and the hiding places of the members of the Iranian and Syrian regimes.

President Bush initiated a program to fill completely America's Strategic Petroleum Reserve with the stipulation that it must be completed by the start of April, 2008. It is now completely filled.

Russian Colonel General Leonid Ivashov said “that the Pentagon is planning to deliver a massive air strike on Iran’s military infrastructure in the near future.”

Guest Human_*

With the democrats holding the house, and senate "Don't bank on it", and where are you getting your "Information" from?

Here is one that's more realistic; Chinese Espionage cases with in the united states up this year to 536.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very serious. Saudi newspaper Okaz has reported that the Kingdom is getting ready for nuclear fallout from a U.S. strike. 'The latest military intelligence data point to heightened US military preparations for both an air and ground operation against Iran.' The Saudi Shura Council is preparing “national plans to deal with any sudden nuclear and radioactive hazards that may affect the kingdom following experts’ warnings of possible attacks on Iran’s Bushehr nuclear reactors.”

Starting on Sunday April 6, 2008 the Israelis will conduct the largest-ever nationwide, week-long defensive war drill simulating ballistic missile strikes on Israel from Iran and Syria. The US has recently positioned an array of Aegis destroyers, which excel in ballistic missile defense, close to its Persian Gulf allies and Israel, ready to intercept Iranian and Syrian missiles.

It must be noted here that the US, if it does strike Iran and Syria, will almost assuredly use nuclear-tipped bunker busters to ensure the destruction of key targets buried deep underground, including nuclear assets, command and control, and the hiding places of the members of the Iranian and Syrian regimes.

President Bush initiated a program to fill completely America's Strategic Petroleum Reserve with the stipulation that it must be completed by the start of April, 2008. It is now completely filled.

Russian Colonel General Leonid Ivashov said “that the Pentagon is planning to deliver a massive air strike on Iran’s military infrastructure in the near future.”

Guest LAW_*

I cannot give away all my sources. But you can run a search to verify them. Below comes from a release. The Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force will mark the day of Iranian army with an air parade on Thursday, Deputy Air Force Chief Mohammad Alavi said on Monday. He stated that 140 aircraft will participate in the show including MiG-29, Sukhoi, F4, F5, F7 and F14 fighters, interceptors, aerial refueling aircraft, and passenger jet airliners Boeing 707 and 747.

The show will be the biggest military air parade in Iran’s history which exemplifies the power of Iranian armed forces to defend their homeland, Alavi added.

He noted that the Islamic Republic army intends to increase its military power as part of efforts to maintain security in the region.

Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar derided U.S. defense secretary’s statement about Iran’s role in Iraq, saying Tehran has always been seeking to help establish peace and security in Iraq and support its elected government.

“If the Islamic Republic’s role in Iraq is evil, then why does the United States repeatedly request to hold talks with Iran (on Iraq)?” Najjar said in response to Robert Gates who on Friday accused Iran of playing a negative role in Iraq.

"Gates... should better announce a timetable for withdrawing their occupation and plundering forces from Iraq,” he noted.

Iran is among the few regional countries that have established “good and high-level relations” with Iraq and the U.S. is trying to harm this strong relationship, he insisted.

In order to justify the massacre of the Iraqi people and its “costly and damaging presence” in the country the White House is trying to create an “imaginary enemy and make Iraq insecure,” he said.

Tension and conflict is not to the interest of any of Iraq’s neighbors and only the U.S. and its allies benefit from the violence and insecurity in the country, he stated.

I will have more on Isreal later. I just have to confirm they can be released.

Guest Bishara

The colonial character of the Jewish democracy that exists in Israel is very evident. Arabs in Israel are second class citizens, they vote as a minority and so on. People generally confuse us as a minority that exists in the West. The minorities say Algerians in France or Turks in Germany face issues such as integration, right to vote, equal benefits and so on. But in the case of Arabs in Israel, we didn’t immigrate to Israel. They came to us? And what democratic state of Israel? Is it a liberal democratic state – because Orthodox Jews can never be liberals, or is going to be some other form of democracy? Some of the members in Knesset accused me of shouting and exploiting the right to free speech, when I was in the parliament. But all I used to say was, you give me a free Palestine and keep your freedom of speech.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest andrea802

It is so very sad, and angering, that the U.S. would support any nuclear program. And for the U.S. to demand a halt to other countries nuclear programs while allowing Israel to continue to have them is just rediculous!

Guest human_*

The new Nuclear Arms Race brought to you by the DEMOCRATS. Like I said; The democrats made the case for nuclear power in the MIDDLE EAST, and beyond. <~~~~~ This IS the legacy that the democrats are leaving future generations, and just to make this administration look bad.

If I were you democrats? I would not be jumping up, and down in joy.

What the democrats HAVE started CAN NOT BE STOPPED.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...51_nukes12.html

Nuclear-reactor plans fuel fears

By Warrick

The Washington Post

VIENNA, Austria — At least 40 developing countries from the Persian Gulf region to Latin America have recently approached U.N. officials to signal interest in starting nuclear-power programs, a trend that concerned proliferation experts say could provide the building blocks of nuclear arsenals in some of those nations.

At least half a dozen countries also have said in the past four years that they are specifically planning to conduct enrichment or reprocessing of nuclear fuel, a prospect that could dramatically expand the global supply of plutonium and enriched uranium, according to U.S. and international nuclear officials and arms-control experts.

Much of the new interest is driven by economic considerations, particularly the soaring cost of fossil fuels. But for some Middle Eastern states with ready access to huge stocks of oil or natural gas, such as Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the investment in nuclear power appears to be linked partly to concerns about a future regional arms race stoked in part by Iran's alleged interest in such an arsenal, the officials said.

"We are concerned that some countries are moving down the nuclear [weapons] path in reaction to the Iranians," said a senior U.S. government official who tracks the spread of nuclear technology. He declined to speak on the record because of diplomatic sensitivities.

"The big question is: At what point do you reach the nuclear tipping point, when enough countries go nuclear that others decide they must do so, too?"

Although the UAE has a proven oil reserve of 100 billion barrels, the world's sixth-largest, in January it signed a deal with a French company to build two nuclear reactors. Wealthy neighbors Kuwait and Bahrain also plan nuclear plants, as are Libya, Algeria and Morocco in North Africa and the kingdom of Jordan.

Even Yemen, one of the poorest countries in the Arab world, last year announced plans to purchase a nuclear reactor, which it says is needed to produce electricity; it is one of 11 Middle Eastern states now engaged in starting or expanding nuclear-power programs.

Meanwhile, two of Iran's biggest rivals in the region, Turkey and Egypt, are moving forward with ambitious nuclear projects. Both countries abandoned any pursuit of nuclear power decades ago but are now on course to develop seven nuclear power plants — four in Egypt and three in Turkey — over the next decade.

Egypt's ambassador to the United States, Nabil Fahmy, told a recent gathering of Middle Eastern and nonproliferation experts that his country's decision was unrelated to Iran's nuclear activities.

But he acknowledged that commercial nuclear power "does give you technology and knowledge," and he warned that a nuclear arms race may be inevitable unless the region's leaders agree to ban such weapons.

"We continue to take the high road, but there isn't much oxygen there, and it is very lonely," Fahmy told the gathering. He added a prediction: "Without a comprehensive nuclear accord, you will have a proliferation problem in the Middle East, and it will be even worse in 10 years than it is today."

Many countries involved in nuclear expansion have stressed their peaceful intentions. Some, such as the UAE and Bahrain, publicly vowed never to pursue uranium enrichment or fuel reprocessing — technologies that can create fissile materials for nuclear weapons. But some arms-control experts say the sudden interest cannot be fully explained by rising oil prices.

"This is not primarily about nuclear energy. It's a hedge against Iran," said Ploughshares Fund President Joseph Cirincione, an expert on nuclear policy and author of "Bomb Scare: The History and Future of Nuclear Weapons."

"They're starting their engines. It takes decades to build a nuclear infrastructure, and they're beginning to do it now. They're saying, 'If there's going to be an arms race, we're going to be in it.' "

Guest human_*

The new Nuclear Arms Race brought to you by the DEMOCRATS. Like I said; The democrats made the case for nuclear power in the MIDDLE EAST, and beyond. <~~~~~ This IS the legacy that the democrats are leaving future generations, and just to make this administration look bad.

If I were you democrats? I would not be jumping up, and down in joy.

What the democrats HAVE started CAN NOT BE STOPPED.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...51_nukes12.html

Nuclear-reactor plans fuel fears

By Warrick

The Washington Post

VIENNA, Austria — At least 40 developing countries from the Persian Gulf region to Latin America have recently approached U.N. officials to signal interest in starting nuclear-power programs, a trend that concerned proliferation experts say could provide the building blocks of nuclear arsenals in some of those nations.

At least half a dozen countries also have said in the past four years that they are specifically planning to conduct enrichment or reprocessing of nuclear fuel, a prospect that could dramatically expand the global supply of plutonium and enriched uranium, according to U.S. and international nuclear officials and arms-control experts.

Much of the new interest is driven by economic considerations, particularly the soaring cost of fossil fuels. But for some Middle Eastern states with ready access to huge stocks of oil or natural gas, such as Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the investment in nuclear power appears to be linked partly to concerns about a future regional arms race stoked in part by Iran's alleged interest in such an arsenal, the officials said.

"We are concerned that some countries are moving down the nuclear [weapons] path in reaction to the Iranians," said a senior U.S. government official who tracks the spread of nuclear technology. He declined to speak on the record because of diplomatic sensitivities.

"The big question is: At what point do you reach the nuclear tipping point, when enough countries go nuclear that others decide they must do so, too?"

Although the UAE has a proven oil reserve of 100 billion barrels, the world's sixth-largest, in January it signed a deal with a French company to build two nuclear reactors. Wealthy neighbors Kuwait and Bahrain also plan nuclear plants, as are Libya, Algeria and Morocco in North Africa and the kingdom of Jordan.

Even Yemen, one of the poorest countries in the Arab world, last year announced plans to purchase a nuclear reactor, which it says is needed to produce electricity; it is one of 11 Middle Eastern states now engaged in starting or expanding nuclear-power programs.

Meanwhile, two of Iran's biggest rivals in the region, Turkey and Egypt, are moving forward with ambitious nuclear projects. Both countries abandoned any pursuit of nuclear power decades ago but are now on course to develop seven nuclear power plants — four in Egypt and three in Turkey — over the next decade.

Egypt's ambassador to the United States, Nabil Fahmy, told a recent gathering of Middle Eastern and nonproliferation experts that his country's decision was unrelated to Iran's nuclear activities.

But he acknowledged that commercial nuclear power "does give you technology and knowledge," and he warned that a nuclear arms race may be inevitable unless the region's leaders agree to ban such weapons.

"We continue to take the high road, but there isn't much oxygen there, and it is very lonely," Fahmy told the gathering. He added a prediction: "Without a comprehensive nuclear accord, you will have a proliferation problem in the Middle East, and it will be even worse in 10 years than it is today."

Many countries involved in nuclear expansion have stressed their peaceful intentions. Some, such as the UAE and Bahrain, publicly vowed never to pursue uranium enrichment or fuel reprocessing — technologies that can create fissile materials for nuclear weapons. But some arms-control experts say the sudden interest cannot be fully explained by rising oil prices.

"This is not primarily about nuclear energy. It's a hedge against Iran," said Ploughshares Fund President Joseph Cirincione, an expert on nuclear policy and author of "Bomb Scare: The History and Future of Nuclear Weapons."

"They're starting their engines. It takes decades to build a nuclear infrastructure, and they're beginning to do it now. They're saying, 'If there's going to be an arms race, we're going to be in it.' "

• 3 weeks later...

The democrats can now add this feather in their cap as to Nuclear Proliferation with in the Middle East.

Jordon has joined the crowd.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080531/ap_on_..._france_nuclear

Fri May 30, 8:57 PM ET

AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan and France signed an agreement on Friday to help the Arab kingdom develop its nuclear energy program.

French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner and his Jordanian counterpart, Salaheddine al-Bashir, announced the deal in Amman. The agreement calls on France to help create nuclear reactors to be used for electricity production and desalination of sea water.

France will also train Jordanian nuclear scientists and help in uranium extraction, according to the agreement. Uranium is abundant in the desert country.

Jordanian Nuclear Energy Commissioner Khaled Toukan told reporters that "an executive protocol" will be signed between the two nation's within a month, to follow up Friday's agreement.

Iran's controversial nuclear program has prompted a slew of Mideast countries, including Egypt, Turkey and several Gulf Arab countries, to announce plans of their own — in part simply to blunt Tehran's rising regional influence.

Despite the declarations of peaceful intentions, there are worries the countries could be taking the first steps toward a dangerous proliferation in the volatile Mideast.

Guest Human_*

Strategic interests? Either way, we as a nation are in trouble. There is no more taking the easy way out for us as a nation "That's gone".

Latin America is going nuclear as well.

I don't know who WILL get the BOMB first though in Latin America? The four contenders ARE; Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Brazil.

To add further insult to injury, Bill Richardson and Hugo Chavez are best buddies.

WE ARE SO BLEEPED.

I do not even understand why we are allied with the French.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.