Washington DC Message Boards

President Bush's Nomination Of Harriet Miers

Guest Legal Beagle

Guest Legal Beagle

I've known Harriet for more than a decade. I know her heart, I know her character. I know that Harriet's mother is proud of her today, and I know her father would be proud of her, too. I'm confident that Harriet Miers will add to the wisdom and character of our judiciary when she is confirmed as the 110th Justice of the Supreme Court.

Excerpted from Wiki

Harriet Ellan Miers (born August 10, 1945) is an American lawyer and political figure. She is a current nominee for Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Miers is the current White House Counsel in the Republican administration of U.S. President George W. Bush. She was Bush's personal lawyer, White House staff secretary, and Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy prior to her appointment as White House Counsel to replace Alberto Gonzales when he became Attorney General. Prior to her service in the Bush administration, Miers was a lawyer in private practice for 27 years, mostly handling business cases, and served as the first female president of both the Dallas Bar Association and later the State Bar of Texas. She also served one term on the Dallas City Council.

An influential blog by Marvin Olasky, a Bush adviser credited with framing the president's "compassionate conservative" agenda, makes the case that a lot about Miers can be learned from her "decade of service in a conservative church," where she taught Sunday School, made coffee, brought doughnuts, and was willing to do whatever needed doing.

She "totally committed her life to Jesus," and tithed 15 percent of her after- tax income to her church. "Nothing she's asked to do in church is beneath her," he writes, citing an interview with Texas Supreme Court Justice Nathan Hecht, who attended the Valley View Christian Church in Dallas with Miers. "She's an originalist - that's the way she takes the Bible and that's her approach to the Constitution as well."

Guest Peter Carr

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) today met with White House Counsel Harriet Miers, President Bush’s nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court. Hatch issued the following statement:

“Ms. Miers is a very bright, intelligent woman, and she is well-deserving of this nomination. Some of my fellow conservatives have concerns, but they don’t know her as I do. She is an astute woman with a solid sense of what’s right and wrong. She is the type of nominee that President Bush has always said he would select — a strict constructionist who will interpret the law and not legislate from the bench. I look forward to learning more about her judicial philosophy during the upcoming Senate hearings.”

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.