Washington DC Message Boards

Hollywood Hair Extensions Great Price

sophia

Sophia , before you question my skills and experience you need to read my resume' and check my refrences. My first three jobs where at mainstream salons total:(nine years) that is why I am so marketable and everytime I left it was because there was an offer of more money and a better opportunity, and please know that if I didn't have that background I would just tell the clients and allow them to move on to someone that does there is no shame in that, and If I don't know the answer to a question I find the answer....... I can't afford to give opinions and the clients can't afford it. You posted that oil is bad and I didn't say anything because I thought you would fix that with a retraction, but then I'm contacted by a client who tells me that you told her that as well that is two too many and who knows how many more. So you made a mistake but don't blame me for calling you on it, what counts is how you handle it. We both know there is no excuse for the way it was handled because you have email access to me as well and I thought I gave you a contact number and please if you don't want to deal with me find a qualified extentionist with the answers and do research. I started on this board to protect women and I can't in good faith allow you or anyone to give information that could cause damage to the client and all the forms in the world mean nothing if the information is not correct, It only protects you and not the client. Remember you published that information not me and the only way to reach others is to post. Feel free to post whatever you want about me I have nothing to hide, as a matter of fact I expect no less if you feel you are protecting the clients. I truly applaud that, it goes back to the reason I started this..................... And I need to make it clear that it doesn't matter the race of the client but the quality of the information I'm suprised those ten years of experience didn't kick in and tell you, wearing them and doing them is two diffrent things....... I made the distinction to let you know that African American women 99% of them have the need to oil their hair.....but for some reason you didn't take this as advice but an attack, how unfortunate....but it goes back to being well versed in all hair types.........And with you being the ten year certified profesional you can hold your own but not the client who has no idea....

Valencia

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valencia

Im not going to waste time sitting here and questioning your skills. THe point is you do it your way and that is fine. I can understand why you are defensive, just the same as I am about you making a comment to me on this forum.

I was trained by an African American Female. She has her own business and has won several awards for her work. I am not talking about So.Cap!!!!

I am not going to sit here and go back and forth. It is funny though that in my home country, the salons use OIL AND REMOVER to take out the bonds. And that is on all hair types.

As I said before, I wish you well. I think you have done a great job on this forum. But your ways of doing hair, yes, work for you...that is great. But you can't press them on every CERTIFIED COSMETOLOGIST AND CERTIFIED EXTENSION STYLIST. All stylist have different ways of doing things. I would never lash out and tell someone that she did something wrong, I would email them and then we could chat and figure out the matter.

I can understand your defense but I am happy with the job I do and the clients I have.

I will continue to write in this post. My site is almost done and I would be happy to show smiling faces with the job I do. The reason I constantly take courses is to provide better services to my clients. It isn't to make claims about another stylist.

Atleast the other stylist who didn't like your way of doing things emailed you privately, rather than posting things on a public forum.

AGAIN, all the best to you Valenica. My thoughts still are "what you do on this forum is wonderful for the industry". But when you invite other stylists to the forum you will always get difference of opinion. Yes we can grow together but to slam another stylist first before talking to them is not how I have been trained.

Sincerely,

Sophie

You keep going back to the stylist that emailed me....How do you know about that? I posted it, again I have nothing to hide and I wish she had posted. I will say it again, ALL FUSION BONDS NOT ARE THE SAME.....Back in the day oil was used to remove the bonds but there has been improvements made because it pulls the hair out, that is not in dispute here. That is why I tell the client to ask questions and PLEASE ask about the removal process there are better choices now......

I do want to apologize to the readers, not for the information given, but the way this was handled. I made a promise to you all last year and I plan to fulfill that promise, I am not saying Sophia is not qualified, I can't make a claim like that without proof but the oil comment was incorrect, I am sitting here with fusion and oil in my hair RIGHT NOW that is why I am so amazed. I am not telling you what I heard or read it is apart of my everyday hair regime. The only reason I posted is because that oil comment was posted and it makes no sense for me to tell her in private and leave you hanging.

I thought I was giving advice but if anyone thinks it was an attack I AM TRULY SORRY........I am here to help and protect the clients and assist the stylists. My fear is a client reading misleading information on this board, take the advice and heaven forbids her hair breaks off or worse....I started the hair extension thread on this forum and I have worked TOO HARD to build this to allow that to happen and lose readers. If I didn't post it I would be just as guilty. I expect no less from any stylist posting, I hope you feel an obligation to the clients and if I post misleading information I expect the same, you need to tell me. I too make mistakes and if you don't call me on it, I will not grow and that too would be a tragedy.........

CLIENTS:first.........STYLIST:second..............

Thank You

Valencia

I had an interesting day, you know this mess started because of hair oil, TO OIL OR NOT TO OIL...I did a consultation last week with a client that you told not to oil her hair I am doing her hair on the 19th of this month, I also saw it on one of your post and that is why I posted.......I had an 11am client this morning, she came in for her consultation on Oct 14th with the fusion bonds still in her hair, she had her fusion done around the 2nd or 3rd of Oct her name is Lanetta.....(sounds familiar?) At that time I had no idea you did her fusion so you know when I found out this morning, I was shocked to say the least and guess what? she thinks she has pictures....WOW another client.......but PLEASE don't take my word for it you will soon read her words..........IF you need help ask for it.....I mean it, no hard feelings I can't have you doing this...................I am extending my hand to help you, email me or call me and tell me what is going on YOU KNOW AND ONLY YOU KNOW I am not posting everything I'm sure that won't be necessary. Maybe you where having a bad day............

Valencia

Fusions?

On October 2, 2005, I received my 1st fusion. On November 7, 2005. I received my 2nd fusion styling. Yes, I thought this was weird too, isn’t a fusion suppose to last up to 4 months.

Yes, my hair looked good, on 10/2 – for 1 full day. It was beautiful!! That night, I braided my hair up into 1 Braid and wrapped my head in a silk scarf. 10/3 ~I awoke, excited to see the new me. As I began to brush my new long DEW (hair) the brush began to fill up with hair. The culprit, shedding!!!

By 10/4, not only did I have shedding, I had whole fusions, sliding out of my hair. I hated brushing my hair or running my fingers, through my hair. Hair would come out in handfuls!!!! Whatever the style, the hair seemed to tangle/frizz right up.

I thought it was something that I did. I never had fusions, before, so I sought a second opinion. At the salon, I was told, the hair (Indian Remi hair ~2 packs $160.00) was not a good choice for fusions as this type of hair was prone to shedding and tangling. All of which it did!!!!

10/14~ I had a face-face consultation with Valencia at which time I scheduled my 2nd fusion styling for 11/7. Valencia found it hard to believe my fusions had only been in for 12 days. When asked who styled my hair, I simply said I had it done in Baltimore, Md.

I DEBATED FOR a very long time, whether to say anything. I’m a customer/client and I do have an obligation to tell/speak the truth.

I was disappointed ~ Really DiSaPPointed.

The web page quoted a price of $400 dollars; however the cost for a full head $600 dollars. But I was lucky!! I received my hair free and for paying cash I received a discount for a total of $540.00 dollars. Oh, I forgot ~ I had to sign a contract/agreement, stating I would not hold Baltimore Hollywood Hair (Sophia) responsible and etc. As I did not receive a copy of this signed agreement it is hard to say what exactly was on this form.

I have written this costly experience off ~ Too Lessons Learned!!!!

a) If the stylist has not photos to show you of their work, think twice.

B) If the stylist, admits, they went to another salon to have their own fusions put in, you might want to say HUM!!!

c) If the stylist admits, they prefer not taking out their own fusions, referring you to go to another salon to have them removed. This is way past HUM- this is down-right HUM/HUM/ get ta running.

If you’re inquiring, NO!!!!, I did not seek touch-ups, etc with the stylist. WHY? If a plastic surgeon disfigures your face, would you reschedule with the same plastic surgeon to receive corrective surgery?

If inquiring minds, want to know, than you may contact me off-line via my email (sgmdallas@iwon.com)

Hello there

First of all, your writting is very funny! Not the situation but I love your style. Mabye you should tap into that as a talent.

FIrst off all if you can show any web page that states 400 that would be great. Secondly, I am familiar with who this is. I am not going to play games here.

I have list of happy clients and if ever something should go wrong, I would fix it. I think it is funny how this came up just now...

The contract that was signed was about after care. I have the copy here. It doesn't say anything about not being responsible. It is just to verify that you have read the maintenance form.

I have never said not to use Remy hair due to shedding or tangles. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM very intersting. AS with everyone, if for somereason you are not happy I will always fix the problem. I can't fix it if you don't let me know. If you went in over four weeks later, why wouldn't you contact me and tell me. I did enjoy my time with this client, I remember them all.

This is the first person, yes Valencia, the first person who has not come back.

Competition is one thing. But as an individual, you really are going for it.

OH and the remark about having my fusions done by a stylist, that is very funny! I don't attempt to bond the back of my own head. I enjoy the service. Nice try though. I know several stylists who do the same thing, as a matter a fact, I am doing a trade off tomorrow with a fellow stylist who loves SO>CAP.

All in all. I have happy clients. I don't suggest taking them out on your own. It isn't about money it is about BREAKAGE! If you study the process the damage is done while taking them out, not putting them in.

Keep em coming, Im not one to back down in somekind of hair war! I love my job and what I do. I do have photos...thankyou verymuch.

hi everyone i have been a guest on this forum several times. but will sign up to speak up. i have also had my hair done by sophie. a good question for you is if valencia says that your customers can take themout themselves then why does she train that they have to be professionally taken out. i jsut was on her students site hair excursions.com, it sayz she is endorsed by valencia. if that is so why is it her students are trained that removing has to be done professionally but she tells sophie she is wrong to do it. it seems like she is trying to ruin sophie. i am getting married next week and have just,had my hair done by her (sophie). not only did she do a great job, she is now on my wedding list. i have photos of my hair.

ladies read www.myhairexcurisions.com. you will see on there that valencia has trained stylist to tell all their customers that removing should be done by a professional, just like sophie does. but here on the forum valencia says sophie is wrong.

sophie. you can email me and we can talk about next week.

hi everyone i have been a guest on this forum several times.  but will sign up to speak up. i have also had my hair done by sophie.  a good question for you is if valencia says that your customers can take themout themselves then why does she train that they have to be professionally taken out.  i jsut was on her students site hair excursions.com, it sayz she is endorsed by valencia.  if that is so why is it her students are trained that removing has to be done professionally but she tells sophie she is wrong to do it. it seems like she is trying to ruin sophie.  i am getting married next week and have just,had my hair done by her (sophie).  not only did she do a great job, she is now on my wedding list.  i have photos of my hair.

ladies read www.myhairexcurisions.com.  you will see on there that valencia has trained stylist to tell all their customers that removing should be done by a professional, just like sophie does.  but here on the forum valencia says sophie is wrong.

sophie.  you can email me and we can talk about next week.

First of all YIKES!!!!!!!! I hope this is some kind of slang that I am not familiar with, if not pick up a dictionary it is great for the spelling impaired (no offense) I am the same way but I know there is a resource out there to help (dictionary) , ok that is out of the way. I promise I have nothing against Sophia....Just that bit of information that she posted about HAIR OIL not the removal process. Yes I trained Jessie and I also encourage my students to be independant, and that is the way she choose to run her business. I give my clients an option and I train them as well and ask them to give me a demonstration to make sure they not only do it right but to make sure they are comfortable like I said it is not brain surgery. Maybe Jessie choose not to give her clients removal lessons in that case yes they need to be removed by a professional (JESSIE). Please let us open that can of worms, I don't do an application and tell my clients that I don't do removals go to a professional WHY? Because I am a professional and it is their choice but I DO REMOVALS FOR FREE, (MY WORK ONLY) unless it is an emergency.

Thank You for posting

Valencia

I see Sophia is not trying to comprehend....You are all over the place, all I ask is you not tell AFRICAN AMERICAN women not to oil their hair THAT IS IT what is wrong with you?.......As for removal, by the time this client came in for her consultation she had about ten bonds left and I'm being generous and her fusion wasn't in for two weeks so I doubt if removal was a problem and please don't get me started on the quality of the hair THANK GOODNESS you changed to Remy Hair Today, that should be one less worry. Shedding happens to the best of us, but I have tips to minimize that, all you have to do is ask. I am not saying that you don't have happy clients and I understand that you can't please everybody there is more than enough business for everybody so I don't need to compete with you, I just ask that you care enough about not some but ALL your clients to accept a bit of friendly advice but I see that is asking too much................That is a reflection on you not me...........I don't have the time for a hair war I'm too busy cleaning your mess.

Valencia

hi everyone i have been a guest on this forum several times.  but will sign up to speak up. i have also had my hair done by sophie.  a good question for you is if valencia says that your customers can take themout themselves then why does she train that they have to be professionally taken out.  i jsut was on her students site hair excursions.com, it sayz she is endorsed by valencia.  if that is so why is it her students are trained that removing has to be done professionally but she tells sophie she is wrong to do it. it seems like she is trying to ruin sophie.  i am getting married next week and have just,had my hair done by her (sophie).  not only did she do a great job, she is now on my wedding list.  i have photos of my hair.

ladies read www.myhairexcurisions.com.  you will see on there that valencia has trained stylist to tell all their customers that removing should be done by a professional, just like sophie does.  but here on the forum valencia says sophie is wrong.

I promise I have nothing against Sophia....Just that bit of information that she posted about HAIR OIL not the removal process. Yes I trained Jessie and I also encourage my students to be independant, I think Jessie charges for removal and that is fine that is the way she choose to run her business I give my clients an option and I train them as well and ask them to give me a demonstration to make sure they not only do it right but to make sure they are comfortable like I said it is not brain surgery. Maybe Jessie choose not to give her clients removal lessons in that case yes they need to be removed by a professional (JESSIE). Please let us open that can of worms, I don't do an application and tell my clients that I don't do removals go to a professional WHY? Because I am a professional and it is their choice but I DO REMOVALS but only MY WORK unless it is an emergency.

Thank You for posting

Valencia

I'd like to clarify ONE thing. MY website is just that MY website and completely updated by ME. And I'm very proud of it I might add. The FAQ asks whether a client can remove the extensions themselves. MY response (not valencia's) was "no" for TWO reasons 1. different systems require different removers 2. if not removed properly damage can result. Not b/c I want the client to be dependent on me or b/c I want the extra money but b/c I will ensure that it's done properly. This is why they come to us folks! We clients, b/c I too have been a client at some point in my life, decide that we're smarter than the professionals and take matters into our own hands and end up regretting it later. WE professionals try to save them the grief but some lessons we clients have to learn ourselves. Am I completely opposed to a client removing them themselves...no! Is Valencia...no! What we professionals find more often than not is an impatient client trying to hurry and get the extensions out. I've seen this happen with acrylic nails as well. If a client is not able to come in and see me would I tell her how to do it...OF COURSE. It's all about customer service people! As a matter of fact I have a client that asked me to take out her sew-in weave for her b/c she didn't know where to start. I said yes b/c it's a courtesy I'd like to give her, that's why I'm the professional. It's about taking care of the people that are willing to give us their hard earned money in order to feel marvelous when they walk out our doors. They trust OUR judgement. This is absolutely ludicrous. We do what we do b/c we care about people. It's a plus to get paid for such small favors. Someone once told me that rules are not set in stone, they're just guidelines by which we can live by. I don't want a client sitting at home thinking removal is a simple feat w/o the proper information. My lesson learned in all of THIS. Maybe I'll add that to my FAQs! Ciao ladies. I feel that I've already exerted too much time and energy on something so trivial. Continue to be blessed.

I promise I have nothing against Sophia....Just that bit of information that she posted about HAIR OIL not the removal process. Yes I trained Jessie and I also encourage my students to be independant, I think Jessie charges for removal and that is fine that is the way she choose to run her business I give my clients an option and I train them as well and ask them to give me a demonstration to make sure they not only do it right but to make sure they are comfortable like I said it is not brain surgery. Maybe Jessie choose not to give her clients removal lessons in that case yes they need to be removed by a professional (JESSIE). Please let us open that can of worms, I don't do an application and tell my clients that I don't do removals go to a professional WHY? Because I am a professional and it is their choice but I DO REMOVALS but only MY WORK unless it is an emergency.

Thank You for posting

Valencia

I'd like to clarify ONE thing. MY website is just that MY website and completely updated by ME. And I'm very proud of it I might add. The FAQ asks whether a client can remove the extensions themselves. MY response (not valencia's) was "no" for TWO reasons 1. different systems require different removers 2. if not removed properly damage can result. Not b/c I want the client to be dependent on me or b/c I want the extra money but b/c I will ensure that it's done properly. This is why they come to us folks! We clients, b/c I too have been a client at some point in my life, decide that we're smarter than the professionals and take matters into our own hands and end up regretting it later. WE professionals try to save them the grief but some lessons we clients have to learn ourselves. Am I completely opposed to a client removing them themselves...no! Is Valencia...no! What we professionals find more often than not is an impatient client trying to hurry and get the extensions out. I've seen this happen with acrylic nails as well. If a client is not able to come in and see me would I tell her how to do it...OF COURSE. It's all about customer service people! As a matter of fact I have a client that asked me to take out her sew-in weave for her b/c she didn't know where to start. I said yes b/c it's a courtesy I'd like to give her, that's why I'm the professional. It's about taking care of the people that are willing to give us their hard earned money in order to feel marvelous when they walk out our doors. They trust OUR judgement. This is absolutely ludicrous. We do what we do b/c we care about people. It's a plus to get paid for such small favors. Someone once told me that rules are not set in stone, they're just guidelines by which we can live by. I don't want a client sitting at home thinking removal is a simple feat w/o the proper information. My lesson learned in all of THIS. Maybe I'll add that to my FAQs! Ciao ladies. I feel that I've already exerted too much time and energy on something so trivial. Continue to be blessed.

This is what I mean by independant thinking. All I can do is arm them with the tools and be there if they need me, I don't tell them how to think or run their business that is up to them.......It is called FREEDOM OF CHOICE not to mention I have a diffrent clientele (for some reason that doesn't register) I am doing a solder this week from Iraq she is here for only 15 days what am I suppose to tell her? It is a must that I remove your fusion or just not do her hair at all? My choice is to give her the service that she deserves to make her feel GREAT and give her removal lessons because they are simple and I'm refuse to assume that she is an idiot, if she can get through basic training I'm sure fusion removal will be a breeze (MY CHOICE) and my business.............I dont brainwash my students or waste time telling them how to run their business I also remember I was green at one time and had to learn from experiance, Jessie telling clients that the bonds need to be removed by a professional does not harm the client so why should I worry about that opinion..I'm too busy teaching them preparation, proper application, removal, marketing and customer service, I don't need clones I want diversity and unless you have taken one of my sessions the only thing you can do is assume. and WHAT IS THAT WORTH? You know my clients would read this and laugh, I can count on one hand the number of ladies that choose to remove thier own bonds, and most of those ladies live out of the state......AND AGAIN I don't charge to remove MY WORK so of course the majority come to me for removal I just leave that choice up to them.

Thank You

Valencia

Hello there

First of all, your writting is very funny! Not the situation but I love your style. Mabye you should tap into that as a talent.

FIrst off all if you can show any web page that states 400 that would be great. Secondly, I am familiar with who this is. I am not going to play games here.

I have list of happy clients and if ever something should go wrong, I would fix it. I think it is funny how this came up just now...

The contract that was signed was about after care. I have the copy here. It doesn't say anything about not being responsible. It is just to verify that you have read the maintenance form.

I have never said not to use Remy hair due to shedding or tangles. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM very intersting. AS with everyone, if for somereason you are not happy I will always fix the problem. I can't fix it if you don't let me know. If you went in over four weeks later, why wouldn't you contact me and tell me. I did enjoy my time with this client, I remember them all.

This is the first person, yes Valencia, the first person who has not come back.

Competition is one thing. But as an individual, you really are going for it.

OH and the remark about having my fusions done by a stylist, that is very funny! I don't attempt to bond the back of my own head. I enjoy the service. Nice try though. I know several stylists who do the same thing, as a matter a fact, I am doing a trade off tomorrow with a fellow stylist who loves SO>CAP.

All in all. I have happy clients. I don't suggest taking them out on your own. It isn't about money it is about BREAKAGE! If you study the process the damage is done while taking them out, not putting them in.

Keep em coming, Im not one to back down in somekind of hair war! I love my job and what I do. I do have photos...thankyou verymuch.

Sophia,

At a Fusion/Weave salon In VA I was given a questionnaire, containing questions you should ask a perspective stylist:

1) Make sure you see the stylist’s license or certificate of training in the method of that they’re offering from a reputable continuing education program.

2) Ensure the stylist does several methods of hair extensions. Extentionists work on commission, they will never turn down the opportunity to make a profit or likely to tell you you’re a candidate for their system, when in reality you are not.

3) Ask to see photos of their work. Any good stylist will have a portfolio handy for you to see.

4) Make sure the stylist performs a proper razor or point cut ~ ensuring the hair extension fall naturally.

5) Ask for at least 3 references that you can speak to and look at their hair.

6) Ask the prices of removal and touch-ups. Normally the stylist will re-contact a new fusion client, to recommend a follow-up appointment.

7) If a stylist prefers not removing their own work (fusions), seek another stylist.

a. The removal of the fusions allows the stylist the opportunity to see how well the client maintained the fusion hairstyle.

b. The removal process also allows the stylist an opportunity to evaluate the client’s natural hair, too see if the client’s hair benefited from the fusion.

The list goes on and on and unfortunately I did not have this questionnaire, prior to my appointment, it would have saved me quite a bit of time and money.

I did not lie, you stated you prefered not removing the fusions, when asked. You told me to go to a salon, they normally charge 75.00 dollars for removal. I was given an initial price of $400.00 dollars on the telephone. This was an initial and I understand that like a estimate.

After reviewing your postings, you note 2 different prices [350-500 / 350-600] please update the postings for your future clients. The postings mentioned are 21 Sep 05 and 25 Sep 05.

If my intention was to hurt you ~ I would have posted, “Don’t go to ___________!” I would have placed my photos online for all too see, but I didn’t. If my posting makes you think I’m attempting to hurt your reputation, then I’m sorry. Your interpretation is mis-guided.

Maybe I should have contacted you to let you know what was happening with my hair, but like I said in the posting, I simply don’t go back. If I have a bad experience at a restaurant, hotel or salon, I just don’t go back. Nowhere in the posting did I state don't go to your salon, I only told my experience and mentioned your salon once.

You're a beautiful person inside and out and I wish you all the best.

Hi

I am not on my puter so i will sign in as a guest. Lynetta, I am sorry your hair shed like that. I have contacted all my clients and they have small shedding unlike yours, which for me is great to hear but still bothers me about you. I have now in the midst of getting a credit from that supplier in exchange for after care products. I did contact each and every client that I have done who I used that particular brand on, they all will be coming back to me so I know that I have not lost anyone. As I stated in our private email, I wouldve granted you a full refund and upgraded your hair.

Anyways, I have been in LA, I love it there. All the best to you girl.

This is going to be a long forum letter, I am sorry. If it's length overwhelms you, please skip past it, I tend to go on.

Wow. Intense thread! Lol. As an extentionist/licensed cosmetologistt who has grown up around the trade from birth, I thought I'd give potential clients/readers a third opinion on many of the issues discussed in this forum. I take no sides, these remarks come from my own experiences and education, and there are many ways to work with extensions. However, like all skilled trades, there are basic rules to follow... And unlike some skilled there is ever-changing technology in regards to removal/application and supplies.

I first off want to say that it seems there was quite a few misunderstandings on the thread. I do not believe that Valencia was in any way trying to insult Sophia. It sounds as though she was offering advice from her perspective as an African American client. Sophia sounded a bit defensive about that, but part of this industry is receiving critique and rolling with the comments. You are a much more efficient stylist when you take advice for what it is, advice. I tend to listen to everyone, and then choose myself whether to later act on it or not, whatever forum that advice is delivered in.

I work with all ethnicities of hair. I was trained by some wonderful Caucasian instructors, African American instructors, East Indian instructors and I am Native American. I have also had much experience with Asian hair, as my father is Philipino. I am EXTREMELY grateful for my knowledge of different hair types. I have only my peers, instructors and clients to thank for that. I also work in a variety of extension systems, as I feel that knowing ALL types of extensions, whether you offer them or not, is MANDATORY. It allows you to treat many situations in appropriate ways for each client. I work with cancer patients/terminally ill patients/people with alopecia/people with healthy scalps, etc. (www.trinityhair.com.) There is not one single method of hair addition that would work the same for all of these clients. The more you know about cosmetology, the better you will understand the hair/scalp/conditions/style/cut & downfalls as a whole.

Okay, that being said, a few of the topics from my perspective:

I have worked with more bond systems than I can count. These systems are poly waxes, latex bonds, keratin bonds, pre-made tips, self-rolled tips, Monkey Barz sticks, Great Length system bonds, SoCap bonds, Generic Bonds and Balmain bonds. Bonds have changed since the 70's greatly in their strength and structure, but they are not all equal. Some are definitly sturdier then others, some are softer. Some set harder. Some you can color over, some you can't. Some you can bleach/relax over, some you can't. Some handle oil fine, some do not... and they can ALL vary depending on your clients hair type/history/care/ethnicity and lifestyle.

One thing they do all have in common : They can all be broken down for removal with basic acetone (alcohol) and needle nose clamps for flattening the bond. This + patience is a safe, effective way of removing fusion. Each company tends to carry their own removal products/care lines/tools. What you will find with almost EVERY system is that it's remover has a high alcohol content. This dries the bonds out. Obviously some bonds dry out easier than others, but this WILL work on keratin, wax, glues, etc.

Applying oil and heat to the head is an older method of removal. The oil would help the fusion slide out of the hair. It was an uneffective way to remove, however, because it caused MUCH tension on the scalp and natural hair. It involves a lot of pulling because many bonds (unless they are made of a high latex content) do NOT break down well with oil, they merley slide.

Caucasian women tend to have silkier hair. This can sometimes lead to more shedding. It can be harder to combat shedding in fine, silky hair. Although they claim the system stops it, I have even seen this with "Great Lengths" clients. You MUST find a good hair/bond type for EACH client. Knowing more than one system offers clients this benefit. Caucasian women (or anyone) with this type of hair (you see this often with Asian and Native American hair as well) do better to use low or no oil products (no oil products DO exist. I use them) because this helps stop slippage. However, the natural hair should ALWAYS be the main area of concern.

Many African American women (especially those with relaxed or chemically treated hair) MUST use some type of oil. This does not MEAN directly on the bonds, but to preserve the hair's integrity and prevent scalp problems, at the scalp and on the natural hair. (Again, depending on the client) some women's scalps produce enough oil that they do not have to add much directly to the scalp. Their natural hair will become extremley brittle if not allowed to use an oil based product. Extremley curly/kinky hair has a tendency to break because of it's structure. As most people know, a straight hair has a round cuticle. It is more or less solid. Depending on your ethnicity and hair color, your hair strand may contain more or less cuticle (which can effect how well you can lighten/color your hair or break through it with chemical services.) A very curly/kinky piece of hair has a flat cuticle. At each curl, there is a bend point, and the hair is weak at that point. Even when relaxed, you still have these points in the hair. Relaxing hair does not change the cuticle shape, which is why over-relaxing can cause such dreary flat hair.

Most keratin bonds can easily withstand oil without breaking down... And since Curly/Kinky hair has more texture (even relaxed) there tends to be less slipppage if oil is used then with straight hair.

ALL hair, African American, Caucasian or otherwise should ALWAYS be stripped with a clarifying/stripping shampoo before application to prevent substances on the hair that could create a bad bond. What you apply in 24-48 hrs after (depending on how long your system takes to set) should have much less effect on the bond. Overtime, oil may cause some slippage, but even if maintenance comes a bit sooner, the condition of the natural hair should be the most important aspect.

In regards to removing extensions, I see valid points made by both Sophia and Valencia. If a client lives in your area or is available to come in for removal, yes, you should always offer your services as a trained professional. You obviously have more control over the process. (RUN from a stylist that will not take out the work they did on you themselves! This is a simple service if you are coming in for your maintenances on time, and to refuse it is a huge warning sign of problems to come.)

However, if you have a client in a situation similar to Valencia's (the soldier who will be stationed in Iraq with no ability to come back, or a client who flew in and is telling you it is unlikely that they will have the funds to return) you do not want this client trying removal of any kind without instruction!

Yes, there are various removers, yes there are various systems, and yes, there IS a sense of "dependency" that many extentionists rely on in their customers to suceed. But removal is not brain surgery. It takes a few things: An acetone product, a comb and PATIENCE. I have seen MANY clients who have ripped bald patches out trying to remove their own extensions without guidance. The response that I usually get from other extensionists is "they should have come in. It's a professional sevice. They have no right to do it on their own." This is an easy aditude to have, but it does so much damage to the industry. #1. In becoming a stylist/extentionist, isn't it our moral duty (and should be natural passion) to keep natural hair as healthy as we possibly can?! #2. Clients remember the bad, and whether you removed them or not, they WILL tell the horror stories of their bald patches and hair loss with extensions. This hurts EVERYONE #3. Do you want YOUR name on someone who has removed their extensions themselves without instruction, because they HAD no other CHOICE?

This issue is so similar to sex education in high schools. Yes, we may not prefer that clients try this, but as the people who are supposed to care about their hair, shouldn't we arm them with protection when we know a certain person will try it anyway? It is a stylists personal judegment call.

It is always better to have a client come in (TO THEIR OWN APPLICATION EXTENSIONIST) for removal, and we should suggest this, but at times this is not an option and we want to protect our clients. I believe THIS is what Valencia was trying to say.

Last but not least, remi hair IS the best hair on the market. There IS no argument for that. It will not shed more, it will not tangle more (true remi hair is supposed to be gathered with all roots at one end so the cuticle runs in one direction. This is actually what prevents long-term tangling. If your remi hair is tangling badly I would doubt whether it was actually remi.) Shedding has little to do with the hair brand/type/quality and EVERYTHING to do with the bond being used and how the natural and extension hair is prepped and applied. The main difference with "remi" hair is the way that it wears (dryness/breaking/build-up) NOT it's bonding power. THAT is the BOND.

Thanks for reading my book. Lol. Again, I wanted to give some perspective from a third (neutral) party.

Good luck everyone!

AnnSimone

www.annsimone.com

This is going to be a long forum letter, I am sorry. If it's length overwhelms you, please skip past it, I tend to go on.

Wow. Intense thread! Lol. As an extentionist/licensed cosmetologistt who has grown up around the trade from birth, I thought I'd give potential clients/readers a third opinion on many of the issues discussed in this forum. I take no sides, these remarks come from my own experiences and education, and there are many ways to work with extensions. However, like all skilled trades, there are basic rules to follow... And unlike some skilled there is ever-changing technology in regards to removal/application and supplies.

I first off want to say that it seems there was quite a few misunderstandings on the thread. I do not believe that Valencia was in any way trying to insult Sophia. It sounds as though she was offering advice from her perspective as an African American client. Sophia sounded a bit defensive about that, but part of this industry is receiving critique and rolling with the comments. You are a much more efficient stylist when you take advice for what it is, advice. I tend to listen to everyone, and then choose myself whether to later act on it or not, whatever forum that advice is delivered in.

I work with all ethnicities of hair. I was trained by some wonderful Caucasian instructors, African American instructors, East Indian instructors and I am Native American. I have also had much experience with Asian hair, as my father is Philipino. I am EXTREMELY grateful for my knowledge of different hair types. I have only my peers, instructors and clients to thank for that. I also work in a variety of extension systems, as I feel that knowing ALL types of extensions, whether you offer them or not, is MANDATORY. It allows you to treat many situations in appropriate ways for each client. I work with cancer patients/terminally ill patients/people with alopecia/people with healthy scalps, etc. (www.trinityhair.com.) There is not one single method of hair addition that would work the same for all of these clients. The more you know about cosmetology, the better you will understand the hair/scalp/conditions/style/cut & downfalls as a whole.

Okay, that being said, a few of the topics from my perspective:

I have worked with more bond systems than I can count. These systems are poly waxes, latex bonds, keratin bonds, pre-made tips, self-rolled tips, Monkey Barz sticks, Great Length system bonds, SoCap bonds, Generic Bonds and Balmain bonds. Bonds have changed since the 70's greatly in their strength and structure, but they are not all equal. Some are definitly sturdier then others, some are softer. Some set harder. Some you can color over, some you can't. Some you can bleach/relax over, some you can't. Some handle oil fine, some do not... and they can ALL vary depending on your clients hair type/history/care/ethnicity and lifestyle.

One thing they do all have in common : They can all be broken down for removal with basic acetone (alcohol) and needle nose clamps for flattening the bond. This + patience is a safe, effective way of removing fusion. Each company tends to carry their own removal products/care lines/tools. What you will find with almost EVERY system is that it's remover has a high alcohol content. This dries the bonds out. Obviously some bonds dry out easier than others, but this WILL work on keratin, wax, glues, etc.

Applying oil and heat to the head is an older method of removal. The oil would help the fusion slide out of the hair. It was an uneffective way to remove, however, because it caused MUCH tension on the scalp and natural hair. It involves a lot of pulling because many bonds (unless they are made of a high latex content) do NOT break down well with oil, they merley slide.

Caucasian women tend to have silkier hair. This can sometimes lead to more shedding. It can be harder to combat shedding in fine, silky hair. Although they claim the system stops it, I have even seen this with "Great Lengths" clients. You MUST find a good hair/bond type for EACH client. Knowing more than one system offers clients this benefit. Caucasian women (or anyone) with this type of hair (you see this often with Asian and Native American hair as well) do better to use low or no oil products (no oil products DO exist. I use them) because this helps stop slippage. However, the natural hair should ALWAYS be the main area of concern.

Many African American women (especially those with relaxed or chemically treated hair) MUST use some type of oil. This does not MEAN directly on the bonds, but to preserve the hair's integrity and prevent scalp problems, at the scalp and on the natural hair. (Again, depending on the client) some women's scalps produce enough oil that they do not have to add much directly to the scalp. Their natural hair will become extremley brittle if not allowed to use an oil based product. Extremley curly/kinky hair has a tendency to break because of it's structure. As most people know, a straight hair has a round cuticle. It is more or less solid. Depending on your ethnicity and hair color, your hair strand may contain more or less cuticle (which can effect how well you can lighten/color your hair or break through it with chemical services.) A very curly/kinky piece of hair has a flat cuticle. At each curl, there is a bend point, and the hair is weak at that point. Even when relaxed, you still have these points in the hair. Relaxing hair does not change the cuticle shape, which is why over-relaxing can cause such dreary flat hair.

Most keratin bonds can easily withstand oil without breaking down... And since Curly/Kinky hair has more texture (even relaxed) there tends to be less slipppage if oil is used then with straight hair.

ALL hair, African American, Caucasian or otherwise should ALWAYS be stripped with a clarifying/stripping shampoo before application to prevent substances on the hair that could create a bad bond. What you apply in 24-48 hrs after (depending on how long your system takes to set) should have much less effect on the bond. Overtime, oil may cause some slippage, but even if maintenance comes a bit sooner, the condition of the natural hair should be the most important aspect.

In regards to removing extensions, I see valid points made by both Sophia and Valencia. If a client lives in your area or is available to come in for removal, yes, you should always offer your services as a trained professional. You obviously have more control over the process. (RUN from a stylist that will not take out the work they did on you themselves! This is a simple service if you are coming in for your maintenances on time, and to refuse it is a huge warning sign of problems to come.)

However, if you have a client in a situation similar to Valencia's (the soldier who will be stationed in Iraq with no ability to come back, or a client who flew in and is telling you it is unlikely that they will have the funds to return) you do not want this client trying removal of any kind without instruction!

Yes, there are various removers, yes there are various systems, and yes, there IS a sense of "dependency" that many extentionists rely on in their customers to suceed. But removal is not brain surgery. It takes a few things: An acetone product, a comb and PATIENCE. I have seen MANY clients who have ripped bald patches out trying to remove their own extensions without guidance. The response that I usually get from other extensionists is "they should have come in. It's a professional sevice. They have no right to do it on their own." This is an easy aditude to have, but it does so much damage to the industry. #1. In becoming a stylist/extentionist, isn't it our moral duty (and should be natural passion) to keep natural hair as healthy as we possibly can?! #2. Clients remember the bad, and whether you removed them or not, they WILL tell the horror stories of their bald patches and hair loss with extensions. This hurts EVERYONE #3. Do you want YOUR name on someone who has removed their extensions themselves without instruction, because they HAD no other CHOICE?

This issue is so similar to sex education in high schools. Yes, we may not prefer that clients try this, but as the people who are supposed to care about their hair, shouldn't we arm them with protection when we know a certain person will try it anyway? It is a stylists personal judegment call.

It is always better to have a client come in (TO THEIR OWN APPLICATION EXTENSIONIST) for removal, and we should suggest this, but at times this is not an option and we want to protect our clients. I believe THIS is what Valencia was trying to say.

Last but not least, remi hair IS the best hair on the market. There IS no argument for that. It will not shed more, it will not tangle more (true remi hair is supposed to be gathered with all roots at one end so the cuticle runs in one direction. This is actually what prevents long-term tangling. If your remi hair is tangling badly I would doubt whether it was actually remi.) Shedding has little to do with the hair brand/type/quality and EVERYTHING to do with the bond being used and how the natural and extension hair is prepped and applied. The main difference with "remi" hair is the way that it wears (dryness/breaking/build-up) NOT it's bonding power. THAT is the BOND.

Thanks for reading my book. Lol. Again, I wanted to give some perspective from a third (neutral) party.

Good luck everyone!

AnnSimone

www.annsimone.com

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valencia

:D Hello Ladies, I have one thing to add to all of what she stated. I have been a cosmetologist for 15 years and I agree with what annsimone/Valenica's theory on what different types of hair needs. The last and important thing is diet. ladies if you don't have a well balanced healthy diet (fruits, veggies and plenty of water) your hair will definately show it. You know the saying you are what eat? So yes, the scalp does produce it's own oils, but if your diet is whack it will show on your scalp and hair :(

Thanks, Shiry

:D Hello Ladies, I have one thing to add to all of what she stated. I have been a cosmetologist for 15 years and I agree with what annsimone/Valenica's theory on what different types of hair needs. The last and important thing is diet. ladies if you don't have a well balanced healthy diet (fruits, veggies and plenty of water) your hair will definately show it. You know the saying you are what eat? So yes, the scalp does produce it's own oils, but if your diet is whack it will show on your scalp and hair :(

Thanks, Shiry

Very true! The care you take with yourself can be very evident through the hair!

AnnSimone :D

Thank You for posting

Valencia

THIS IS WHY SHE IS ONE OF MY PROTEGE'S!!!!!!!!!!

SHE THINKS ON HER OWN....AND GUESS WHAT? WE ARE BOTH RIGHT!!!!!!!!! And PLEASE keep in mind we have a different clientele.

Thank You

Valencia

still away.

just wanted to say. that everyones opinion is wonderful. i have and always loved to network. i am a firm believer in nutrition, and i am glad that someone else brought that up. i did mention that before.

the novel type post is great. i know that everyone will learn from everyones experiences. i have learned myself. i have received emails and i think that individual support is always wonderful.

in the end we all have a few things in common. but i am not here to prove myself. i initially only came on this forum for the love of what i do. and yes, a bit defensive on my own. not to ever slam valencia but for the comments directed to me. i am trained, certified and proud of what i do. i continue to learn and seek knowledge. in life if you think you are done learning, you are on the wrong path.

so, again, thankyou for the emails. the photos will be posted on my site when the web master is done. i also am using a few new products that are wonderful. i have just joined forces with a salon in VA and MD, super exiting stuff going on.

"the universe of feminity is like a galaxy of stars, each one has a unique face but all have a voluptuous beauty. Hair extensions can fullfill females wish of beauty to suit their individual mood and personality"

God Bless

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hello,

I'm Isabelle, living in Paris France, and I love Hair styling!

I'm really glad to be in that forum, and learning how you are doing in US.

Is anyone of you has a website or a blog so that people can see your doings?

I am a part time Hairdresser(5years of experience off salon), I don't have a salon yet, I would like to learn about extension techniques!

I have a blog, and I have customers here in France, you can see what I've done so far!

Take care sisters

www.coiffurefashion.blogspot.com

Isa

Hi thanks for posting here. I have been taking a small break from this forum.

My website is up, please visit

WWW.MYLONGTRESSES.COM

We have just added two members to our team and are looking forward to 2006.

Isabelle, My old roomate and great friend is from France. We lived together for two years, she is a wonderful lady, so full of life. I have been to Europe several times. Love the culture and the fashion! I will be sure to check out your forum/blog. I do know of one in France...let me respond to you with it when I find out more info.

Cowboy user...I still have no idea who you are. A name would be great :blink: , thanks for sticking up for me. I honestly am so over it, a waste of my time and energy to say the least. If I knew who you were I could envite you to our Christmas Party that we are holding at the studio. It is finally furnished and looks wonderful, thanks to my new business partners!

Albert Einstein: Your thoughts create you! Carpe Diem, Sieze the Day.

Happy Holidays Ladies!

I have received emails about the So.Cap line and those who want to offer this type of service to their clients.

Just letting you know that there is a training seminar for all those Certified Cosmetologists with So.Cap Extension company. They are training in NYC the 3-5th and Baltimore Dec 6th.

I have been using this system with several of my clients and we all are hooked. If you need the contact number for the course please email me at info@mylongtresses.com and I will forward you the Trainers info.

Also for those that live in Charlotte, there is a Hair Extension Spring show coming to your city in March. This is for all who either provide the service or would like to simply learn new hair addition styles.

Merry Christmas

Extension Stylist. California Dreams is in town this Saturday. She is hosting a training seminar this Sunday and Monday. She will also be at our studio during the afternoon on Saturday. If you are interested in this type of non-bond extension and you are Licensed, please email me info@mylongtresses.com. This is a rare training session as she is flying in from LA.

Also, for those who keep emailing me for DYS lessons. I honestly wouldn't suggest doing this yourself unless trained by someone certified and who loves what they do. That said, please stop emailing me for instructions. I can barely keep up with the emails-not to mention the the Do It Yourselfr's. There are plenty of resources on the internet if you feel like you need to teach yourself. Just be careful.

Carpe Diem

Extension Stylist.  California Dreams is in town this Saturday.  She is hosting a training seminar this Sunday and Monday.  She will also be at our studio during the afternoon on Saturday.  If you are interested in this type of non-bond extension and you are Licensed, please email me info@mylongtresses.com.  This is a rare training session as she is flying in from LA.

Also, for those who keep emailing me for DYS lessons.  I honestly wouldn't suggest doing this yourself unless trained by someone certified and who loves what they do.  That said, please stop emailing me for instructions.  I can barely keep up with the emails-not to mention the the Do It Yourselfr's.  There are plenty of resources on the internet if you feel like you need to teach yourself.  Just be careful. 

Carpe Diem

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU. Ladies we cannot instruct uncertified stylist, and like Sophia said if you feel the need to do it yourself, PLEASE be careful it may cost you MORE money and your HAIR in the long run. We are just trying our best to look out for you.

Valencia