Washington DC Message Boards

HAVE YOU BEEN THE VICTIM OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE?

JasonR

HAVE YOU BEEN THE VICTIM OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE?

http://www.dc2006.net

Dear Ward 3 Ladies:

I need your help on two matters.

In May 2006, I need 250 ladies in Ward 3 who are registered Democrats to sign their name to the ballot petition issued by the D.C. Board of Elections & Ethics so as to put my name on the ballot for the Tuesday, September 12th, 2006, Democratic Primary elections.

I need your support because I want to do what no other council member has done or is willing to do. What is that?

The fact is 50% of you ladies will sometime in your life be physically assaulted by a boyfriend or your husband.

Currently, we have in DC a ZERO TOLERANCE LAW which has been and still is a PAPER TIGER. By this I mean, if a man strikes you, he will be arrested and spend one night in jail and that is all he will face even though he will have to go on trial for it; but just one night in jail is all he will face on the 1st, 2nd and even 3rd offence even if you suffer bruising, a broken nose or rib and cannot go to work for days.

If elected as the next Ward 3 City Council Member, I want to immediately propose legislation that will amend our ZERO TOLERANCE LAW that makes it a FELONY for any man to strike a woman with a mandatory jail time of 10 days on the 1st offence, 30 days on the second offence and 180-360 days on a 3rd offence to be followed by a 1 year paroling that requires that the offender attend both anger management and psychological counseling.

This is what I want to do for you if elected as our ZERO TOLERANCE LAW sounds great on paper but the reality is, it hasn’t deterred domestic violence to any meaningful degree.

Can I get your support? If so, please give me a call at 202-361-3472 and also tell all your friends in Ward 3 what I want to do for women who have or will face an abusive boyfriend and/or husband.

Respectfully,

Jonathan R. Rees

Candidate for Ward 3 DC City Council