Washington DC Message Boards

Should We Rebuild New Orleans

Guest 2Easy

I think American taxpayers should think about whether it would be better to plow most of New Orleans and leave a little part for commercial Port Access, historical tourism (simular to Harper's Ferry) and expand a town further inland for the majority of the population.

Just my two cents

Guest With YOu

Honestly that is the truth. Why rebuild the city when it loses about 35 feet a year. This probaly is a bad idea, Im for moving it inland also. Plus I noticed many people dont even want to go back. They want to stay in places like Houston and etc. But yes what if this happens again? Than it becomes a waste of money and people will blame bush 30 yrs from now. LOL Anyway your right about that.

Guest WestVirginiaGal

What happens if we spend 100 billion of our tax payer dollars into New Orleans and the whole city gets wrecked again? We don't have that type of money. Let's be smart and put that money into integrating our New Orleans citizens can get a new start.

Think of this way...

If you had a home that was destroyed by a flood, would you rebuild it in the same place again? Or would you move to higher ground?

Its that simple.

Guest Father Michael Jaques

On the issue of whether people should return to live in the neighborhoods such as Treme that are below sea level and subject to future flooding, that decision should be left to the people.

People of New Orleans, you are about to get screwed big time... Bush cronies will be descending on your fair city -- taking your jobs, your tax dollars, and rebuilding it in their own pathetic, extreme fundamentalist image.

• 2 weeks later...

It is my opinion that hard-hit areas be declared “Opportunity Zones,” in which investment-inhibiting taxes (such as those on capital gains) are eliminated and regulations that needlessly impede recovery and rebuilding are eliminated or simplified. This guarantees that private capital can flow into neighborhoods and communities from across the nation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.