Washington DC Message Boards

Nakia

Space

Nakia, a new Dreamworks release by Tony Hajjar (Sparta/At The Drive-In fame,) is a new electronic music project. Hajjar, creator of the beast, collaborates with multiple artists, over the course of two years, and this is the result. Sounds dreadful.

As Dreamworks puts it, "It is an ethereal interpretation, mixing down tempo ambiance with drum and bass, and certainly confined by no one genre... music's equivalent to Valium " really? nah.

There is a limited edition pressing of 1000 available exclusively through www.smartpunk.com

A Short Overview of Punk Rock's Many Forms

by wrongway

Monday 24 March 2003 - 15:21:34

Punk rock can be broken up into several different sub-genres. While very different in some ways, all of these share common characteristics. This short 'guide' will help dispel the different stereotypes of certain types of music, and maybe expose you to some new music as well...

Punk Rock: The most general classification, almost all punk bands, whether they fall into this category solely, or fall into others as well, can be put into this. This label by itself should strictly be used with bands that don't fit anywhere else (ex. Bad Religion, Rancid).

Hardcore: Hardcore is a term used to describe the heaviest type of punk music. Usually the most aggressive form of punk both sonically and lyrically, many look past hardcore as nothing more than screaming. But, if you really look into it at all, you are guaranteed to find it can be much, much more. Bands like Agnostic Front, Death by Stereo, and Black Flag show that hardcore can utilize skill, emotion, and intelligence to form a thought-provoking sonic assault.

Emo: Yes, the often misunderstood form of music called emo. Bands like Saves the Day and Dashboard Confessional have turned quite alot of people away from emo. Alot of people believe stereotypes that emo is all dull, bland, whiny-ass "She dumped me, what will I do?" lyrics sung over cheap three chord pop-punk melodies. That is far from true. Bands like Hot Water Music, The Used, Brand New, and Glassjaw show that emo can be deep and thought out, instead of just whiny. And, Fugazi are credited being one of the 'founding' bands of emo.. I don't see anyone who's going to call Ian MacKaye (former singer of Minor Threat, now the singer of Fugazi) whiny.

Pop-punk: Another genre of punk that is often unfairly stereotyped. People don't seem to realize that when they bash pop-punk because of bands like Simple Plan, Blink 182, New Found Glory, All American Rejects, Sum 41, etc. that they are bashing alot of what punk is based on. Come on, people, you know as well as I do that The Ramones were a pop-punk band. And you also know, at least most of you, that you at one time did or still do credit The Ramones with starting the punk scene. Pop-punk is a sound, it doesn't mean it's popular MTV music. NOFX, The Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Squirtgun, Guttermouth, No Use for a Name, Goldfinger... all these bands are at least somewhat pop-punk, most of them are completely pop-punk bands. Although pop-punk is also used to describe all those 'MTV bands,' it doesn't mean that's all pop-punk is.

Ska: Ska is another form of music usually closely related to punk. Ska is often similar to reggae and punk, and also commonly uses horns. Ska is usually more upbeat than the other genres of punk, probably because of the horns. Reel Big Fish, Catch 22, Sublime, Less than Jake, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are some examples of modern ska.

Well, that about sums up my overview of the different kinds of punk music that are out there. Although they all sound different, if it's real quality punk music, the energy will be the same anywhere you look.

by Mike

Wednesday 09 April 2003 - 09:09:43

I figured we should have a new article up because we've had the same old ones up for god knows how long. I figured this was a nice controversial topic and should get some discussion going. So let's get started, shall we?

Alright, Punk, the ultimate revolutionary movement. From it spawned so many things; different musical styles, different thinking, censorship, just a plethora of things that effect the world, let alone American society. But have the glory days truly past? Are we just beating a dead horse and should we let put this old dog down? Or were the "glory days" just a precursor for what was to come, for what exists now, and will exist in the future?

Frankly, I don't have all the answers. Actually I probably don't have any. I've been confused by this issue myself, going back and forth between saying "Punks not dead!" to "Let it go already." Well right now I'm in a pretty good mood, and I'm thinkin "crap, punk is awesome and will never die." But don't let me make up your mind. There's many reasons why you could argue either way.

How could punk be dead? Well for starters, you could say the downfall was in the mid-eighties, when the second-wavers came in and were fresh, not knowing the truth behind punk. They may have gotten the jist of it, but the purity had been lost to them. Punk was no longer fresh, and getting less exciting, which would explain the slump in the Punk scene late 80's and early 90's. Few notable acts were around, and even fewer lasted through this dry era. Some blame it on the second-wavers, others saying Punk just wore it self out, and died. Others say it was taking a nap. And still others say Punk died along with Sid Vicious all those years ago.

However, this dry period was not completely arid, and there were some great acts around. Among them being Operation Ivy, The Bouncing Souls, and NOFX. These among others allowed whatever was left of punk at the time to trudge on through this weak period. This could be a testiment to the life of punk. It was down, but not out.

These acts paved the way for yet another wave of punkers. Those deprived of their strong punk roots, looking for something to cling to. This is where the revival came to be. Bands like Anti-Flag, Choking Victim, Propagandhi, and Rancid assaulted the scene with a relentless barrage of vicious lyrics and crushing rhythms. Could this be what Punk was searching so desperately for? Did this breathe life into the fading visage of Punk? No one can say for sure, we all have our opinions. What do you think?

by Jacen Phelps

Thursday 30 January 2003 - 12:40:19

A "sellout" in terms of punk rock is in fact NOTsimply a band that gets mass air-time on MTV or VH1, as many people often say. Most of the time these people are not knowledgable of punk music. However, in most cases, any band that is a true sellout will be seen on major networks quite frequently. I think that the defenition of a sellout can be summed up as any band that drops its home record label to join some fresh new major label, to change not only their attitudes and viewpoints, but their style of music and their appearances, and giving up all responsibilities as to the lyrics of their songs. One thing that I have noticed contantly is the viewpoint that any band played on MTV is a sellout. Simply not true. Just to clear things up...think to yourself... if you were in a band, struggling day out for fans and popularity... would you deny MTV the right to air your video because it would make you a "sellout" ? I think the answer to this question can be clearly summed up with a resounding HELL NO! Allowing a network to air your music is simply common sense, and a decision that sometimes...for some reason...loses fans. To me it is simple common sense... If you were in a band.. and you switched record labels, started to let other high prioroty people and record executives write your lyrics, started to dress and act diferently, then, YES, NOW this would make you a sellout.. as did popular bands Green Day, Blink 182, and recently and sadly, former hardcore punk-rockers AFI. Not to say these bands do not produce KA material, but yes, sadly they sold out. Next time you think of calling a band a "sellout" for simply seeing their music video on a major network... think beore you say it.

Thank you for reading. Enjoy the site.

The real threat

by Mike

Monday 09 June 2003 - 20:05:18

It's 1 AM, and I'm not sleepy; tired, but not sleepy. I take a gander at the articles and think "crap, there hasn't been a new article in months." So here I am, talking about elitists; of all colors, shapes, and sizes. This is sort of a more in depth version of the shorter, more conversational piece of "Punk Purists," so bear with me.

So, what is an elitist? Well the dictionary has a pretty good definition (being as it's a dictionary and all):

elitist n : someone who believes in rule by an elite group

So what does that mean? Well if you can't figure it out, in lamens terms it's basically a fascist, a nazi, someone who needs something to be perfect. Well the dictionary version may not apply to every sort of elitist, theres many derivations of an elitist, it does encompass the vast majority of the elitist, also known as "**smile**."

In just about every sort of... well, everything, there are elitists. Some crazy ass perfectionist who believes something has to be just right. Now I'm not above my elitist moments, so I don't profess to be the Saint Gabriel. However, everyone has their moments where they snap because something isn't how they want it to be. This does not make one a full blown elitist, which is where the distinction needs to be made.

Punk is no exception to this rule. There are elitists. Of all forms, however. As in the "Punk Purists" article, it only states one type of elitist: the street/gutter/crust punk. The stereotypical punk; bondage pants or bleached jeans, boots, colorful hair that defies the law of gravity, chains, spikes, patches; all the regular crap. Yes, there are punk elitists in this form, most definitely. But not all punk elitists are street punks, and not all street punks are elitists. This is where another distinction needs to be made.

I've seen various other "punk" sites (I say "punk" because nothing really embodies the true spirit of punk unless you're at a kick ass show) and there are different forms of elitists. The ones that criticize the gutter punks, the ones that make fun of them, they say things like, "Wow, look at that hair," or "Aren't you a rebel?" People like this COMPLETELY FORGET THE MEANING OF PUNK! Defiance, acceptance, or even acceptance through defiance. Your outer appearance should express how you feel. If it takes a shitty beat up leather jacket and some **thank**ed up home-made pants, than that's what it takes! If it takes a tee-shirt you found on your floor and some old jeans, than that's what it takes!

Some people are just completely lost, and should not have anything to do with punk other than liking the music. Any sort of critic within the "scene" is completely misguided, as punk was designed as an escape, for people to do what they want and not to be **thank**ed with. Leave the bashing at the door with the **inappropriate material** who don't understand, but bring your unity right on in.

There is no textbook definition of a punk (unless you're talking about a piece of wood). There is no "way to be," which is why there is such a surge of elitism in recent years (maybe not even recent). So many things claim to be punk, to be defiant, to be rebellious, that there is no line in the dirt that says this is where punk starts and your society ends. Dont be an **smile** because someone doesnt have green hair, and don't be an **smile** because someone does. That is truly, just not punk.

• 2 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.