Washington DC Message Boards

Understanding Mitt Romney

Guest Bernie

Melchizedek is not so much a name as it is a title or designation of honor. It is a position or office that has to be filled by a worthy candidate.

Here is a good resource:

The Mormon Faith of Mitt Romney: What Latter-day Saints Teach and Practice

By Andrew Jackson

http://books.google.com/books?id=pIMACOruWRoC&lpg=PA98&ots=W-T9NTLhJY&dq=Mitt%20Romney%20Melchizedek&pg=PA74#v=onepage&q=Mitt%20Romney%20Melchizedek&f=false

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Augustine Havlicek

Republicans can thank Rush Limbaugh for voting in President Obama. He convinced his listeners to vote in Obama in the primary races. Hillary would have won and the world would be a different place.

Rush Limbaugh is cancer to the conservative movement. It is going to happen again in Michigan.

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists. - J. Edgar Hoover

I do not think Rush Limbaugh is in the Brotherhood of Death. He is just another shock jock like Howard Stern. The only difference is Howard makes me laugh laugh.png

CNN replayed a February 3 interview with Ron Paul that I never watched until last night. Anyone that caught this show learned that Dr. Paul is not a lunatic. He is a straight shooter and has a well thought out philosophy on personal liberty.

• 1 month later...

Remarks by Vice President Joe Biden on Manufacturing at a Campaign Event

Mitt Romney has been remarkably consistent -- (laughter) -- as an investor/businessman, as the governor of Massachusetts, and now as a candidate for President, remarkably consistent and I respectfully suggest, consistently wrong. (Applause.)

Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, when he was CEO of Bain Capital, Bain Capital closed down two factories in South Florida that made medical devices, moving the production to Germany. They shut down a plant in South Carolina and cut jobs in another one in Rhode Island that made photo albums and picture frames and outsourced production overseas. I’m tempted to say, Mitt, thanks for the memories. (Laughter.) You know what I mean?

As governor of Massachusetts, he repeatedly slashed funding for workforce training in manufacturing specifically. And despite the fact that millions of taxpayer dollars were flowing to companies outsourcing state services like overseas call centers, he vetoed a bill passed by the Massachusetts legislature that would have stopped the state from outsourcing contracts overseas, state contracts.

Look, think about it, a Massachusetts taxpayer with a question -- this is how it works -- with a question about Massachusetts state services, picks up the phone, dials an 800 number expecting to talk to somebody in the Massachusetts government to get an answer to their question. And instead, he talking to -- or she’s talking to someone on the other side of the world and all of it paid for by his or her tax dollars. I find that kind of fascinating. (Laughter.) No, I really mean it. I mean, that’s one when I was told about, I said, I’m not going to say that until you fact check that for me again.

But think about it, it’s one thing for the local company to outsource a call service, but for the state government to outsource a call service that’s set up to answer questions for people in the state about a problem they have with the government, to outsource that, denying folks in Massachusetts the jobs that are attendant to that? Is it any surprise to you that Massachusetts, under Governor Romney, was losing manufacturing jobs twice as fast as the rest of the country?

Now, as a presidential candidate, he has proposed a new international tax system that zeroes out taxes for companies that create jobs outside the United States of America. I’m not making this stuff up.

Look, your -- President Obama and Governor Romney, Joe Biden, and whoever the nominee is going to be, we are talking about taxes and the burden on manufacturers. But there’s a big difference. Our tax cuts go to companies that create jobs over here. The Romney tax cut goes to companies that create jobs overseas. It’s a fundamentally different philosophy from ours.

When China was dumping tires into the international marketplace, hurting American manufacturers of tires and their workers, President Obama stepped up and enforced our trade laws and won. Governor Romney, at the time, called what the President has done protectionism. That’s his quote -- “protectionism.” Now, when it’s politically expedient, he wants to get really tough on China.

Look, it’s a different philosophy. Governor Romney has called the President of the United States “out of touch” -- that's a quote, “out of touch” -- for encouraging young people to try to get manufacturing jobs. Out of touch? Romney? (Laughter and applause.) I mean, pretty remarkable, pretty remarkable. As an old friend of mine says, that’s chutzpah. (Laughter.) Look, the Wall Street Journal wrote, “Romney appeared to scoff first in Detroit, then in Florida at the notion of manufacturing as a job engine for the future.”

So, look, folks, we have a choice in this election between our philosophy that believes manufacturing is central to our economy and their philosophy that scoffs at it, between our philosophy that says there is nothing out of touch about fighting for the future of the middle class by creating manufacturing jobs -- a philosophy that says if the folks at the top -- and their philosophy says if the folks at the top do well, everything else will do well. How many times have you heard about the job creators?

Guest American4Progress

Romney Helped Fund Race-Baiting, Anti-LGBT Group, Secret Document Shows

Earlier this week, we told you about the previously secret documents that revealed the National Organization for Marriage’s (NOM) divisive, race-baiting strategy for combating marriage equality — a strategy which was quickly denounced by leading civil rights organizations including the NAACP.

Another secret document revealed today by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) shows that NOM’s hateful effort to take away marriage equality in California in 2008 was funded by none other than leading Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney, via his Free and Strong America PAC.

In a move that raises several questions, it appears that Romney’s PAC used an elaborate scheme to evade disclosing its donation. If the federal account of Romney PAC had made the donation, it would have been quickly disclosed in Federal Election Commission reports. Instead, the more obscure Alabama chapter of Romney’s PAC made the donation to NOM. As the Huffington Post notes, Alabama’s lax campaign finance laws make it a haven for questionable political spending activities.

HRC was quick to raise questions about the donation:

“It’s clear now that Romney was a major financial donor to Prop. 8,” said Fred Sainz, HRC’s vice president for communications. “But it’s also clear that his campaign very cleverly hid this contribution in an obscure Alabama PAC.”

“His spokesperson said that Romney had financially supported Prop 8 but there’s no disclosure of a contribution to any Prop. 8 effort, personal or through the national or Alabama PAC,” Sainz added. “He instead chose to give to NOM, an organization that has a history of shielding its donors. For what other purpose would you contribute $10,000 to NOM three weeks before the election other than Prop 8?”

HRC’s president also called Romney’s funding of NOM’s hateful campaign “beyond despicable”:

“Mitt Romney’s funding of a hate-filled campaign designed to drive a wedge between Americans is beyond despicable,”
said Joe Solmonese, president of Human Rights Campaign.

If not for the whistleblower who provided the NOM document to HRC, it’s possible that Romney’s donation to NOM may never have come to light.

Throughout the 2012 campaign, Romney’s penchant for secrecy has raised questions, particularly concerning his refusal to release most of his tax records, the disclosure of a previously unknown Swiss bank account, and the deletion of nearly all emails from his term as governor of Massachusetts.

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW: Does Mitt Romney agree with NOM’s shameful and divisive strategy of pitting African-Americans and Latinos against LGBT people in order to halt progress toward marriage equality?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Messina

By now you've probably seen the news: The amazing -- and amazingly negative -- Republican race for president is all but over. Mitt Romney is almost certainly our opponent in this election.

That means America will have a very clear choice come November.

The President believes that this is a make-or-break moment for the middle class, and that without a strong and thriving middle class, we'll never have the growth we need.

That's why he's fighting for an economy rooted in our fundamental values -- one in which Americans can not only find work, but where folks who work hard can get ahead, responsibility is rewarded, and everyone, from Main Street to Wall Street, plays by the same rules.

He's fighting for an economy that's built to last, with a genuine and sustained commitment to education and training, advanced manufacturing, and homegrown, American energy.

He's fighting for a country in which every child has a chance, and every American, after a lifetime of work, can count on retiring with dignity and security.

And he's fighting to ensure that the responsibility for delivering on that future is broadly shared, which means ending the budget-busting tax cuts for the wealthy that add to our deficits and crowd out the very investments we need to grow.

Mitt Romney has a different, and frighteningly familiar, view.

He thinks you grow our economy from the top down.

He'd take us back to an economy based on outsourcing, risky financial schemes, and massive tax cuts for the wealthy. He'd return to the policy of allowing Wall Street, Big Oil, and other special interests to write their own rules.

But that's not all. Here are five other things that should give Americans pause.

Forward this message -- and if you're ready for this fight, say you're in.

1. Romney's positions are the most radically anti-women of any candidate in a generation: He supports banning all abortions, backed a so-called "personhood" amendment that could make certain forms of birth control illegal, and says he would "get rid of" federal funding for Planned Parenthood that provides preventive services like cancer screenings for millions of women.

2. Romney would repeal Obamacare. Insurance companies would once again be allowed to run up premiums, unjustifiably deny coverage for pre-existing conditions, drop patients when they get sick, discriminate against women by charging them more for coverage than men, and spend more of your premium dollars on CEO profits and bonuses instead of your actual health care.

3. Romney is a risk when it comes to foreign policy and national security. On many of these questions, he has shifted his position for political reasons, even within the same campaign. His only clear commitment is to endless wars: He has no plan to end the war in Afghanistan and would leave our troops there indefinitely. He called the President's decision to bring our troops home from Iraq by last Christmas "tragic."

4. Despite the lessons of recent history, Romney would double down on the disastrous tax policies that handed windfalls to the wealthy, but stacked the deck against the middle class. Under Romney, millionaires and billionaires would get a $250,000 tax cut, while families with kids making less than $40,000 a year would, on average, actually see their taxes go up. To the surprise of no one, Romney also opposes the Buffett Rule. He would allow millionaires to continue to take advantage of loopholes and special deals that often allow them to pay a lower tax rate than the middle class. And he supports tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas.

5. Romney would end Medicare as we know it -- replacing it with a voucher scheme that would drive profits for insurance companies by forcing seniors to purchase private insurance, paying whatever costs a voucher wouldn't cover out of their own limited budgets.

Romney and his special-interest allies are going to spend the next seven months trying to deny, downplay, or hide these facts from voters. It's on us to speak the truth.

So print these out, post them on your fridge, and share them on Facebook. Send this list around to friends who are on the fence.

When and if your mother-in-law, or cousin, or best friend claims that Romney is "moderate," you need to know what to say.

You are the President's voice out there, and I can't stress enough how you will be the difference between voters hearing our message or not. The more Americans learn about Mitt Romney, the less they like him, and the less they trust him.

Are you ready? If yes, say so:

http://my.barackobama.com/Ready

If people know the truth about Mitt Romney and President Obama, who they are, and their very different plans for this country, there's no way we can lose this thing.

This race is on.

Let's go,

Messina

Guest American4Progress

A top aide to the former Pennsylvania senator told reporters that Santorum and Romney agreed to meet in the near future, and Romney sent out a press release praising his opponent as “an important voice in our party and in the nation.”

But as Romney pivots to the general election with Santorum’s help, it’s important to remember that the former rival leveled some serious charges against the presumed nominee that should not be forgotten.

Here are Santorum’s top 10 hits on Romney:

1. LIAR: “If [Romney's health care] policy is bad, the policy is bad. And a bad policy is one thing. But lying to the American people is something else.” [National Journal]

2. “ULTIMATE FLIP-FLOPPER:” “He glosses over and doesn’t even tell the truth. … Here is a guy who is the ultimate flip-flopper running for president, and he’s attacking me for not being principled? That doesn’t wash.” [Examiner]

3. ETCH A SKETCH CANDIDATE: “One of Governor Romney’s aides today on television said that Governor Romney, after he wins the primaries, will be like an [Etch A Sketch] — you take whatever he said and you can shake it up and it will be gone, and he’s going to draw a whole new picture for the general election.” [Washington Post]

4. MIGHT AS WELL RE-ELECT OBAMA: “You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who’s just going to be a little different than the person in there. If they’re going to be a little different,we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk of what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate for the future.” [AP]

5. OBAMACARE: “He created the blueprint for Obamacare and advocated for exactly what Obamacare is, which is a mandated health insurance program…it is exactly the Massachusetts health care plan. …He is uniquely disqualified.” [MSNBC]

6. “WORST REPUBLICAN IN THE COUNTRY”: “Pick any other Republican in the country. He is the worst Republican in the country to put up against Barack Obama.” [NBC]

7. “WEAK CANDIDATE:” “We can’t nominate such a weak candidate. I’d love to be able to get one-on-one with Gov. Romney and expose the record that would be the weakest record we could possibly put up against Barack Obama.” [Huffington Post]

8. “WALL STREET FINANCIER:” “I heard Governor Romney here called me an economic lightweight because I wasn’t a Wall Street financier like he was. Do you really believe this country wants to elect a Wall Street financier as the president of the United States? Do you think that’s the experience that we need? Someone who’s going to take and look after as he did his friends on Wall Street and bail them out at the expense of Main Street America.” [ABC]

9. BUSINESS EXPERIENCE DOESN’T MATTER: “Running a business is not the sameas being president of the United States.” [CNN]

10. BAILOUT HYPOCRISY: “Governor Romney supported the bailout of Wall Street and decided not to support the bailout of Detroit. [AP]

• 3 months later...
Guest Jennifer Petty

Despite pressure from the press and even members of his own party, Mitt Romney is willing to release only two years of tax returns.

Over the weekend, Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley called on Romney to release his returns to show the American people that he’s got “nothing to hide.” Former RNC Chairman Michael Steele also called on Romney to release more tax returns.

Well, I for one think he’s hiding something, and I want us to help President Obama and Democrats up and down the ticket fight back.

• 2 months later...
Guest Patrick Gaspard

A man who is running for president of the United States thinks that half of all Americans aren't worth his effort or time -- that they see themselves as victims, and don't take responsibility for their lives.

Putting aside the factual inaccuracies in that statement, think about how badly he's misjudged the character of this nation. This man should not be president.

Guest TheyCube

The page has been removed.

Rush Limbaugh is a member of the Brotherhood of Death.

http://www.archive.o...danthonyJHilder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfSWkz19b7A

The best way to intimidate people to lose their rights is through staging terrorism. The best way to convince people to give up their rights is through welfare entitlements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERtwgGujTHY

Guest Romney Victory

After his statement went viral, he spoke with Jon Ralston

I worry that the frontrunner for the Presidential nomination choice of words were not a misstatement. Soledad O'Brien gave Mitt Romney the opportunity to clarify his statement. He actually repeated it to her. Then he added the following:

Faith working through love” (Galatians 5:6) is seen as the root of all good which results from the lives of those who believe in Jesus Christ. Works of piety and works of mercy are fruits of the Spirit in the lives of those who follow Jesus. Such works also help the believers to live their lives in communion with God and to be “co-workers with God” (1 Corinthians 3:7) in the field of God’s mission and in ministry to the poor and to those who need the love of God most.

President Barack Obama spoke of his personal faith Thursday as he delivered remarks for the third year in a row at the National Prayer Breakfast.

First of all this is a campaign about the 100 percent and over the last several years you’ve seen greater and greater divisiveness in this country. We had hoped to come back together, but instead you’ve seen us pull apart and politics has driven us apart in some respects. My campaign is about the 100 percent in America and I’m concerned about them. I’m concerned about the fact that over the past four years life has become harder for Americans. More people have fallen into poverty; more people we just learned have had to go onto food stamps. When the President took office 32 million were on food stamps, today 47 million people are on food stamps. Now I know that I’m not going to get 100 percent of the vote and my campaign will focus on those people we think we can bring in to support me. But this is a campaign about helping people who need help. Right now the people who are poor in this country need help getting out of poverty, the people in the middle class need help because their incomes have gone down every year for the last four years. Jobs are harder to find, we have 23 million Americans out of work or stopped looking for work, or underemployed. Half of the kids coming out of college aren’t able to get jobs or jobs consistent with a college degree. And this is a tough time for America. And I’m convinced that if we take a different course, based upon my experience, a course that will reignite America’s economy, you’re going to see those numbers change. You’re going to see people coming out of poverty. You are going to see incomes rising again in America. That’s the course that I think we have to take. And by the way with regards as to how I’m confident that that’s what can happen. I have a record. I’ve demonstrated my capacity to help the 100%.” – Mitt Romney

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Marion

I did not realize that Mitt Romney supported the Gay and Lesbian community. He should let more voters know, and he will get more votes.

http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Profiles/Governor/Massachusetts/Mitt_Romney/Views/Gay_Marriage/

October 6, 1994

To the Members of the Log Cabin Club of Massachusetts:

I am writing to thank the Log Cabin Club of Massachusetts for the advice and support you have given me during my campaign for the US Senate and to seek the Club's formal endorsement of my election. The Log Cabin Club has played a vital role in reinvigorating the Republican Party in Massachusetts and your endorsement is important to me because it will provide further confirmation that my campaign and approach to government is consistent with the values and vision of government we share.

I am pleased to have had an opportunity to talk with you and to meet many of you personally during your September meeting. I learned a great deal from those discussions and many thoughtful questions you posed. As a result of our discussions and other interactions with gay and lesbian voters across the state, I am more convinced than ever before that as we seek to establish full equality for America's gay and lesbian citizens, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent.

I am not unaware of my opponents considerable record in the area of civil rights, or the commitment of Massachusetts voters to the principle of equality for all Americans. For some voters it might be enough for me to simply match my opponent's record in this area. But I believe we can and must do better. If we are to achieve the goals we share, we must make equality for gays and lesbians a mainstream concern. My opponent cannot do this. I can and will.

We have discussed a number of important issues such as the Federal Employee Nondiscrimination Act (ENDA), which I have agreed to co-sponsor, and if possible broaden to include housing and credit, and the bill to create a federal panel to find ways to reduce gay and lesbian youth suicide, which I also support. One issue I want to clarify concerns President Clinton's "don't ask, don't tell, don't pursue" military policy. I believe that the Clinton compromise was a step in the right direction. I am also convinced that it is the first of a number of steps that will ultimately lead to gays and lesbians being able to serve openly and honestly in our nation's military. That goal will only be reached when preventing discrimination against gays and lesbians is a mainstream concern, which is a goal we share.

As we begin the final phase of this campaign, I need your support more than ever. By working together, we will achieve the goals we share for Massachusetts and our nation.

Sincerely

W. Mitt Romney

There is no way to know for sure what Romney position is on Abortion or Gay Rights. Romney told The Des Moines Register’s editorial board Tuesday there’s no legislation regarding abortion “that would become part of my agenda.”

Will the real Mitt Romney please stand up.

You are also busted for telling those people that do not currently have insurance and have a preexisting health condition that they will be covered is HUGE LIE !!!!

mad.gif

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.