Washington DC Message Boards

A Capitol Fourth 2008 / Who's been there before?

Guest Springermom

Guest Springermom

Hello and a happy early 4th of July to all!

I am thinking about taking my family to the Capitol on Friday to see the "Capitol Fourth" show. I was just reading on their website that the gates open at 5pm for an 8pm show start. Has anyone here ever gone before? Is it worth waiting 3 hours to see? I have a 7 and 10 year old and wonder if it might be too long for them to wait. Do people usually line up early to get a seat? Can you bring sparklers? (to help keep the kiddos entertained while waiting) And how about your own food and drink?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light and help me make my decision.

A Springer

Guest Guest

The first time I went was with a girlfriend in 1984 at age 17 to see the free Beach Boys concert on the Mall. I think I've been there for at least another 7 4ths of July over the years since then. Recently it has become quite the interesting experience with regards to the security. It is what it has to be, and it isn't so bad. Some delays, sure, but loosing the riff-raff of potential problems of whatever kind makes this adventure totally worth it!

I only see wonderful things for you and your family if you choose to build lasting memories through overcoming the necessary hurdles all patriots will understand in these troubled times. Don't miss the chance, at very least.

Your on the right path, because there are only a few best ways to do this from the suburbs, so do you research!

Happy Fourth,

Doug in Bethesda (born in DC!)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.