Washington DC Message Boards

Soda Nation

strengthcoach

I was asked by a friend the other day about the nutritional value of diet soda. At the time I knew that artificial sweetners were detrimental to your body due to an inability of the body to excrete a by product of the sweetner, namely aspartame. I did some additional research by consulting with the book, "Caffeine Blues" and came up with some interesting facts.

There is a long list of negative side effects due to soda consumption which include but are not limited to depression, high blood pressure, diabetes, weight gain, inability to focus, and lethargy. The interesting fact is that the artificial sweetner tricks the body into thinking that there will be more calories being consumed then there really is which causes the body not to release stores of body fat.

According to statistics soda is considered the number one sold food item by grocery stores. Yes, that is correct, soda is considered a food item. Not only is this a huge problem but the fact that caffeine along with aggressive marketing directed towards our youth will make it very difficult for our young people to simply start drinking water.

That's pretty scary info, strength coach. I heard something about a soda tax or some such thing coming under consideration.

I just read an article about the soda tax. It seems like a good idea but how effective will it be for those who are addicted to caffeine. Will the tax be enough to make them stop? A tax is a good start but we have a national problem that has been in the works for many years, namely a lack of awareness of prevention of disease through exercise and good nutrition. We could be saving millions of dollars in medical care through prevention. Put P.E. class back into the school program 5 days per week and get the soda machines out of the schools in which those very schools are receiving money from the soda companies. Strength coach.

Guest Ruth Litchfield

The causes of obesity and overweight are multi-faceted and cannot be attributed to any one single factor. Weight gain occurs when there is an imbalance of energy intake and energy output—consuming more calories than are used in activity.

The causes of obesity and overweight are multi-faceted and cannot be attributed to any one single factor. Weight gain occurs when there is an imbalance of energy intake and energy output—consuming more calories than are used in activity.

Ruth. Well stated. There are many reasons for obesity, soda consumption is just one factor of many. Strengthcoach.