Washington DC Message Boards

Reinstating The Draft??!!

Pending Draft Legislation Targeted for Spring 2005

The Draft will Start in June 2005

"There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft."

The above is an excerpt from a longer article that was brought my attention at Congress.org. The article in it's entirety can be viewed at: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues...=ua_congressorg

I feel as though, not many people know about this pending legislature. Am i suppose to believe that I'm this misinformed?

-Sarah (the DCpages intern)

Guest No Draft

Compulsory service in the military will be a likely priority of either Mr. Bush or Mr. Kerry since both have stated an intention to "stay the course" in Iraq. Pending in both the US House and Senate is the "Universal National Service Act of 2003"; twin bills, HR 163 and S89; which will re-institute the military draft in the spring of 2005.

How come nobody is talking about this? I do NOT want to DIE for oil!!!!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.