Washington DC Message Boards

Who is Melchizedek?

Guest Thomas

Is Ur-Shalem (Jerusalem) is a Canaanite word meaning, the house of Salem, the chieftain of the clan of Jebusites

Here is an interesting factoid from the Jewish Chronicle.

The name Yerushalayim is itself of disputed origin. Some see it as related to the name Irrusalim that appears in the 14th century BCE Armana Inscriptions. Ur means "city of" in ancient near Eastern languages, as in Ur of the Chaldees. Some believe that Yerushalayim is in origin Ur-Shalem. Shalem was the mini-kingdom ruled by Malchitzedek; the Bible's reference to "Malchitzedek, King of Shalem" (who fought on the same side as Abraham, Genesis 14:18), may well be its first reference to Jerusalem.

http://www.thejc.com/judaism/jewish-words/jerusalem

If that is true then, Melchizedek was a Jebusite priest.

Joshua 14

14:1 The following is a record of the territory assigned to the Israelites in the land of Canaan by Eleazar the priest, Joshua son of Nun, and the Israelite tribal leaders.

14:2 The land assignments to the nine-and-a-half tribes were made by drawing lots, as the Lord had instructed Moses.

14:3 Now Moses had assigned land to the two-and-a-half tribes east of the Jordan, but he assigned no land to the Levites.

14:4 The descendants of Joseph were considered as two tribes, Manasseh and Ephraim. The Levites were allotted no territory, though they were assigned cities in which to live, along with the grazing areas for their cattle and possessions.

14:5 The Israelites followed the Lord’s instructions to Moses and divided up the land.

14:6 The men of Judah approached Joshua in Gilgal, and Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite said to him, “You know what the Lord said about you and me to Moses, the man of God, at Kadesh Barnea.

14:7 I was forty years old when Moses, the Lord’s servant, sent me from Kadesh Barnea to spy on the land and I brought back to him an honest report.

14:8 My countrymen who accompanied me frightened the people, but I remained loyal to the Lord my God.

14:9 That day Moses made this solemn promise: ‘Surely the land on which you walked will belong to you and your descendants permanently, for you remained loyal to the Lord your God.’

14:10 So now, look, the Lord has preserved my life, just as he promised, these past forty-five years since the Lord spoke these words to Moses, during which Israel traveled through the wilderness. Now look, I am today eighty-five years old.

14:11 Today I am still as strong as when Moses sent me out. I can fight and go about my daily activities with the same energy I had then.

14:12 Now, assign me this hill country which the Lord promised me at that time! No doubt you heard at that time that the Anakites live there in large, fortified cities. But, assuming the Lord is with me, I will conquer them, as the Lord promised.”

14:13 Joshua asked God to empower Caleb son of Jephunneh and assigned him Hebron.

14:14 So Hebron remains the assigned land of Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite to this very day because he remained loyal to the Lord God of Israel.

14:15 (Hebron used to be called Kiriath Arba. Arba was a famous Anakite.) Then the land was free of war.

15:1 The land allotted to the tribe of Judah by its clans reached to the border of Edom, to the Wilderness of Zin in the Negev far to the south.

15:2 Their southern border started at the southern tip of the Salt Sea,

15:3 extended 3 south of the Scorpion Ascent, crossed to Zin, went up from the south to Kadesh Barnea, crossed to Hezron, went up to Addar, and turned toward Karka.

15:4 It then crossed to Azmon, extended to the Stream of Egypt, 5 and ended at the sea. This was their 6 southern border.

15:5 The eastern border was the Salt Sea to the mouth of the Jordan River.

The northern border started north of the Salt Sea at the mouth of the Jordan,

15:6 went up to Beth Hoglah, crossed north of Beth Arabah, and went up to the Stone of Bohan son of Reuben.

15:7 It then went up to Debir from the Valley of Achor, turning northward to Gilgal (which is opposite the Pass of Adummim south of the valley), crossed to the waters of En Shemesh and extended to En Rogel.

15:8 It then went up the Valley of Ben Hinnom to the slope of the Jebusites on the south (that is, Jerusalem), going up to the top of the hill opposite the Valley of Ben Hinnom to the west, which is at the end of the Valley of the Rephaites to the north.

15:9 It then went from the top of the hill to the spring of the waters of Nephtoah, extended to the cities of Mount Ephron, and went to Baalah (that is, Kiriath Jearim).

15:10 It then turned from Baalah westward to Mount Seir, crossed to the slope of Mount Jearim on the north (that is Kesalon), descended to Beth Shemesh, and crossed to Timnah. 15:11 It then extended to the slope of Ekron to the north, went toward Shikkeron, crossed to Mount Baalah, extended to Jabneel, and ended at the sea.

15:12 The western border was the Mediterranean Sea. These were the borders of the tribe of Judah and its clans.

Africa_in_400_BC.jpg

Is it possible that Melchizedek was a priest of Horus?

The Jebusites were a Kushite people who originated in the Nile region. What is known about the Jebusites indicates that they migrated west into Nigeria where they controlled the major water systems at the conjunction of the Niger and Benue Rivers and at the Atlantic coast near modern Lagos. They also migrated east into the land of Canaan where one of their leading men - Melchizedek - was the ruler-priest of Salem (Jerusalem) in Abraham's time (Gen. 14:18).

The modern day Jebusites are the Ijebu and they live near and have close association with the modern day Edomites who are called "Edo." Both tribes live in Nigeria and Benin. In Canaan the Jebusites lived next to and had close connections with the Horites of Edom.

The ruler-priests who controlled the ancient water systems that connected West Africa to Mesopotamia were Horites. That is they were devotees of Horus, whose worship along with his father Re and his virign mother Hat-hor, spread along the water systems from ancient Kush to Mesopotamia and beyond. This was about 10,000 years ago when there was a great Kushite migration and the Sahara was much wetter.

http://jandyongenesis.blogspot.com/2009/07/jebusites-unveiled.html

35.9.20a-w-crop.jpg

Book of the Dead of the Priest of Horus, Imouthes (Imhotep)

Period: Late Period–Ptolemaic Period

Date: 350–250 B.C.

Geography: From Egypt, Middle Egypt, Meir (Mir)

Medium: Papyrus, ink

Dimensions: h. 35.2 x w. 1930.4 cm (13 7/8 x 760 in.) approximately based on sum of sections; originally a continuous roll about 72 feet long

Credit Line: Gift of Edward S. Harkness, 1935

Accession Number: 35.9.20a–w

http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/551786

I wonder if the The Ancient and Sovereign Order of Melchizedek follows the beliefs of Horus.

Become a fully ordained priest and minister of peace after the Order of Melchizedek. Follow the ancient path of Yeshua who was so ordained in this most ancient and sovereign order and learn the true teachings of the Nazareans. Set foot on this life altering and enlightening path.

http://www.templeofmelchizedek.com/becomingapriest.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting tidbit of information that I will have to research

The Book of Jubilees

From "The Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha of the Old Testament" R.H. Charles Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1913

(a) Jubilees was written between 153 B.C. and the year of Hyrcanus' breach with the Pharisees. (1) It was written during the pontificate of the Maccabean family, and not earlier than 155 B.C., when this office was assumed by Jonathan the Maccabee. For in xxxii. 1, Levi is called a 'priest of the Most High God.' Now the only Jewish high-priests who bore this title were the Maccabean, who appear to have assumed it as reviving the order of Melchizedek when they displaced the Zadokite order of Aaron. Despite the objections of the Pharisees, it was used by the Maccabean princes down to Hyrcanus II (Jos. Ant. xvi. 6.2).

http://wesley.nnu.edu/index.php?id=2127