Washington DC Message Boards

3 inverted pentagrams on GOP Logo

Guest Lisa

Guest Augustine

The actual company who designed the new Republican logo is called Pentagram.

Pentagram was one of four design firms asked to “resurrect” the beleaguered Republican Party brand for an exercise in Newsweek’s special end-of-year issue, on newsstands now. Our concept, designed by Michael Bierut, makes use of the “re-” prefix to create a family of words that define the party’s core values and emphasize the power of transformation.

http://pentagram.com/en/new/press/index.php?page=13

Pentagram is a design studio that was founded in 1972 by Alan Fletcher, Theo Crosby, Colin Forbes, Kenneth Grange and Mervyn Kurlansky in Needham Road, West London, UK. They now have offices in London, New York, San Francisco, Austin and Berlin.

Pentagram does work in graphic design, identity, architecture, interiors and products. They have designed packaging and products for many well known companies, such as Tesco, Boots, 3Com, Swatch, Tiffany & Co, Dell, Netgear, Nike and Timex. They have also developed identities for Citibank, United Airlines, and The Co-operative brand in the UK, winning a silver award from the Design Business Association. In 2007, they updated the visual identity of Saks Fifth Avenue.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Widow's Son

When pentacles point upward from their source, such as the stars on our flag, this is symbolic of the dominance of spirit over the material world. When pentacles point downward from their source, such as the new Republican logo, this could be symbolic dominance of the material world over spirit.

Guest Love a good conspiracy

There has been talk about this since it changed in 2000. Maybe they wanted to make it controversial like the New Coke vs. Classic Coke. I say bring back the old stars and there will be no controversy.

Guest Augustine

Graphic design is the purposeful combination of words, pictures and other visual elements to support the communication of an explicit or implicit message. - Michael Bierut, Designer of Republican Logo

Guest ALWAYSRED

I personally think this is all hogwash. But, Michael Bierut, is a known Liberal.

Michael Bierut designed a poster for the Democrats’ Artists for Obama initiative that’s unlikely to ever be officially sanctioned. The 40 × 26 inch poster features a new name for each of the fifty states, each set in a bright color in the candidate’s now familiar Gotham typeface.

MB_Obama_620.jpg

http://pentagram.com/en/new/2008/10/barack-obamas-fifty-state-stra-1.php

“The two party system only works when you have two strong parties,” says Bierut, a lifelong Democrat. “This theme isn’t meant to redefine the GOP — another appropriate ‘re’ word — but simply provide a context for that redefinition. The party of Lincoln deserves it.”

• 2 weeks later...
Guest August Havlicek

Whoever touches or dismantles our Constitution is a traitor to the Republic and everything for which it stands.

George Washington warned this may happen when we follow Parties. I understand Strength in numbers. There are now more Independent voters willing to start using their minds.

Message control is always the goal.

• 1 month later...

My party is changing to something I cannot support. The annual Conservative Political Action Conference invited the openly gay conservative group GOProud to the event. Watch the GOProud impose their moral standard on practicing homosexual misbehavior and further corrupt the Republican Christian platform. This surely is a sign of bad times to come.

As it is written in the Gospel of Luke, "Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." Things have not advanced much since then. Democracy is a constant struggle. Independent is not a bad place to be. I vote for the candidate that best follows my beliefs.

• 1 year later...

As a graphic artist, I find this fascinating and understand better, the power of graphic communications.

I prefer good communications over evil,

and truth over deception and confusion...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.