Washington DC Message Boards

Parking at New Baseball Stadium Must Not Crowd Out Development

Mayor Anthony A. Williams today repeated his position that the proposed parking garage near the new ballpark in Southeast should be underground or built in such a way that permits development around it. The mayor told reporters that building a 1,200-space parking garage underground before the ballpark’s 2008 opening is feasible, economical and aesthetically desirable. He also noted that the nine DC Council members who voted in favor of the baseball project earlier this year all endorsed setting the parking underneath development. Mayor Williams said that he has asked Steve Goldsmith, the chairman of the Anacostia Waterfront Corporation and the leader of a task force that’s working to steer the project to completion, to press for underground parking to benefit the District’s long-term interests.

“I strongly believe that it’s in the best long-term interest of the District to put these parking spaces underground, not above-ground as is frequently done in the suburbs,” said Mayor Williams. “It will serve the ballpark as well as the surrounding community for us to place this parking garage below ground so that we can build a productive mix of affordable housing, office, retail or residential development on top of the project. If we put the cars underground, as we do throughout most of the city, the District will reap more long-term benefits and millions of dollars in tax revenue. I want to encourage everyone involved in the undertaking to keep their eye on the big picture; we aren’t just building a stadium. We are creating a healthy cluster of development that will raise the standard of living for all our residents, reshape both sides of the Anacostia River and help make our city a livable and walkable place for the next 100 years. We should not sacrifice that vision for short-term gains.”

Guest Ghost Dancer

The baseball stadium project has consumed half of the District's contingency fund already-and the city and MLB atre in a new catfight about parking. The city calls underground parking "mandatory" for its "ballpark district," while baseball calls the delays associated with building it "not viable." Amazingly, the entire baseball deal could still collapse, leaving DC with a demolished area or a partially-built stadium and no team.

The baseball deal will not collapse. Their is TONS of money to be made, they will find a way. In fact this morning I heard on WTOP that they've agreed on a comprimise. The parking will be built partially underground, with the above ground portion "wrapped" by retail/residential. Sounds like a plan.

The baseball stadium project has consumed half of the District's contingency fund already-and the city and MLB atre in a new catfight about parking. The city calls underground parking "mandatory" for its "ballpark district," while baseball calls the delays associated with building it "not viable." Amazingly, the entire baseball deal could still collapse, leaving DC with a demolished area or a partially-built stadium and no team.

An underground parking garage could lead to a higher cahnce of being being robbed.

Bad idea.

The baseball deal will not collapse. Their is TONS of money to be made, they will find a way. In fact this morning I heard on WTOP that they've agreed on a comprimise. The parking will be built partially underground, with the above ground portion "wrapped" by retail/residential. Sounds like a plan.

Based on what?

Go back to your hole. It is much better here without you, Jonathan.

By the way, I was waiting for you or Ramon to do a shout out last night at the Ward 3 Dems forum.

B. Frank

An underground parking garage could lead to a higher cahnce of being being robbed.

Bad idea.

Ramon was at the debate but I was not.

I didn't miss a thing.

Based on what?

Go back to your hole. It is much better here without you, Jonathan.

By the way, I was waiting for you or Ramon to do a shout out last night at the Ward 3 Dems forum.

B. Frank

Funny, Ramon said on DC Wire that he was going to attend the Eaton debate and challange candidates, especially Brooks on certain issues. If he was there last night (laughing at the thought), then why didn't he take the opportunity to ask Sam a question with the microphone in hand? Others ask questions of the candidates!

I doubt "Ramon" was there.

That, or he is too chicken to back up his anonymous postings on the internet with Real action.

I challange you or Ramon to back up your words and threats at the next forum. Ward 3 dems are havingt two more, and CCCA may be having one as well.

B. Frank

Ramon was at the debate but I was not.

I didn't miss a thing.

Sorry Bfrank but I gave Rick Rosedall my word that I would not do as you are asking but rather just take my allegations about what Sam Did to the voters as I already have via email.

Funny, Ramon said on DC Wire that he was going to attend the Eaton debate and challange candidates, especially Brooks on certain issues. If he was there last night (laughing at the thought), then why didn't he take the opportunity to ask Sam a question with the microphone in hand? Others ask questions of the candidates!

I doubt "Ramon" was there.

That, or he is too chicken to back up his anonymous postings on the internet with Real action.

I challange you or Ramon to back up your words and threats at the next forum. Ward 3 dems are havingt two more, and CCCA may be having one as well.

B. Frank

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.