Washington DC Message Boards

Debate & Critic of Solutions

jmn0730

According to “The Economist” there is a debate as to why oil prices keep increasing. “speculators are responsible for a big part of the commodity price increases” is one out look and the other side argues that “the price is bound to keep rising indefinitely, since supplies of oil are running short.”

After reading all of these posts on this message board I have found that many people believe that “oil running short” is bogus and just a way to get people to invest in the oil market.

I had over-viewed many hypothetical solutions to decreasing gas prices and find some of them to be far fetched. I for one am a strong believer in low gas prices because I drive a car just like everyone else, but I am also a believer of being realistic in our ideas for solutions.

Take this idea for example, “We need to immediately stop putting oil underground into the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, and start addressing the fundamental issue of these sky-high prices by cracking down on the rampant speculation that’s driving up the price of energy.” Sure it sounds like an easy way out, but if you really think about it, what happens when we need that reserved oil. I know you cannot tell me specifically how much oil is reserved so you can’t really make an assumption off of nothing. What if a national attack happens and we need that oil? Its solutions like this that makes gas prices remain at an increase.

I think a more realistic solution would be to limit the amount of barrels or people allowed for speculation. The less investors we have piling into oil markets, the lower gas prices will be. Congressman Maurice Hinchey has already passed the Prevent Unfair Manipulation of Prices Act (PUMP) as at least a step in the right direction.

Guest human_*

When it comes to oil futures the speculation on how much the speculators are actually driving up gas prices varies from 10% to as much as 60% "Simply put, no one knows".

It's a combination of solutions that we need. It is forecasted that in 2009 the consumption rate will drop in the States, and increase in Latin America, Asia, and Africa.

There is no simple solution to any of this. IT WILL TAKE time to re-build the energy infrastructure in this country.

Now who is at fault for this mess? "To be blunt about it" ALL OF US, Republican, Democrat, and the political one-upmanship games that we play on each other " Whether it's on the net or offline".

And for those who like to play the political game and just blame the republicans? Don't go there. You wont win because I can point to the democrats and say; You the democrats have had control of both the house and senate for two years, and all that the democrats have done is investigate,investigate,investigate.

On the flip side for my group the republicans; Not being better stewards of the environment "as we should have been".

And for those of you who really are in politics out there "Like me for instance", we have to navigate the waters of "PEOPLE WITH HUGE EGO'S" to get what is needed to be done correctly "Regardless of

which political party is in office"?

And that's why I still say to people to this day; Get your career in place first, before you jump into politics.

For it is not for the weak of heart.

Let me give you in general terms what politics is really like; Democrat Senator "A" doesn't want person "B" coming into this country to tell the American people what's really going on in there country cause IT WILL UNDERMINE his or her position.

A film documentary; "and this IS how it's played". A foreign documentary film that would tell the general public as to what’s really going on out there. LET'S GET THAT FILM CLASSIFIED so as to neither the general public, nor the press gets a hold of it, and that's it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to “The Economist” there is a debate as to why oil prices keep increasing. “speculators are responsible for a big part of the commodity price increases” is one out look and the other side argues that “the price is bound to keep rising indefinitely, since supplies of oil are running short.”

After reading all of these posts on this message board I have found that many people believe that “oil running short” is bogus and just a way to get people to invest in the oil market.

I had over-viewed many hypothetical solutions to decreasing gas prices and find some of them to be far fetched. I for one am a strong believer in low gas prices because I drive a car just like everyone else, but I am also a believer of being realistic in our ideas for solutions.

Take this idea for example, “We need to immediately stop putting oil underground into the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, and start addressing the fundamental issue of these sky-high prices by cracking down on the rampant speculation that’s driving up the price of energy.” Sure it sounds like an easy way out, but if you really think about it, what happens when we need that reserved oil. I know you cannot tell me specifically how much oil is reserved so you can’t really make an assumption off of nothing. What if a national attack happens and we need that oil? Its solutions like this that makes gas prices remain at an increase.

I think a more realistic solution would be to limit the amount of barrels or people allowed for speculation. The less investors we have piling into oil markets, the lower gas prices will be. Congressman Maurice Hinchey has already passed the Prevent Unfair Manipulation of Prices Act (PUMP) as at least a step in the right direction.

Guest Hassan

The US and many world economies pretend that they have free markets, but yet the market is heavily influenced by politicians and lobbyists. Free market should go both ways. The government and influential people should not be able to control the market, neither the rich corporations should be able to control and influence the government and influential people.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.