Washington DC Message Boards

Bush Leaving Rural America Behind

The state-by-state report takes a detailed look at how the President has hurt the economy, education, health care and environmental quality in rural America. For example, in Iowa, the President has underfunded his own education plan by $37,732,100, proposed $631,700 in cuts to clean water efforts and denied 5,839 farmers assistance in implementing conservation practices. It also notes that rural communities have provided a disproportionate number of soldiers for the war in Iraq

Endorsed today by the National Farmers Union PAC, John Kerry believes we can do better and that America will be stronger at home when communities of all sizes and in all states have the resources and tools they need. As President, he will make rural and small-town America a priority with a comprehensive agenda to support rural communities.

“I believe a stronger America begins right here at home, and that means we need to do more to strengthen rural America,” Kerry said. “Today our rural communities are struggling, and instead of offering help, this President has turned his back. I believe we can do better - that we have a special responsibility to lift up our rural communities and small towns.”

Under George Bush, America’s rural communities and small towns have been left behind. He has failed to live up to his commitments to fund education, promoted irresponsible trade policies that will hurt American farmers and ignored the need to reduce dependence on foreign oil. While ignoring the needs of America’s rural economy, our rural communities have been hard hit with budget cuts, increased cost of living, a higher percentage of uninsured and increased disparities in living.

Among these disparities is overrepresentation in military call-ups. Rural communities in the South, Midwest and Rocky Mountain States are providing more soldiers to the war in Iraq as a disproportionate number of soldiers called-up for service have been from rural communities, putting additional strains on fire departments, police stations, health care facilities and schools whose personal are called up for duty.

Bush has also been slow to help rural communities reap the rewards of economic innovation. He has allowed America to fall to 10th in the world for broadband penetration, delaying rural communities access to the global economy.

“We cannot rest until all Americans – no matter where they live – have an equal chance at the American Dream,” Kerry said. “Together, we’ll build a stronger America that brings opportunity to family farms and Main Streets across America.”

Kerry begins his bus tour on Friday in Minnesota and continues over the weekend through Iowa and Wisconsin. On the tour, Kerry will visit families and communities to celebrate the spirit of America and discuss his plan to strengthen rural communities. Kerry’s plan includes ensuring economic opportunities, increasing access to health care, fair treatment of farmers, investments in renewable fuels and expanding broadband access in order to strengthen our small towns and rural communities

kerryicepark2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Human

" For example, in Iowa, the President has underfunded his own education plan by $37,732,100, proposed $631,700 in cuts to clean water efforts and denied 5,839 farmers assistance in implementing conservation practices"

What methodology are you using? and where are you getting your numbers from?

Please be specific.

"He has allowed America to fall to 10th in the world for broadband penetration, delaying rural communities access to the global economy. "

Just so you know, I have been online for twenty years. I have seen alot of changes. I have also seen congresses attempt to address the internet " namely during the Clinton Administration".

Look I remember when under Clinton the congress, as well as the senate past the "1995 Internet Decency Act ", much in that act we ALL are feeling today.(I'm trying to put this politely) .Many of the problems that we have today are do to that ACT.

What that “BILL" gave the ISP's, is FULL IMMUINITY from any prosecution for any crime committed on the net.

The broadband companies are going full out in bringing access to people as fast as possible, some lay cable, while others use Satellite dishes for areas that they can't get too with cable. Not to mention alot of people went to dialup.

NOW here is my question for the broadband comment that you made.

Where are you getting your information from??????????????

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.