Washington DC Message Boards

Funniest Rees post yet!

What's funnier than bragging about one's educational background -- while employing poor grammar and spelling, malapropisms, run-on sentences, incorrect word choices and logical errors? Absolutely nothing!!

Taking Our DC Schools Back to the Four Basics

Jonathan R. Rees, jrrees2006@verizon.net

Despite the fact that DC has some of the best educated people in the United States this is up for debate. I find that too many of us are well educated in one area but not in enough areas. Thus most of us are guilty of being a master of one subject matter but of no other. Case in point, a few years ago I met this man who said he had a PhD. in education and was running for a position on our school board. He asked me: “Where are you from?”, and I said: “Puerto Rico.” He responded by saying that once I become a citizen, he would appreciate my vote! Duh. Here we have a man with a PhD. who did not know that Puerto Ricans are US Citizens. This man is just one on a long list of people I have met in DC who are considered part of DC’s brain bank. The sad thing is, a good education rarely equates to common sense or a knowledge of some of the most basics needed in life.

We hear often that Johnny just graduated with his Master’s degree but he cannot effectively read and write, and this is because Johnny had a watered down curricula in grade school and never really mastered English or the other basic subjects because he was too busy going on field trips, playing sports, or hanging out with friends. When I was going to school, I did not have a calculator or computer to assist me with my math and thus I learned how to do algebra, geometry, calculus, and other matters without the help of modern technology and thus I have retained what I learn. Sit a young person down with a basic math test but do not allow her/him the use of a calculator and was how he/she will fail that test.

My point here is, if it were up to me, I would take away from the DC Public Schools all computers and/or limit their use in a student’s studies, no more calculators allowed in the classroom or when taking tests and focusing on the four basic subjects from grades 1-8 and reserve additional studies in other matters for grades 9-12, as it was when I was growing up and my generation did from grades 9-12 learn a foreign language and other matters well.

###############

That's funny, I thought he was born Italian and moved to the US as a youngster.

Here is a note from "Pam":

http://www.dcmessageboards.com/index.php?showtopic=7497

So which is it? Is Rees Italian or Puerto Rican?

B. Frank

Taking Our DC Schools Back to the Four Basics

Jonathan R. Rees, jrrees2006@verizon.net

He asked me: “Where are you from?”, and I said: “Puerto Rico.” He responded by saying that once I become a citizen, he would appreciate my vote! Duh. Here we have a man with a PhD. who did not know that Puerto Ricans are US Citizens.

That's funny, I thought he was born Italian and moved to the US as a youngster.

Here is a note from "Pam":

B. Frank

My all-time favorite Rees Classic was contained in this post, when he was confronted about his contradictory public claims of being both "the only Latino in the Ward 3 race" and "100% Sicilian."

http://www.dcist.com/archives/2005/12/18/o...nist_take_1.php

Let it never be said that Our Hero was humble enough to admit his error. No, like all invincibly ignorant, grandiose personalities, he instead embarassed himself by attempting to assert that common knowledge, not he, was in error! Italian people, he says, consider themselves to be Latino!!

I have, lets just say, some knowledge in this area and it's an absurd assertion. When someone brings this to his attention, notice how he grabs helplessly for any link between "Latino" and "italian". Amazingly, he decides to point out that the Italian language has its root in Latin! When other posters call him on the fact that "Latin" is a language whereas "Latino" refers to a cultural group (else the French would also be "Latino").. hethrows out increasingly desperate "explanations" and finally becomes belligerent. Typical, and very funny!

Where is the contridiction?

If Rees moved to Puerto Rico from Italy then he moved to the US.

Geez Bfrank you sound like that person who does not know his US geography.

That\'s funny, I thought he was born Italian and moved to the US as a youngster.

Here is a note from \"Pam\":

B. Frank

Where is the contridiction?

If Rees moved to Puerto Rico from Italy then he moved to the US.

Geez Bfrank you sound like that person who does not know his US geography.

Welcome Scooper!!!! Do YOu live in Ward 3? Who do you like for councilperson?

Do you like food of any kind? Have strong feelings about the Judiciary? Enjoy cribbage?

Italians are Latins just as are the French, Portugese and Spaniards.

In the US, we tend to associates Latins with only the Hispanic population but in Europe their interpretation of what a Latin is differs.

My all-time favorite Rees Classic was contained in this post, when he was confronted about his contradictory public claims of being both \"the only Latino in the Ward 3 race\" and \"100% Sicilian.\"

http://www.dcist.com/archives/2005/12/18/o...nist_take_1.php

Let it never be said that Our Hero was humble enough to admit his error. No, like all invincibly ignorant, grandiose personalities, he instead embarassed himself by attempting to assert that common knowledge, not he, was in error! Italian people, he says, consider themselves to be Latino!!

I have, lets just say, some knowledge in this area and it\'s an absurd assertion. When someone brings this to his attention, notice how he grabs helplessly for any link between \"Latino\" and \"italian\". Amazingly, he decides to point out that the Italian language has its root in Latin! When other posters call him on the fact that \"Latin\" is a language whereas \"Latino\" refers to a cultural group (else the French would also be \"Latino\").. hethrows out increasingly desperate \"explanations\" and finally becomes belligerent. Typical, and very funny!

Italians are Latins just as are the French, Portugese and Spaniards.

In the US, we tend to associates Latins with only the Hispanic population but in Europe their interpretation of what a Latin is differs.

WELCOME BACK JONATHAN!!!!!!!! We knew if we talked about you, you'd sign up a new alias and start posting again. Thanks for proving us right! Yet again.

We are talking about "Latins". We're talking a about you claiming to be "Latino." Entirely different.

Ya got caught, dude. Move one.

In the main, you're wrong about the Italy/Latino thing, no matter how you parse or backpedal. And you know it. EVERYONE knows it. Repeating misinformation makes it no less wrong. It's wrong. Inaccurate. Untrue. Factually incorrect. Ya poor sap. The more you keep at it, the nuttier you look. Though I would have thought you'd reached the absolute apogee of nutmanship by now.

You clearly haven't spent any time in Europe since your alleged emigration from Italy. Oh, but I have. You have no idea how foolish this is making you appear to me and anyone who REALLY knows Europe. Please keep at it, because I continue to be amused, and filled with the most delicious sense of superiority.

Yes I live in ward 3, I am a registered Independent, I will wait to the general election to see who are the choosen people and then vote. I like steak, I have no feelings about the judiciary and never played cribbage.

Welcome Scooper!!!! Do YOu live in Ward 3? Who do you like for councilperson?

Do you like food of any kind? Have strong feelings about the Judiciary? Enjoy cribbage?

Truthseeker you appear to be incredible ignorant about what constitutes a Latin and sees it from an American not a European prospective.

The OXFORD Dictionary unlike the WEBSTER dictionary defines a Latino as:

• noun 1 the language of ancient Rome and its empire. 2 a person from a country whose language developed from Latin, e.g France, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

WELCOME BACK JONATHAN!!!!!!!! We knew if we talked about you, you\\\'d sign up a new alias and start posting again. Thanks for proving us right! Yet again.

You\\\'re wrong about the Italy/Hispanic thing. And you know it. EVERYONE knows it. Repeating misinformation makes it no less wrong. It\\\'s wrong. Inaccurate. Untrue. Factually incorrect. Ya poor sap. The more you keep at it, the nuttier you look. Though I would have thought you\\\'d reached the absolute apogee of nutmanship by now.

You clearly haven\\\'t spent any time in Europe since your alleged emigration from Italy. Oh, but I have. You have no idea how foolish this is making you appear to me and anyone who REALLY knows Europe. Please keep at it, because I continue to be amused, and filled with the most delicious sense of superiority.

Yes I live in ward 3, I am a registered Independent, I will wait to the general election to see who are the choosen people and then vote. I like steak, I have no feelings about the judiciary and never played cribbage.

Truthseeker you appear to be incredible ignorant about what constitutes a Latin and sees it from an American not a European prospective.

Oh, but see you're just plain wrong. My perspective is NOT native-born American, but native European. My academic background, if I may mention it, makes me quite capable, thanks, of offering an authoritative statement on this subject.

What a hoot! You have no idea how foolish you sound, sir. None at all.

Please go back to DCWire and CityPaper, where your inane posts can be moderated into oblivion.

Most people in the US can point to their background as being European but how far back?

Probably you were born here.

Oh, but see you\'re just plain wrong. My perspective is NOT native-born American, but native European. My academic background, if I may mention it, makes me quite capable, thanks, of offering an authoritative statement on this subject.

What a hoot! You have no idea how foolish you sound, sir. None at all.

Please go back to DCWire and CityPaper, where your inane posts can be moderated into oblivion.

Again I question your sanity when you seem to have a long string of posts assuming you are here to post things you believe are being posted by Jonathan Rees which takes away from any credibility you might have.

In other words, you sound like just one more nut case on the internet.

Nope. I would imagine you\'d get tired of always being wrong, eventually.

It\'s tragic, really.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.