Washington DC Message Boards

Free Athletic Testing Competition

Guest Strengthcoach

Guest Strengthcoach

If your an area athlete and want to compare yourself to your competition then come to Rockville Fitness on Sunday October 25. Tests will include Height, Weight, Body Fat, Sit and Reach, Vertical, Standing Broad Jump, Max Push-ups, Max Sit-ups, Pro Agility, 40 Yard Sprint, and 300 Yard Shuttle. A point system will be given to each test which will determine a winner.

If your an area athlete and want to compare yourself to your competition then come to Rockville Fitness on Sunday October 25 at noon. Tests will include Height, Weight, Body Fat, Sit and Reach, Vertical, Standing Broad Jump, Max Push-ups, Max Sit-ups, Pro Agility, 40 Yard Sprint, and 300 Yard Shuttle. A point system will be given to each test which will determine a winner.

What is the age range you are expecting? What is your experience? Will you make me a superstar?

Age range will be from middle school through high school. Possibly some older former athletes. I have 20 years experience in the field with stints with American University as their strength coach as well as with The Washington Capitals. Can I make you a superstar? I can give you a plan and direction my friend but the rest is up to you. Participating in the event is the first step so hopefully I will see you there. Jim Fox, strengthcoach.

What type of agility drills do you recommend for a 6foot 5 tall basket ball player. Does this cost money.

What level do you play at? I can give you some basic drills to start with but the best course of action would be to meet with you and get tested to see what you need to work on and go from there. In the meantime here are some basic agility drills: First drill would be done on an agility ladder and it's called a shuffle. First step is face either left or right with your front part of your body. If facing left you will step with your right foot first and then your left in the same box. Repeat this pattern down the entire ladder. First focus on form without empahsizing speed, then pick up your speed and work on you foot speed. Next agility drill is called a T drill and is used with cones. The cones are placed in a T shape with one cone at the bottom part of the T and three cones placed on the upper part of the T. Sprint from the bottom part of the T to the middle cone at the top of the T, at this point start to shuffle left to the next cone, at this cone change directions to the other side of the T. When you get to the middle cone after changing directions from the far cone start to backpedal until you get to the bottom of the T. Confused? Goggle the drills on line and you can get the picture. I hope this helps and get back to me if you want to meet. Jim Fox, strengthcoach.

How long is this going to last?

The event will last about two hours but will take place every month. Prizes will include trophy's as well as free training, 1 month for first place, 3 weeks for second, and two weeks for third. Go Terps. That's where I graduated from. Strengthcoach.

Guest Marvin 1998

Mr. Fox,

I would like to see how the Redskins would perform. They do not look that good. My dad says they are not in football shape. I would like to be an athlete, but I am slow. How can I increase my speed? Do you need volunteers?

Mr. Fox,

I would like to see how the Redskins would perform. They do not look that good. My dad says they are not in football shape. I would like to be an athlete, but I am slow. How can I increase my speed? Do you need volunteers?

Anyone can improve their speed, they just need the correct drills and coach to direct them. Your Dad is right, some of the Redskins do look at of shape(Haynesworth), that can also can be addressed by their Strength Coaches. If you want to be an athlete then the first step would come out to the testing event and see how you do. At some points during the Summer I do need help so keep in touch. Thanks for ou comments. Strengthcoach.

I live in New Mexico and read your post. What food should I eat to become a star basketball player.

I am hesitant to give you a cookey cutter diet at this point without first consulting with you, but I can say that a key to your revovery post workout is consuming something right after you have finished the workout and within 30 min. This allows your muscles that have depleted their glycogen stores to be restocked. A smoothie that has 60% carbs, 40% protein is great because it's quickly absorbed and doesn't have to be broken down due to it's liquid state. If a smoothie is not available then a bagel with peanot butter is good or maybe just an energy bar. If you want to get more in depth then email me a weeks worth of what you eat and I can analyze it with some software I have. My email address is jimfox@dcemail.com. Thanks. Strengthcoach.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this a one-time thing? If I can't make the date will you be doing this in the future?

Chris. This will be a monthly event. No problem if you can't make it this time. See you next time. Thanks for your response. Jim Fox.