Washington DC Message Boards

States Do Regulate Pharmaceuticals

JRR

Contrary to what Bfrankdc says, our 50 states and 5 territorial possessions do have regulatory authority over drugs insofar as requiring additional labeling, pricing, packaging and what they will or will not allow to be sold within their state.

Also, the states can regulate the distribution and sale of pharmaceuticals.

The FDA puts forth minimal requirements but the states can add to that.

Mr. Rees,

My information came from two sources. One at the FDA, the other at the General Counsel's office at GlaxoSmithKline.

B. Frank

Contrary to what Bfrankdc says, our 50 states and 5 territorial possessions do have regulatory authority over drugs insofar as requiring additional labeling, pricing, packaging and what they will or will not allow to be sold within their state.

Also, the states can regulate the distribution and sale of pharmaceuticals.

The FDA puts forth minimal requirements but the states can add to that.

I work in the healthcare industry and have to follow both federal and state regulations on the buying of drugs, their acceptance on our part at different facilities in Delaware, DC, Maryland, Pennylvania and Virginia.

You need to do your homework as state regulations can be more burdensome than the federal ones.

Mr. Rees,

My information came from two sources. One at the FDA, the other at the General Counsel's office at GlaxoSmithKline.

B. Frank

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.