Washington DC Message Boards

Developing Tutorial Services From Parents

Karl Rudder

The DC, MD and VA news media "report" on the quality of education being given to local youth as if it's only a local concern rather than it being a national crisis. It is critical that the 9am - 3pm school day is expanded by providing positively rewarding tutorial services for the benefit of all kgn. - 12th grade students rather than merely debate on what schools will be or won't be closed.

To insist on only providing four "report cards" and four opportunities for parents to meet with the teachers of their children is as practical as buying a dollars worth of gasoline. My point is that your child will only go so far with such a rare occasion for teachers to meet with parents.

As the school year is ending it is time now to develop the confidence of parents and concerned adults in being able to develop their tutorial skills so that they can be more active in making sure that elementary school children will maintain if not develop more basic academic skills in reading, writing and computing math during the course of the summer. A sincere effort at helping junior and senior high school students cannot be developed unless we take care of the academic needs of our 2nd, 3rd, 4th,5th and 6th grade students. Truly coordinated services can even help responsible junior and senior high school students to perform tutorial services at the library or under the supervision of their own parents or the parents of children in their community. Positive peer pressure can prove to be the magic formula so long as it is properly supervised.

Such an effort will develop the academic output of many junior and senior high school children. Right now the average American child "graduates" from elementary school without having mastered a 6th grade level of skill in reading, writing and computing basic math. Don't hold your breath until the news media shares such a basic fact with you. Should such a fact be "reported" I am willing to bet that it will be a quicky "report" that won't be able to compete with the effort given to make sure we all know what Senator is arrested for trying to pick up an undercover cop in an airport.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate." I will be doing my best between now and June to contact all local Parent Teachers Association or any organizations that are interested in providing workshops for parents in building their tutorial skills for the benefit of their children. It is now time for the many proud graduates of the DC, MD and VA public schools to coordinate themselves and begin to be an Army of positive influence in helping their little brothers and sisters attending the schools that they had once attended.

Can the parents and concerned adults of the DC, MD and VA area prove to be the role model for Detroit, Cleveland, Philadelphia and the many other major cities in these "United" States of America?

Please indicate your success at contacting the Education Dept. of any local University to your community and stimulate and coordinate any graduate students if not Professors who will be willing to provide a few hours of their time in providing a few workshops during May and June to develop the tutorial skills of parents as well as concerned adults during the course of this summer.

Many a child can return to school in September with big smiles on their faces and with a renewed level of energy at meeting their upcoming academic assignments should they have experienced a comfortable academic tune up during the course of this summer.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, will be to begin to better employ yourself at helping your local youth do better in school. DC, MD and VA political bureaucrats will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

Edited by Karl Rudder

Thank You Jennifer. I had opportunity to meet a sincere gentleman yesterday with a background in developing computer skills. I am looking forward to coordinating with him a training program for the junior high school and senior high school students in responsibly developing their typing, writing and overall computer operating skills that the youth of today MUST have.