Washington DC Message Boards

Super-targeting…what’s The Fuss About?

henryhill

software development team backed by the former chief of Compaq Computer and China's official English language Web site plans to unveil on Thursday a Web search system covering 30 million businesses worldwide.

China Communications of Hoboken, N.J., will detail a search system it calls Accoona that mathematically calculates links between search terms and words with similar meaning in order to increase the likelihood of finding relevant results.

The closely held company plans to introduce a publicly available search system in December that trawls through a database of 20 million U.S. companies and more than 10 million companies across Asia, Europe and the rest of the world. The site will be accessible in both English and Chinese, the company said.

"It's the richest database of Chinese businesses on Earth," China Communications President Stuart Kauder said in a telephone interview. "Huge amounts of information will be available that were never before online."

In contrast to Google, Yahoo or Microsoft--which rely on matching searches to keywords in a database--Accoona uses artificial intelligence software that can be trained to locate related information.

Fast Search and Transfer, an established Norwegian search technology company, employs a system of conducting searches on words with similar meanings.

"There are some very good search engines out there," said Kauder, an early employee at Internet advertising company DoubleClick who worked in TV advertising for 15 years.

"We believe that a gulf exists when it comes to locating business information," he said.

Accoona will allow Internet users to search for businesses according to an array of criteria including name, physical address, telephone, fax, business description, industry category, Web address and geographic location.

China Communications sees several business options for Accoona, including licensing the technology to established search companies. Accoona could also be harnessed to search internal company databases.

Rather than depending on Internet search systems known as spiders to "crawl" across Web sites to locate fresh information, Accoona relies on commercial deals with private information providers.

"We depend on proprietary deals to deliver hundreds of millions of records," Kauder said, adding, "One hundred percent of these deals are already signed."

New-media holding company China Daily Information owns a controlling stake in China Communications. The official English language Web site of China is ChinaDaily.comspam.

Jonathan Zhou, vice president of China Daily Information, said his company is looking to use Accoona search technology on its site as well as supply Chinese business information to the Accoona database.

Eckhard Pfeiffer, who serves as chairman of the board of consultants of China Communications, was involved in development of the technology, which began in 1999.

Pfeiffer was the chief executive of PC maker Compaq--now owned by Hewlett-Packard--for much of the 1990s. During his tenure, Compaq acquired AltaVista, one of the most powerful Internet search engines in the early years of the Web.

Kauder declined to give many financial details other than to say that the company would be valued at $137 million when it closes its next round of funding.

Guest Human
"There are some very good search engines out there," said Kauder, an early employee at Internet advertising company DoubleClick who worked in TV advertising for 15 years.

"We believe that a gulf exists when it comes to locating business information," he said.

That Qoute is so very true. Yet remember this (because this point is very important) all of the information on the net has come from some form of book "in NO MATTER What You See out there".

In some cases the internet is faster, and in other cases "it's slower than dirt".

Let me give you an example on the "slower than dirt internet"?

(If I want to know about a certian medicene, all I do is call my pharmacist, and he or she will give me the info far faster than what it would take me to look it up on the net.

Now let me give you an example of the lightening speed of the internet.

If I want the company info on the pharmaceuticals, then I go to the "orange book, link" at the fda web site, and I will get all of the manufactuers of a particular drug,doseages, contact info.Oh!!!, and let's not forget that handy dandy spell checker. I love my spell checker.) :rolleyes: