Washington DC Message Boards

Baking and Pastry Discussion Forum

I'm a chef with 20+ years experience and my focus is on the baking/pastry side. If you would like recipes or to talk about techniques then please feel free to write me.

Chef where do you buy your ingrediants?

I shop around utilizing the farmers markets and whole foods markets. I'm leaning away from whole foods because they're becoming too pricey and too corporate. I do try and grow my own herbs and spices using strawberry pots or window planters. Planting baby lettuces is a great way to have fresh greens every night. Just pick the outer leaves off and the lettuce will continue to reproduce from the center outwards. As for meats I use a real butcher in Elkins, WV.

Guest Maxine

I usually go to MOM (My Organic Market) they are expensive. I noticed that you are focused on just muffins. I really love just eating the tops. I throw the rest away.

Guest chefknight
I usually go to MOM (My Organic Market) they are expensive. I noticed that you are focused on just muffins. I really love just eating the tops. I throw the rest away.

The Items on the website are all going to get updated with new and exciting pastries and baked goods. We're in the process of revamping the entire site. Added will be cookies, brownies, a selection of cakes and accessories , such as wicker baskets, ribbons, cards etc., so you can customize and personalize your order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Dear Chef Night,

I was wondering if you could please tell what is used to fill eclairs with. Is it Pastry Cream? Is so, is this something you can buy Pre-Made? I need to buy a lot of it for a restaurant and can't afford the time to make it my self. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Nico.

• 10 months later...
Guest Guest

Hi Chef Knight, For baklava pastries, do you recommend a best brand for

the Filo dough pastry sheets? I like the geometric parallelogram cut for the baklava

and I don't know which brand of Filo dough is best.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.