Washington DC Message Boards

Living with Endometriosis

kburban

Since the summer of 1993 I have been diagnosed with a condition known as Endometriosis. It is quite painful.

I have had many surgeries and spent lots of money. Not having insurance for a few of the surgeries really put a hurting on my bank account.

I have probablly put out 20 to 30g's since then (1993) I was 23 years old then. I would have rather got a boob job or buy a house when I was able to.. And what the doctors promised would help has not helped at all. Before I had my first surgery the doctors thought I was faking it and when they operated they were surprised to see I was not.

I can't even begin to tell you how anoying it is to have pain everyday and not a whole lot of relief from my meds..

I thought someone might know what I can do. .I should know something after all of these years but I all the advice is the same. Get Surgery!

Never again.. I guess I have to live with this forever. Bummer!

Here is some facts about Endometriosis

The term endometriosis refers to a benign and common disease in which cells like the ones that line the inside of the womb are established outside the womb e.g. on the ligament supporting the uterus. in the ovaries, tubes, pelvis, bowels, bladder, etc. In patients with endometriosis, these cells, like the endometrium, respond to the monthly hormonal changes. When the woman with endometriosis menstruates, the endometrium is shed in the form of a period, the endometriosis breaks down in the same way but because these cells are trapped inside, and cannot escape, they form swellings filled with dark blood (known as chocolate cysts) and induces chronic inflammatory reaction and adhesions which may damage the tubes.

Endometriosis tends to occur in women who are in their 30s and early 40s, but occasionally occurs in those under 30 years of age.

Some patients with endometriosis may have no symptoms; some may experience considerable pain during their periods or during intercourse and their periods tend to be heavy.

On vaginal examination their may be tenderness and thickening of the supporting ligaments of the uterus in women with endometriosis. Ovarian cysts may also be felt by the doctor.

The majority of women with endometriosis are fertile. However, some women may experience difficulty becoming pregnant.

Guest human_*

Yeah!!! You are right, Just get use to it. I'm in pain 24/7; I use to take pain meds but gave them up.

You probably learned bio feed back like I did? "THE HARD WAY". <Nothing helps, controll it your self>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the summer of 1993 I have been diagnosed with a condition known as Endometriosis. It is quite painful.

I have had many surgeries and spent lots of money. Not having insurance for a few of the surgeries really put a hurting on my bank account.

I have probablly put out 20 to 30g's since then (1993) I was 23 years old then. I would have rather got a boob job or buy a house when I was able to.. And what the doctors promised would help has not helped at all. Before I had my first surgery the doctors thought I was faking it and when they operated they were surprised to see I was not.

I can't even begin to tell you how anoying it is to have pain everyday and not a whole lot of relief from my meds..

I thought someone might know what I can do. .I should know something after all of these years but I all the advice is the same. Get Surgery!

Never again.. I guess I have to live with this forever. Bummer!

Here is some facts about Endometriosis

The term endometriosis refers to a benign and common disease in which cells like the ones that line the inside of the womb are established outside the womb e.g. on the ligament supporting the uterus. in the ovaries, tubes, pelvis, bowels, bladder, etc. In patients with endometriosis, these cells, like the endometrium, respond to the monthly hormonal changes. When the woman with endometriosis menstruates, the endometrium is shed in the form of a period, the endometriosis breaks down in the same way but because these cells are trapped inside, and cannot escape, they form swellings filled with dark blood (known as chocolate cysts) and induces chronic inflammatory reaction and adhesions which may damage the tubes.

Endometriosis tends to occur in women who are in their 30s and early 40s, but occasionally occurs in those under 30 years of age.

Some patients with endometriosis may have no symptoms; some may experience considerable pain during their periods or during intercourse and their periods tend to be heavy.

On vaginal examination their may be tenderness and thickening of the supporting ligaments of the uterus in women with endometriosis. Ovarian cysts may also be felt by the doctor.

The majority of women with endometriosis are fertile. However, some women may experience difficulty becoming pregnant.

Yeah!!! You are right, Just get use to it. I'm in pain 24/7; I use to take pain meds but gave them up.

You probably learned bio feed back like I did? "THE HARD WAY". <Nothing helps, controll it your self>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been on a low dose of pain meds so if I stoped taking them I don't think I would go through too many withdraw simptoms.

Thank god for that. I always have hope that I will not be in pain some day! Surgery is definetley not the answer for me. There are other kinds of

alternative pain managment like acupucture and massage therapy but, those cost an arm and a leg. I am 36 so I have a normal everyday scedule that I am on.. I don't need a major change as far as that goes right now.

Thanks for your feedback! :D

Guest human_*

Have you ever gone to this web site? http://www.clinicaspace.com/search_results...ndometriosis%25 <~~~~~~~~They ARE the financials for the pharmaceuticals. <~~~~~~~~~Their web site is known as biospace.com

Then there is also clinicaltrials.gov

Electronic Orange Book Home Page; In order to provide timely consumer information on generic drugs, the Electronic Orange Book will be updated daily as new generic approvals occur. ...

www.fda.gov/cder/ob/ <~~~~~~ this one is a annoying to use though. Though they have made it a little easier with their addition of the FAQ link.

Yahoo also has a good medical directory, of which most people don't think about.

But I'm from a different time on the internet "When ALL the databases were still open to anyone who wanted to read them".

There Are several things I don't like about the internet, one of them being it's commercialization. It's a different game now adays.

To be honest, I haven't done this stuff in awhile, So I'm kinda rusty at it. I don't keep up on all the lastest medical info anymore, and there ARE doctors e-mail mailing lists out there; were they do e-mail each other as to the latest treatments etc etc etc.

How I went from all of this to politics? DON'T ASK. It's a very, very long story.

I have been on a low dose of pain meds so if I stoped taking them I don't think I would go through too many withdraw simptoms.

Thank god for that. I always have hope that I will not be in pain some day! Surgery is definetley not the answer for me. There are other kinds of

alternative pain managment like acupucture and massage therapy but, those cost an arm and a leg. I am 36 so I have a normal everyday scedule that I am on.. I don't need a major change as far as that goes right now.

Thanks for your feedback! :D

Guest DC_in_Puerto_Rico

MPOV:

Harshness KB.

I've never heard of such a disposition. I guess I am ignorant of dealing with life-long physical pail greater than my own.

I have serious bone-chip ancle-joint bone-grinding issues from multiple sports injuries and surgeries resulting in lost cartilage, and a colapsed arch. The first of these injuries happened was when I was only 18.

I have pain when I overextend the limits of my condition. I walked about two miles today around San Juan, and right now it pretty much feels like a "hobbler" from the movie "Misery!"

Pain medications only help, and never really resolve squatt. We are still in a position of cronic pain.

Again, as my issues get worse with age, I can only imagine what you are going through.

>>