Washington DC Message Boards

Al Gore Announces 2008 Presidential Candidacy

Guest Al Gore 2008

Guest Al Gore 2008

Heeding the call from millions of Americans who have been looking for a way to convince Al Gore to join the 2008 campaign, the former vice president and the beneficiary of his Nobel Prize plans to officially announce his candidacy for the Democratic presidential nomination April 22, a source close to the Gore 2008 campaign says.

Gore will make the announcement on the National Mall in Washington DC, before traveling to his home state of Tennessee for his announcement tour, another source told CNN.

On Tuesday, the vice president picked up the endorsements of "unlikely backers," who disagree on many issues but appear together to help thwart climate change. The endorsements so far include conservative televangelist Pat Robertson and the Rev. Al Sharpton; John Kerry-supporting country rockers the Dixie Chicks and George W. Bush-endorsing country singer Toby Keith; and Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

"I have had the privilege of watching Al Gore very closely and in a very personal way as he has worked tirelessly on issues that matter to all of us," Speaker Pelosi said.

"It's just common sense that we ought to be good stewards of the environment and do everything within our power to protect this fragile planet that we all live on," Robertson said.

"He's perceived very differently now than he was eight years ago," says Frank Luntz, the Republican consultant who advised George W. Bush to dispute global warming during the 2000 and 2004 elections. "He's an icon. Imagine that: Al Gore, Mr. Straight and Narrow, Mr. Dull on Wheels -- now he's culturally cool."

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/200...;cd=4&gl=us

http://www.wecansolveit.org/

This is amazing. Unlike Hillary Clinton, he has no controversial vote on Iraq to defend. Unlike Barack Obama, he has extensive experience in both the Senate and the White House. He has put aside his wooden, policy-wonk demeanor to emerge as the Bush administration's most eloquent critic. And thanks to An Inconvenient Truth, Gore is not only the most impassioned leader on the most urgent crisis facing the planet, he's also a Hollywood celebrity, the star of the third-highest-grossing documentary of all time.

http://www.algore.org/

Guest neiditch

I DON'T EVEN LIKE POLITICS. BUT I FEEL THAT IF THIS MAN REALLY BELIEVES WHAT HE SAYS , AND I DO, THAT HE WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN WITH MORE CHUTZPA AND A LOT SOONER, AS THE INSIGHTFUL LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD NOW, AND PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES NOW, DELAYED EIGHT YEARS. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. I WONDER IF MILLIONS OF LIVES WERE LITERALLY AT STAKE HERE, AS THE WORLD MEETS THIS CRISIS OF UNDERSTANDING HUMANITIES CARE OF THE ENVIRONMENT , SHOULDN'T IT BE A LOT SOONER THAN LATER? THAT COULD BE HIS CAMPAIN SLOGAN, "SHOULDN'T IT BE SOONER THAN LATER?". HOW DO I VOLUNTEER?

Guest Al Gore 2008
I DON'T EVEN LIKE POLITICS. BUT I FEEL THAT IF THIS MAN REALLY BELIEVES WHAT HE SAYS , AND I DO, THAT HE WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN WITH MORE CHUTZPA AND A LOT SOONER, AS THE INSIGHTFUL LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD NOW, AND PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES NOW, DELAYED EIGHT YEARS. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. I WONDER IF MILLIONS OF LIVES WERE LITERALLY AT STAKE HERE, AS THE WORLD MEETS THIS CRISIS OF UNDERSTANDING HUMANITIES CARE OF THE ENVIRONMENT , SHOULDN'T IT BE A LOT SOONER THAN LATER? THAT COULD BE HIS CAMPAIN SLOGAN, "SHOULDN'T IT BE SOONER THAN LATER?". HOW DO I VOLUNTEER?

The Al Gore campaign plans to use the Internet and classified ads to amass some 10 million volunteer activists.

Guest DC1974

What we need, and what I believe Gore is becoming, is someone willing to stand in the face of the status quo in order to do what is right. I won't bother diving into the massive debate about what ethics are and if there is something as concrete as a universal right and wrong, but I will say that things like torture, complete disrespect for the environment, and the deaths of young American men and women in the Middle East for an unclear cause are undeniably wrong.

Guest Patrick King

Read the story "Gore 2008" by William Drenttel.

It's difficult, perhaps impossible to imagine a fundamentally different future under a McCain or a Clinton or an Obama administration. (What it is easy to envision is an even more political minefield.) But there's something about Al Gore's commitment to the future — to saving the planet and protecting the future of our children — that's compelling no matter who you are, no matter what your race, gender, nationality or your political leanings. Is it naive to cast a vote based on the candidate who most believes in the future, everyone's future? Or is it, quite frankly, necessary?

Ok. It is April 2nd. Did anyone read the story where Hillary Clinton scheduled a 3:00 pm press conference to announce that she is conceding the Democratic nomination. Barrack Obama then scheduled a press conference for 2:58 pm so he could concede first. Clinton then raised the anty and announced that her press conference would be held at 3:00 pm Atlantic time, nearly an hour before Obama’s. Not to be outdone, the Obama campaign released a concession letter dated 12 years ago in the Senator's own handwriting. :blink:

Guest August

I do not know if Al Gore would be a good candidate. I think he does a better job on the sidelines. I also think it is rather late in the game. Where is he getting his delegates from to win the nomination?

I think Abraham Lincoln got elected in a simular way. I know that he was on the bottom of the list and was even suprised that the party nominated him. I do not know or understand politics.

Guest Jim Greenley
Heeding the call from millions of Americans who have been looking for a way to convince Al Gore to join the 2008 campaign, the former vice president and the beneficiary of his Nobel Prize plans to officially announce his candidacy for the Democratic presidential nomination April 22, a source close to the Gore 2008 campaign says.

Gore will make the announcement on the National Mall in Washington DC, before traveling to his home state of Tennessee for his announcement tour, another source told CNN.

On Tuesday, the vice president picked up the endorsements of "unlikely backers," who disagree on many issues but appear together to help thwart climate change. The endorsements so far include conservative televangelist Pat Robertson and the Rev. Al Sharpton; John Kerry-supporting country rockers the Dixie Chicks and George W. Bush-endorsing country singer Toby Keith; and Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

"I have had the privilege of watching Al Gore very closely and in a very personal way as he has worked tirelessly on issues that matter to all of us," Speaker Pelosi said.

"It's just common sense that we ought to be good stewards of the environment and do everything within our power to protect this fragile planet that we all live on," Robertson said.

"He's perceived very differently now than he was eight years ago," says Frank Luntz, the Republican consultant who advised George W. Bush to dispute global warming during the 2000 and 2004 elections. "He's an icon. Imagine that: Al Gore, Mr. Straight and Narrow, Mr. Dull on Wheels -- now he's culturally cool."

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/200...;cd=4&gl=us

http://www.wecansolveit.org/

I cannot beleive that newt gangrich and pat robertson are endorsing him. Go figure!!!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.