Washington DC Message Boards

Hillary Clinton Wins Big in West Virginia Primary

With votes from 12 percent of West Virginia's precincts counted, she was winning 61 percent of the vote, to 33 percent for Obama. Obama conceded defeat in advance, but was looking ahead to the Oregon primary next week

The Mountain State is used to picking winners. Every nominee has carried the state’s primary since 1976, and no Democrat has won the White House without winning West Virginia since 1916.

Democrats carried West Virginia in 1992 and 1996, but lost the state—and the White House--in 2000 and 2004. Hillary has predicted victory against Sen. McCain in West Virginia based on the strength of her economic message.

Barely a third of Clinton supporters say they'd vote for Obama over McCain, indicating a major divide provoked by the nomination fight that's yet to heal.

Here is Hillary's Victory Speech.

After tonight's tremendous victory here in West Virginia, it's clear that the pundits declaring this race over have it all wrong. The voters in West Virginia spoke loud and clear -- they want this contest to go on.

I'm listening to the voters -- and to you.

With your help, I'm going to carry the energy of tonight's victory into the next contests in Kentucky and Oregon. And just as always, I'll be depending on you to share every step of this journey with me. You have worked your heart out, put yourself on the line for what you believe in, and given generously. And I'm not about to turn my back on you.

We've proved conventional wisdom wrong time and again in this race. We did it again tonight in West Virginia. Let's keep going.

Thank you,

Hillary Rodham Clinton

Guest linymo

Inbreeding in the animal kingdom produces extremely deficient creatures. Obviously, the inbreeding that has taken place in West Virginia over the past century has led to an unimaginable ill-informed populace that are ready for any racist that takes them for a political ride!!!!!

Guest Win4Hillary

Hillary's BIG win in WV is going to be shocking to lots of people who have only heard the "pundits" talk @ BO and how insurpassable his lead is. I did the math on the "pledged" delegates. Including Puerto Rico's 63 winner take all on June 1st. Hillary will be within 50-54 "pledged" delegates before the South Dakota and Montana primaries. The DNC Credential committee meets on 5/31 to address the challenges from the people of Michigan and Florida. Former DNC Chair McAuliffe said that he originally stripped those 2 states of HALF the delegate total for trying to move up thier primaries. New DNC Chair Dean decided on his own to strip ALL the delegates from those state certified elections. If only half the delegates are seated for Michigan and Florida then Hillary would not only win the popular vote but the "pledged" delegates too. BO's camp had many of their supporters sign petitions stating that super delegates should not over rule the "pledged" delegate total. Hillary will win the delegate count. Fight on Hillary!!!!

Guest BlingBling_*

Clinton didn't win by enough tonight. She needed to have a 3-1 win, she only got 2-1. In order to win the nomination she needs at least 91% of the votes in the remaining 5 contests OR 172 of the remaining 189 delegates...

I'm for Senator Clinton, but I think the great likelihood is that Obama will be the nominee... As soon as I determine when that is, I'll send him a check. - James Carville, Hillary Clinton's Campaign Advisor

Guest Always Red

I hope Obama doesn't cede Kentucky like he did WV. I think he should spend more time there, it will be a good indication on whether he will be able to connect to these voters in the fall.

Guest linymo
frak YOU **smile**!!!!!!!

HILLARY IS A WINNER!!!!!!

Now, Now don't get too emotional. Everyone knows Obama does not do well with white southern racists. West Virginia is full of them. Kentucky will be no different.

Inbreeding in the animal kingdom produces extremely deficient creatures. Obviously, the inbreeding that has taken place in West Virginia over the past century has led to an unimaginable ill-informed populace that are ready for any racist that takes them for a political ride!!!!!

I really take offense to that comment. West Virginians are the most resourceful people that I have ever met. They have been kind and show me how to take care of things. I have a friend that may not be cash rich, but he owns land and is building his home with his own hands. When you speak out of ignorance it frames you as a thoughtless individual that speaks only by his emotions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.