Washington DC Message Boards

The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark

Guest Soldier of God_*

Guest Soldier of God_*

When Jesus and his disciples were approaching Jerusalem, at Bethphage and Bethany, near the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples and said to them, “Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately as you enter it, you will find tied there a colt that has never been ridden; untie it and bring it. If anyone says to you, ‘Why are you doing this?’ just say this, ‘The Lord needs it and will send it back here immediately.’”

They went away and found a colt tied near a door, outside in the street. As they were untying it, some of the bystanders said to them, “What are you doing, untying the colt?”

They told them what Jesus had said; and they allowed them to take it. Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks on it; and he sat on it. Many people spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy branches that they had cut in the fields. Then those who went ahead and those who followed were shouting, “Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the coming kingdom of our ancestor David! Hosanna in the highest heaven!” Then he entered Jerusalem and went into the temple.

The Gospel of the Lord.

Praise to you, Lord Christ.

• 8 months later...
Guest ALWAYS RED

Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 143 U.S. 457 (1892)

If we pass beyond these matters to a view of American life, as expressed by its laws, its business, its customs, and its society, we find every where a clear recognition of the same truth. Among other matters, note the following: the form of oath universally prevailing, concluding with an appeal to the Almighty; the custom of opening sessions of all deliberative bodies and most conventions with prayer; the prefatory words of all wills, "In the name of God, amen;" the laws respecting the observance of the Sabbath, with the general cessation of all secular business, and the closing of courts, legislatures, and other similar public assemblies on that day; the churches and church organizations which abound in every city, town, and hamlet; the multitude of charitable organizations existing every where under Christian auspices; the gigantic missionary associations, with general support, and aiming to establish Christian missions in every quarter of the globe. These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation.

http://supreme.justia.com/us/143/457/

The second oath that federal judges must take is this; it is the same oath that members of Congress take:

I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/5/3331.html

The Coronation Oath (from the Order of Service for the Coronation of Elizabeth II in 1953) is administered in the form of questions:

Archbishop of Canterbury: Will you solemnly promise and swear to govern the Peoples of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand,the Union of South Africa and of your Possessions and the other Territories to any of them belonging or pertaining, according to their respective laws and customs?

Queen: I solemnly promise so to do.

Archbishop: Will you to your power cause Law and Justice, in Mercy, to be executed in all your judgements?

Queen: I will.

Archbishop: Will you to the utmost of your power maintain the Laws of God and the true profession of the Gospel? Will you to the utmost of your power maintain in the United Kingdom the Protestant Reformed Religion established by law? Will you maintain and preserve inviolably the settlement of the Church of England, and the doctrine, worship, discipline, and government thereof, as by law established in England? And will you preserve unto the Bishops and Clergy of England, and to the Churches there committed to their charge, all such rights and privileges, as by law do or shall appertain to them or any of them?

Queen: All this I promise to do.

Then the Queen, arising out of her chair, supported by peers and with the Sword of State being carried before her, goes to the altar to make her solemn oath in the sight of all the people to observe the premises by laying her right hand upon the Holy Gospel in the great Bible (which was before carried in the procession and is now brought from the altar by the archbishop, and tendered to her as she kneels upon the steps), saying:

Queen: The things which I have here before promised, I will perform and keep. So help me God.

Then the Queen kisses the Bible and signs the Oath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj_loqM7uw8

Guest Soldier of God

The law of the Lord is unspotted, converting souls: the testimony of the Lord is faithful, giving wisdom to little ones. The justices of the Lord are right, rejoicing hearts: the commandment of the Lord is lightsome, enlightening the eyes. Psalm 19:8,9

Now we know that what things soever the law speaks, it speaks to them that are in the law: that every mouth may be stopped and all the world may be made subject to God. Because by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified before him. For by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 3:19,20

• 5 weeks later...

Hey!!Soldier of God thought you might like this; Enoy.

Pope Says Priests Must Move in Cyberspace

January 27, 2010 7:01AM

Since the 82-year-old Benedict's election in 2005, the Vatican has increased its presence on the Internet, creating an Internet site dedicated to the pontiff, www.pope2you.net, on the web video-sharing channel YouTube and on the social networking site Facebook. More than two million hits were registered by visitors to www.pope2you.net.

Pope Benedict XVI in a message issued Saturday, urged priests to use modern digital technology including the Internet, to interact with the faithful and to seek out new converts.

Jesus' "word can traverse the many crossroads created by the intersection of all the different 'highways' that form 'cyberspace,' and show that God has his rightful place in every age, including our own," the pontiff said.

"Thanks to the new communications media, the Lord can walk the streets of our cities and, stopping before the threshold of our homes and our hearts, say once more: 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me,'" Benedict said, citing the New Testament book of Revelation.

Benedict's message was prepared for the Catholic Church's World Day of Social Communications which falls on Sunday, the feast-day of the patron saint of journalists, St Francis de Sales.

Since the 82-year-old Benedict's election in 2005, the Vatican has increased its presence on the Internet, creating an Internet site dedicated to the pontiff, www.pope2you.net, on the web video-sharing channel YouTube and on the social networking site Facebook.

More than 2 million hits were registered by visitors to www.pope2you.net, during the Christmas season, according to the president of the Vatican's Pontifical Council for Social Communications, Monsignor Claudio Maria Celli.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.