Washington DC Message Boards

Logan Circle Sucks

Guest travlr

Guest travlr

Just moved out here from parts further west and all I can say about my erswhile neighborhood is: what a urine-soaked, litter-strewn, grafitti-marred bottomless shithole.

Yeah, yeah, yeah -- spare me the lecture on all the quaint Victorian architecture, the coddled cocoon for alternative lifestyles, and all the artsy attractions headed its way -- it's a shithole folks.

I'm not really sure how that circular, grassy area confined by the "Logan Circle" itself qualifies as a park, either. Closer to a graveyard. I'm not about to let my kids run free through that little wonderland.

Actually I think the park itself is nothing more than a magnet for crime, a beacon of blinding blight.

Well, I hope y'alls property values and such continue to rise. But Jeez take a little pride in your neighborhood.

A suggestion would be to privatize the "park" -- take up a collection, buy it, and set up a trust to charge admission to those who wish to enjoy its attractions.

After all, what's owned by everyone is taken care of by no one.

Guest Millie

I think the community should start by cleaning up the trash in the park. I am going to get proactive and get together with my neighbors to start picking up the trash.

As one who has lived in Logan Circle for over 20 years, I can heartily attest to the longstanding commitment of the residents, businesses and institutions who have struggled and now continue consistently and diligently to work together to create a viable, diverse and livable community. As in any community there is always more to do and volunteers are always welcome.

To traveler, feel free to move back to whatever uninspired place you just left and make room for a neighbor who will contribute positive actions and solutions. You will not be missed here.

Consider starting by joining and working with organizations like Logan circle Community Assocition (www.logancircle.org) or ANC 2F (www.anc2f.org) who work with each other as well as National Park Service, Police and other government agencies and neighborhood focused institutions to make a positive difference.

LCCA had volunteer committees which provide an opportunity for members to become involved in shaping the outcomes on issues affecting their homes and community. This year's committees are: Membership Development, Historic Preservation, Beautification, House Tour, the South East Logan Circle Focus Group, Heritage Tourism, and Logan Circle Improvement.

In addition, LCCA liaisons work closely with Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2F, ANC 2F's Community Development Committee, the Alcohol Beverage Commission, National Park Service on improvements to the Logan Circle Park, and the D.C. Heritage Tourism Coalition.

Or start anywhere you think you can contribute, just don't complain and do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Optimist

you are missing something the neighborhood is working on making a come back & it takes time...Logan Circle is on the way up & it is a slow process. You being from the land of oz should go to Pittsburgh if you want to see a real ***brown trout*** hole. You need to look beyond...but it does not seem that you have the insight to do so. MAYBE YOU NEED TO GO WEST like the song says.

Guest Tony Williams

"As you can see, no one agrees with your very silly rant. Just how long have you been in the neighborhood and where did you come from?"

My name is Anthony Williams (Hi Anthony!) and I'm a recovering Logan Circle resident. I care more about giving your car parking tickets than keeping the scum from breaking into it.

I come from the Democratic party and I've been in this city for decades.

"You will not be missed here."

You forgot to mention that nor will there be any love lost.

"As one who has lived in Logan Circle for over 20 years ..." UMM. Yeah. You've been here for 20 years? At this rate even the third generation of your offspring will not be able to effect any positive changes around here.

Me in Logan Circle:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest new resident of 8 months

As someone who is finishing up his first year living in Logan Circle, I admit that I am somewhat underwhelmed by the neighborhood. Vandalism is much worse than I was led to believe. The parking nazis are 100% efficient. And the truth is, it does smell like urine. People told me that I'd enjoy the area if I wasn't freaked out by the high concentration of folks living "alternative lifestyles."

Had I known that "alternative lifestyles" meant thieves, bums, **nerds**, drug addicts, and undocumented immigrants, I would have reconsidered.

With hindsight, I wish I were still on The Hill.

• 6 months later...
Guest Washingtonian

I realize that I'm about a year late or so to reply, but nonetheless I must speak. To our friend from out West: I think it's crystal clear that you're not cut out for city living and no one really wants you in this city. So no love won, no love lost! No one can support a complainer. Man up and be a part of the solution instead of a sideliner. That's always the easy approach. Also, I must add that Logan needs improvement, but the Logan area has come a loooong way. A little history: From like the 1940's to the early 60's the main commercial strip of Logan was 14th Street. At the time the street was mostly comprised of Automobile show rooms, and was the ideal place to shop. (As was F, G, and H Street NW / Pre-shopping mall craze) After the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. misdirected rage lead to riots in such neighborhoods as Logan Circle. Those assaults on local commercial strips left those areas burnt out for decades! The masses therefore became incline to seek home ownership outside of DC. As a result of that most viewed DC as just a work center and not a place to lay your head. So there was no real motivation for revitalization. Many undesirable’s capitalized on this and 14th Street became the center of prostitution and drug pushing. Fast forward to 1997: Someone realizes that all these properties through out the city are actually worth something (architecturally wise) and mass revitalization commenced in Washington. Since big dollars are involved the city has been taking some initiative to clean up the city, but remnants of the undesirable are still present. And there lies the problem. Present day: So now many development companies are pushing that such places as Logan are the ideal place to be for "urban living". Fine. So be it, but if you’re infatuated with city living and desire to be here you have to take the good with the bad! Kind of hard to do though if you don't truly love the city as some of us actually do. You cannot survive city living people if you aspire for such only because you think it's “fashionable”. The same problem that’s affecting Logan is affecting U Street, Columbia Heights, Shaw, Adams Morgan, and probably soon Anacostia. People please “understand” that these neighborhood’s were hardcore hoods before people started seeing $ signs, and you thought oh, I've found my new home. So while I do see the concern I also see how far the city has come from the 70’s and 90’s. But, I cannot and will not empathize with those that want city living but cannot cope with the challenges that come with. See the truth is most had no desire what so ever to ever live in these neighborhoods in years pass, but now since someone is selling you the perfect picture you want it! I’m sorry it’s not going to happen. Yes, you paid at least 400K and you have to live with disturbances in the community. Did you really think that the people who lived there before you came would just leave because you moved in? Oh, nooo….really. If things continue to escalate in prices though you may get your wish being that most of the older resident’s won’t be able to pay the taxes on their property. Change takes time and I think time has shown that progress is possible, but I think for one to expect absolute change is unreasonable and out of human hands. If you can’t work with it though don’t fret Ryder or someone has a nice little “clean cul de sac” waiting for you outside of the beltway.

• 10 months later...

As a next door neighbor exiled in Shaw, I am delighted to see the urine stenched refugee camp remain in the center of Logan Circle guarded continuously by the legions of residents with defecating canines. I can't see why you folks put up with it, but we thank you as it keeps the vagrants and dealers out of our midst. We fought valiantly over the years using every tactic in and out of the book to remove the benches from of the trash-filled, blacktopped triangle ANC Commandante Padro dubbed "Woodson Park." (We prefer Bernie Goetz Park). We will continue to repell the urge to install benches in this traditional heroin and cocaine corner despite the dogoodnik urges of newcomers and social planners. So keep up your good work. We shall continue to invite Shaw residents there to share their much touted diversity with you.

• 4 months later...
Guest Kathy_*

My daughter's next door neighbor on Corcoran got mugged Saturday night around midnight outside her front door. Someone heard her screaming, looked out the window and the perpertrator knocked her down and ran away with her purse. Thank God she was not injured. Is this a common occurence in Logan Circle?

I'm an out of town mother of a 30 year old daughter.

• 4 years later...
Guest MarcMcus

I like your "proactive" attitude in "acting" rather than sinking into a complaint but get no results. Locan Circle used to be a "red light" district but NOT ANYMORE. The neighborhood owed it to a wonderful "people's Lieutenant" who solely 100% devoted to "clean up" the area and made it so safe and "livable." He is now retired, unfortunately, and has moved to s sunshine state in the south. We still miss him to this day our "people's Lieutenant."