Washington DC Message Boards

What is the duty of a woman in the world?

dattaswami

What is the duty of a woman in the world?

Smt. Rupa Murthy asked: Padanamaskaram Swamiji! I really admire your different perspectives and the underlying meanings of Your discourses. I have a few questions, which I have presented below. My questions are related to a woman’s duty in this world. What is most important in a woman’s life? Is dealing with a toxic relationship considered great? Or is being a mother considered great? Or is pursuing a career great? A woman can successfully manage all such roles together, only if she finds a proper life-partner and a supportive family (in-laws), which is almost not possible in today’s life. No mater how many achievements a woman may make in her life, she is treated well, only if she becomes a mother. I am not able to figure out why marriage and kids are given so much importance in a woman’s life. Being a career-oriented person and seven months pregnant, I am not able to enjoy my motherhood, due to all such questions.

Are all these questions arising in my mind because of the situations I am going through? Is this a test of God? Am I on the correct path? I am entangled in all these thoughts and am confused. How can a woman balance both motherhood and her career, with minimal support? Please help me and remove my ignorance, Swami. Regards, Rupa Murthy]

Swami replied: God is the basic support of both worldly life (pravṛtti) and spiritual life (nivṛtti). Several confusing questions have surrounded you like several tigers surrounding a cow in the forest. If you want to solve all these conflicts and worldly issues, you must surrender to God totally and develop immense devotion to God. It alone will channelize your mind in the proper direction. Marriage and children are important, not only for a woman, but also for a man. To rectify family problems after getting married, one must be devoted to God. God will certainly help. One must be careful before selecting one’s life-partner. But having selected one’s life-partner and having started one’s married life, intense devotion to God alone is the path to solving family problems.

===============
-By Shri Datta Swami
(Visit our website: www.universal-spirituality.org)
Universal Spirituality for World Peace